Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going to the Cinema during Covid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,816 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

santana75 wrote: »
    I went to see les miserables and after 20 minutes I'd lost the will to live. I was led to it under false pretenses, I had no idea they would be singing the entire feckin' film. La la Land on the other hand is magnificent from start to finish. Its inspiring and uplifting and I find it hard to believe that anyone who has sat through this movie could possibly dislike it. The people who've I talked to who say they dont like it.......turns out they never watched it all, or only watched a few minutes then turned it off. The greatest Showman is also uplifting and inspiring.
    I am the same as you. I also nearly lost the will to live watching that in the cinema. Worst film I ever seen in the Cinema.
    All right I will admit I had no right to call "La La Land" crap. I have not seen it but will watch it next time I get a chance too. It does seem like it could be a decent film. So I take back what I said about it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭santana75

AMKC wrote: »
    I am the same as you. I also nearly lost the will to live watching that in the cinema. Worst film I ever seen in the Cinema.
    All right I will admit I had no right to call "La La Land" crap. I have not seen it but will watch it next time I get a chance too. It does seem like it could be a decent film. So I take back what I said about it.

You won't regret it, in fact there's a good chance you'll end up loving that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Space Dog

santana75 wrote: »
    A musical, to me anyway, is a film with proper, non-singing dialogue, and the odd song thrown in there(such as La la land).

Well that's where you're wrong :) There's a lot wrong with the film version of Les Mis, but the fact that it's sung through isn't one of them.
    Evita, Starllight Express, Hamilton, Cats and many others are fully sung-through.
    There's even more that are mainly sung but have a few lines of dialog - Phantom of the Opera, Rent or Sunset Boulevard, to name a few.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Just been to the Vue, great to be back watching movies on the big screen.
    Went to see Monster Hunter, son and I were the only 2 in the theatre - :pac:

Cinema, popcorn and coke, loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,937 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

In the earth is a must see for lovers of extreme psychedelia who want to go to the cinema and feel alive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

So do you have to mask up the whole time your there or is just until your seated ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,482 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

So do you have to mask up the whole time your there or is just until your seated ?

Just until seated you have to wear it. Off then obviously.

Went to In The Heights last week.

Enjoyed the experience of going to the cinema again and it was just me and my GF in the screen we went to.

As an aside, was beyond pleasantly surprised with the movie. Thought I’d hate it but have found myself listening to the soundtrack a good bit now.

Not a fan of Broadway so I liked the way it was done. Didn’t enjoy Hamilton for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

callaway92 wrote: »
    Just until seated you have to wear it. Off then obviously.

Went to In The Heights last week.

Enjoyed the experience of going to the cinema again and it was just me and my GF in the screen we went to.

As an aside, was beyond pleasantly surprised with the movie. Thought I’d hate it but have found myself listening to the soundtrack a good bit now.

Not a fan of Broadway so I liked the way it was done. Didn’t enjoy Hamilton for that reason.

Oh great that sounds ideal I miss the cinema loads and gonna chance going back when Black Widow comes out , thanks :)

Wanted to go see a movie last night but everything at my local was sold out. I know theres a max of 50 people per screening, and I was disappointed not to be able to go, but I was happy to see the cinema doing such brisk business once again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I noticed Cineworld is asking people to wear masks the entire time, except when eating.

I’m sure it’s not policed particularly strictly, but stood out as most places are “you can take your mask off when seated”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,539 ✭✭✭Penfailed

I noticed Cineworld is asking people to wear masks the entire time, except when eating.

I’m sure it’s not policed particularly strictly, but stood out as most places are “you can take your mask off when seated”.

It would take the entire viewing for me to finish my popcorn in that case.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,403 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That is odd, the lighthouse has a message at start saying you can take off your mask when seated.
    Does that mean Cineworld dont need to space people out as much?

I went to in the heights today in the lighthouse, I would say maybe 20 people well spaced it was very pleasant.
    Loved the film as well

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I haven't been back since but it seems Omniplex have a rule where masks must be worn except when eating or drinking. I have literally zero interest in going if this is the case - can somebody confirm if this is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

Buy some popcorn and sit with it on your lap and you won't have to wear a mask.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

According to their website you only have to wear a mask when social distancing isn’t possible such as in the foyer or when not sitting in your assigned seat.

Its not true. I've been to Omniplex a few times since it opened up again, havent bought food or drink once and I take my mask off once in the theatre itself. Everything is fine that way. You have to wear a mask in the foyer, entering and leaving, but thats about it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Cineworld was still well spaced out when I went there with every second row empty and three seats empty either side of us (admittedly it was an early Saturday morning show). I did find it a little odd that the rule was different there. It could be just a choice made by head management, although at the same time the rules in the UK (which we're generally under) would be very different.

Seems like theres been a change with cinemas and their policies. In Omniplex anyway. When booking a film this week I noticed that now they're saying you have to show proof of vaccination upon entry. I looked at their website and it says that they have the option of operating at 50 persons per screen or 60% of capacity where all people are vaccinated. Looks like they've chosen option 2. So now if you aren't vaccinated you cant go to the cinema?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,295 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Light House and IFI are also asking for COVID certs from this week.

Difficult decision for cinemas due to the practical issues involved. But 60% capacity is a massive increase, so no surprise they’re opting to go with that.

Under the current plan the requirement should be lifted from October 22nd.

Yeah I understand its a business at the end of the day. Hopefully that will be lifted after the 22nd of October. Although it looks like cineworld arent requiring proof of vaccination so for those who havent been vaccinated at least theres one place to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I went last night and they didn't ask. Signs out saying to have ID and vaccine pass but no one asked. Not even sure they have the staff to ask really without slowing getting people into the screen a lot too tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Movies at Swords scanning covid certs on the way in last night.

They've also changed their Monday deal from a large to a medium 😯

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

Good move. They get an increase in business and those of us who’ve been vaxxed can have a decent concern free night out.

I went to a local non-chain cinema tonight. No asking for a pass or otherwise.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

I don't see why you would be concerned in the first place. The seat separation measures where were such that there was a fair distance between people anyway. I don't recall even one case being traced back to the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭OU812

Means I don’t have to be concerned AT ALL. Not even a little bit.

People who have been vaccinated can still spread Covid. People who have been vaccinated can still get Covid. Maybe you should be a little bit concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Getting the vaccine means you are unlikely to die, or get seriously ill. You could still touch a surface and spread it to someone else. If you get it you will be infectious for shorter time than someone unvaccinated. Which means a cinema full of vaccinated people are less likely to have it, and spread it less. But you could still catch it. The risk is low though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Whats happening in cinemas anyway, are they social distancing people, and will that stop on the 20th?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Went Omniplex Sunday to see Shang-chi, no vax questions, usual scan and sanitize before ordering food.

Went again yesterday and now they're scanning the Vax certs as well, with gaps of 1 between seats, no big impact.

All I want is Nachos back..but they said it's cos of Brexit and a shortage of nacho cheese.

Shook to the core.

Advertisement