Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

9/11 20th anniversary

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭TobyHolmes

Today is not the day for this. Come back tomorrow. Today is to remember the people who died on this day. Please have a moment of respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The usual PSA: the conspiracy theorists and "on-the-fencers" will be along in no time

the doors were locked to the roof after 1993. People falsely believed it was an option to evacuate from the roof so in fact even if they wanted to - they couldnt so it wasnt even an option. Many on this day tried to get to the roof :(((

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Even at the time you could learn a lot from a PC flight simulator too, enough to maintain a course and altitude. Not enough to take off or land, but the hijackers skipped the former and had no concerns about the latter. Once set, the autopilot can maintain your course and altitude, and changing either of those is a literal twist of a knob. In my estimation they used the autopilot to get close enough to their targets, maybe taking control only in the final seconds.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 13,768 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I was working on a year out between education.

We were working on a pilots house eerily enough, in Castleknock. He came out to tell us what had happened and ushered us in to the TV where we eventually saw the second plane hit live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,190 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah whole thing was mad. Our teacher told us he thought World War 3 had started. Walking home we were hearing all sorts of rumours, car bombs hitting court houses, Yasser Arafat claiming responsibility with the PLO, more attacks were imminent as more planes had been hijacked, it was a surprise Chinese strike, etc

Got home and saw New York in this huge plume of smoke. Didnt know what to think. Like everyone else glued to the TV that day and night.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,758 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I was reading the ‘our world in data site’.. which is a scientific and accurate site.

i had an aunt caught up in the same attack that you mentioned . However that doesn’t prove anything re: the wider discussion and point.

that attack was politically motivated also...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Is it?

World can be a very dark place. The price of a human life isn't much these days.

You have to laugh tho, as "safest times to be alive in the history of the planet" - he says during a global pandemic lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Former President George W. Bush is currently speaking at Shanksville PA, where flight United 93 crashed. NBC is streaming it on YouTube here.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

because you want to debate and highlight the cause and the effect. none of us here are ignorant to that. There are other threads about that.But a memorial is a memorial. It is about remembering this particular day and what people experienced on the day. You are missing the point about memorials and remembrance. But sure do what you want. I wont be responding to you again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,031 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The Heartland Tapes is on tonight at 7pm and again at 11pm on Smithsonian. Also repeated tomorrow at 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That is really worth a watch just to see the flavour and shock of the reporting on the day. RTE's "Ashes of 9/11" on the experiences of Irish people on that day is worth a look too. 1 story of a man who escaped the Towers, only to find his sister and 4y.o niece were on flight 175...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Unless we radically change our way of life the attacks will continue, but in doing that we give into fear and destroy the very thing the islamists also seek to destroy.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 16,333 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

You're the only one bringing it up.

Pop back to the conspiracy theories forum you're so fond of where you can feel important.

Post edited by nullzero on

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I was 18, started college the same week, finished early on the day and went home. Home to watch the news and I couldn't watch it. It was horrific and that kind of news upsets me. I remember everyone glued to the TVs, but I just couldn't watch the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Avon8

So why did they not hit the Pentagon as they should? Why did they cause the least amount of damage possible if it was so easy to fly ground level at those speeds

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,273 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

9/11 is still morbidly fascinating all these years on, have been watching a lot of the documentaries recently shown on tv. America must do some amount of work behind the scenes to make sure no major attacks have taken place since. It's actually quite incredible really, given their unpopularity in a lot of Middle Eastern countries. Plane security is so high nowadays that it's unlikely we'll ever have any major attack again (hopefully), but I'm genuinely surprised that America has never experience any, say, Mumbai or Paris-style Islamist attacks. I guess its testament to all the work done behind the scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

incredible that it's not covered in school history classes. I asked a history teacher once and she said they'll discuss it if brought up, but it's not due on the curriculum for another ten years or so. Some of the kids she teaches, thought it was a scene from "an old disaster movie".

Dunno, they just flew the plane into the side of the Pentagon, luckily they hit the side under construction or it's likely the death toll would have been much higher.

Lol, I know your "views" on 9/11. I've rarely seen a 9/11 thread anywhere on this forum not turn into a dumpster fire of conspiracy theorists and their "on the fence" validators. Just pre-empting it and hopefully this one doesn't descend into the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

The Bank hotel in Newtown Sydney. Pretty pissed with a buddy of mine and the Mrs. Chatting away half steamed and the bartender gets our attention and points to the tv behind us. I never sobered up so quick. Madness.

2.5 hour documentary on More4 right now:

9/11: 102 minutes that changed America

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Avon8

Here lad, you're in with one of your thousands upon thousands of posts "disproving" conspiracy theories. Maybe it's a hobby for you?

Always hilarious when you've the utter crackpots saying it was an inside job and then comes weirdos who spend their life disproving said crackpots, defending 'checks notes' George Bush, Donald Rumsfield and Henry Kissinger from blame, to rightly blame the Middle aged people wearing turbans in the east rather than the terrorists wearing suits in the west. I find this more weird than the tin foil hat 'inside job' yahoos

• Registered Users Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Yeah well it was a very inventive attack and it's extremely unlikely with all the airport security introduced since anything like 9/11 will happen again. The US's biggest problem is ironically homegrown mass gun shootings, on their land anyway.

I have to say, the 9/11 memorial is stunning. It's just prefect. What is that white winged structure beside it, I hadn't see that before today from today's TV coverage. I take it it's a large sculpture of some kind, not a building, idk. I don't think much of the freedom tower though, it's just looks like a lame shadow of the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

I will be buying one of these anniversaries' jerseys. I have a cousin that is a fire chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

the white thing has stores and a subway in it to jump on a train

I think it's part of the WTC transport hub, it's huge inside, think it's the third largest in the world.

"lol" there's an entire forum for discussing conspiracy theories surrounding 9/11 where you can grandstand to your hearts content.

Your "pre-empting" is just you expressing your views in a manner as graceful as a brick to the face.

Without veering into the territory of back seat modding this thread is clearly about people's memories of 9/11 as it happened. The first mention of conspiracies came from you. Like I mentioned previously, you have an entire forum dedicated to arguing with the same small group of people you have been arguing with for well over a decade on this topic with.

As your condescending tone suggests to anyone unfamiliar with that forum, it is a "dumpster fire" all of it's own.

Glazers Out!

Harrowing stuff in parts, the footage of the fire fighters grimacing as the screams of falling people turn to loud thuds is a part that makes me wince every time. The fact that we all watched these people die live on TV is something that never gets any easier to deal with.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Just watched 9/11: Inside the Presidents War Room, good doc, demonstrates they really had little idea what was happening. The paranoia was so high that the pilots of Airforce One posted a guard outside their own cabin door.

Advertisement