Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 14: Monza

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 597 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Poor enough sprint, after the first lap everybody settled down and kinda accepted where they were

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

Its Monza, doesnt strike me as good opportunity for a spring race. DRS is not effective so low overtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

It's got nothing to do with morals or backbone. He's a pro. He knows he's not the best driver in the world and he knows his role in the team. Nobody would level this criticism against Perez for getting out of the way. Maybe, if Perez ever manages to be fast enough to be ahead of Max, he'll tell Horner to sit on a hard one. Bit the reality is he'll get out of the way because that's his job as a no.2.

What has Bottas done or been asked to do, that's morally dubious?

They all get free tyre choice for the start tomorrow. Normal rules apply after that re using 2 compounds. It seems most will go for a 1 stop race with hards and mediums or hards and softs if they're feeling particularly adventurous and they think they can manage the tyres through the race. Presuming most will start on the softer compound that they intend to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

You have to ask yourself tho, if your so often ahead of your teammate that you need to be asked to move aside with such regularity… might you be as fast a driver on race day???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭McFly85

Really surprised with Hamilton’s start but makes for a fantastic race tomorrow. Him versus the McLarens will be interesting early on. I expect the story of the race will be can he get by them, and can he do it quick enough to put a challenge into Max.

But I wouldn’t rule out a McLaren win either, they’ve looked great this weekend. Already can’t wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Remember what Daniel is playing for tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,610 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Is nerves getting the best of Lewis now he's being challenged at the front consistently? It's been too easy for him for years, but now, little negatives such as a poor start are really emphasised when the other cars around him are decent challengers.

And it seems that the Merc isn't as dominant on the Monza circuit when running out of battery at the end of each lap. It's such a power track, that trying to regen for one lap will leave you far behind the driver in front on the next lap.

He'll have a tough race on Sunday, but suspect a bit of luck with pitstops and safety cars, with help team strategy will get him up a few spots.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

You could ask, but the answer would be pretty apparent. Bottas is a decent driver and occasionally is as fast or even faster than Hamilton. He gets no hop in these threads but he's a good, decent driver and this has probably been his least competitive season against Hamilton. Yet he qualified in first while playing the diligent no.2 and ploughing the air for Hamilton. That's a great performance.

Who knows, maybe Perez will some day reach out of mediocrity and get ahead of Max every once in a while too. As it stands he qualifies so poorly that he's never likely to get ahead of Max in a race on merit.

Bottas and perez are held to totally different standards. Bottas has failed to be a genuine challenge to Hamilton as an equal driver. Perez is miles off Max but gets credit because he was a decent no.2 for the first part of the season. He's on a poor run of form in the last few races though. If you had the choice of Bottas or Perez I'd pick Bottas all day long, he's just a faster driver.

It seemed pretty clear that Hamilton was faster than Lando, but he couldn't get past the mclaren with a Mercedes engine. The safety car helped the mclarens to preserve preserve their soft tyres. Softs were a gamble and it paid off. On the same tyre I'd expect Hamilton to have gotten past one or both of the mclarens. He can use strategy in the race and they'll probably all start on the mediums, so I'd expect him to get up to second after the pit stop.

Passing max with with Honda might be easier than passing the mclaren with a Mercedes engine. But catching and passing max might be too much to ask after being held up and passing the mclarens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I think Verstappen will be too far ahead by the time Hamilton gets passed the two Mclarens

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

It is possible that Ricarrdo will pas Max right at the start. This could be due to a different tyre choice or just a better launch. I'm a Max fan, so I hope this will not be the case, but Ricarrdo is good so this possiblity can not be ruled out. Combine this with a good strategy from Mercedes plus a little luck and Hamilton could quite easily finish ahead of Max.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

66/1 for the top 3 to finish as they line up on the grid. Insane value. I know the McLarens were on softs yesterday but Hamilton didn’t lay a glove on them, and I can’t see him risk a DNF by sending it up the inside into a chicane.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

He wasn't clear cut faster at all. Norris was never even defending the line so it does seem that the McLaren is genuinely fast at this circuit.

Merc saved a boat load of softs but now the medium is a factor after the sprint race. I still see him getting on the podium but in race trim, the RB seems fairly handy and the straightline speed is negated in the race when you can't run the battery at full tilt for too long. Seems the Merc uses up a lot of theirs over the lap as well and derate towards the end of the straights.

Could be a great race, or a procession.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,366 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I wouldn’t be betting on anything until they all get passed the first corner because that could be a mess, because all it takes is one driver to mess up their breaking into the corner and there could be distance boards being smashed and people taking the escape route. It’s why Lewis being in fourth isn’t great.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

• Registered Users Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭rameire

Hamilton and Norris to collide on the first corner.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

The US open win crosses over to the F1.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,978 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

The two Ferrari's right behind Lewis could be a problem for him if he doesn't get a clean start. I expect a first corner incident of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,606 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Why are they like this? It's the F1 coverage on a dedicated F1 channel and they're banging on about tennis. I don't care about tennis

• Advertisement

Lewis stuck in his DRS zone, on harder tyres. Under normal circumstances I'd day that means he's faster even though he failed to overtake. On the same tyre he'd have had a better chance of overtaking too. And with strategy, I'd expect him to finish ahead of both mclarens. If Hamilton got ahead of norris, I doubt he would have been able to fight back in the same way.

The mclarens are fast alright. They qualified best of the rest and miles ahead of Perez.

Well they has to mention it because it’s a big story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Whos on for a drinking game, one shot for every LH moan.

I will be in hospital by lap 10.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11,095 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

The softs aren't clear cut faster over the mediums in this case though, they are very close in terms of speed and durability it seems. He either needs to get them at the start, or hope that the undercut works today. I still see him on the podium, and they all still need to get through the first corner in one piece as well.

Mention it and move on I could live with, interviewing drivers ahead of a grand prix and asking them about someone winning at tennis is dumb

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Shoot a double if he says his tyres are dead within 10 laps!

Lunatic, are you trying to kill everyone?! 😂

Isn’t usian bolt still the fastest man on earth given that he still holds the 100M world record.

• Advertisement

The lads at Alpha tauri are trying to sort something out.

Advertisement