Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kerry GAA discussion thread #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Same As

I personally think this would be a backward appointment for Kerry. I would fear that he's been left behind by the modern game. His work with our U20's (where things get a bit more tactical than Minor) would lead me to this. His term with Kildare wouldn't exactly have been much to write about either.

There is a dearth of candidates for the job within the county. Fitzmaurice and less so Jack are probably the only two candidates. Perhaps Pat O'Shea, but I don't think his current role at Munster GAA would allow it. Nobody really at the top table at club level that would stand out IMO. Nobody who has managed at underage level over the last 3 years would fill me with a load of confidence either.

No doubt we're probably too proud to consider someone from outside the county, even though the same vacuum of candidates probably exists there too.

A very negative post, my apologies! 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is too much obession with who the manager is. Its the rest of the setup I be as worried about. Really you need your manager to have the ability to put in place a game structure, set the team and game stragety, have the ability to makes changes during a game to the way the game is moving and use substitutions to either manage the end of the game or change what is happening on the field. Yes he will have input from coaches and from selectors, but I see that as his main role. A lot of that ability is either in a manager or not. Even with players an ability to read a game is in them or not and often no amount of coaching changes that.

But you need an S&G coach, a backs coach to see the defensive structure and a training coach or two. Where we have failed under Keane is on game managment. Last Sunday we owned the f@@king ball but were unable to carry our a game plan, basically we did not put the f@@king ball over the bar. Instead we seemed obessed with trying to creat goal chances, we got turned over and Tyrone raced down the field and because we were over committed to attack we had no defence in place. If we had put the ball over the bar instead of trying to create goal chances we would have won the game. If instead of all our wing and corner backs all going forward in support if 1-2 hed there position in the defence we would not be under such pressure in defence. .

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Have to disagree Bass(on the obsession with the manager point), it's the manager that ultimately decides the game plan, you say later in your post how we owed the ball, which in Many parts of the game we did.our own Kick strategy was 100% for a change and we cleaned tyrone out, the lads were clearly instructed by management to go for goals, PK even said it after the game, slight paraphrase here "last year we were criticised for not getting goals, so this year we wanted to put that right"

I've rewatched it a few times now, trying to focus on different things each time, and the more I watch it, the simpler it seems to have won. Alright we can go into the nitty gritty if we want a perfect performance, but the game was simple lost on the line.

The amount of effort put in by the lads was massive, the amount of hard running they did was frightening, trying to implement the managers gameplay. While tyrone were allot more economical with their defence in the main remaining in position.

If we take our points and keep the score board ticking! We build a lead and as the game progresses, Tyrone have to start taking more chances and come out! Then the space is there for the goals. It seems PK thought we would just overrun them early rather then have to break them down. I don't think it's a massive S+C or player type problem, it's just a case of a manager getting it wrong with a fital decision and then failing to realise it in time. So no massive return to the drawing for me, but a new more tactically aware manager is called for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

you can blame the manager all you like but Kerry actually played ok for the most part but are short 3 or 4 players at this level ,We all know who they are but do you blame the manager for that because it is the same positions that we have the problems area now for 3 years .The subs brought on were no better

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

It may be a bit of both @cute geoge, Whatever about being short a couple of players they conceded 35 turnovers to Tyrone by running recklessly at their defence all day long when it wasn’t working, and they didn’t really change anything, even in to ET they were still at it. You can’t win at this level doing that. The approach and game planning is down to Peter Keane and his backroom support, it’s difficult to argue that they got it right on the day.

There were also matchups lost, individual errors made, and some simple incidents of misfortune that contributed to the defeat without a doubt. It’s not one definitive area where they fell short, it was more a combination of factors in my opinion.

I have heard many people say that Kerry didn’t show up. I don’t actually agree. There were some really good individual performances from Kerry and they battled really well throughout but Tyrone knew how to frustrate them and take them out of their comfort zone.

• Advertisement

No I Don't accept that argument anymore. No team is perfect but with the panel we have available It's not good enough to pedal out that tired argument.

This is his third year in charge. What he has shown is that he seems to be incapable of influencing a game from the sideline at this level. The management team decided to dispense with Donie Buckley( I actually defended a managers right to pick his management team) in hindsight this seems not to have been the correct decision.

I cannot understand the rational of putting a lad center back that had lost his place at wingback. Would Crowley have held the center better that PM.

After ten minutes in the match the last day I said to a friend if we did not start taking our point's we would lose the match. Anybody with any bit of tactical nous would have been screaming it from the sideline at that stage and given out yards at the first water break if your advice was not followed.

We won every kickout in the first half from both goal keepers and were lucky to go in only a point down. Tyrone set up without 2-3 marquee forwards every commentators said that Tyrone was going to set up defensively and we tried to run through them got turned over and Tyrone scored from these turnovers. We seemed to have it in our head about creating goals not putting the ball over the bar.

Finally the last goal Tyrone scored was the third goal that we conseeded from a hit and hope type ball since last October. One against Cork , Tommy Walsh was in front of his man, against Dublin in the league Diarmuid O Connor was in front of his man and last day it was Jack Barry and guess what he was in front of his man. If we play the type of game we do did anyone not coach players that might be one on one in that situation how to deal with a high ball since Tommy Walsh conseeded against Cork.

So sorry if the manager is not to blame who the f@@k is

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I just dont think the players you have mentioned don't have it in them ,no amount of coaching will improve them it looks like .A u12 coach would have reprimanded Barry for his suicidal clearance that led to the 3rd goal a brain fart bit of defending .Is there not 3 or 4 better players in the county to be got .Look how long it took them to bring paudie clifford on board .We need a c.b. 2 mid field and w.f. and possibly a c,f .Passangers on the team is what is catching us out

• Registered Users Posts: 28 King Power Fox

Kerry have 2 marquee forwards. How many do you realistically need to win an All Ireland. At 5 points down after the third goal Kerry played well and scored some good points. I think at that stage the players said to hell with it and the shackles came off. By the way the last free to draw the game in normal time was what a friend of mine from Kerry would called a puddin of a free.

A new Center Forward? Jesus we have the best center forward in the country. We just need to play in there. I agree with the CB call tho. Either we play GC there or find someone new but we can't get away with playing PM there. But more importantly against teams that like to load the defence and break we need our CB to just sit and hold his position.

An auld lad up at the match reckoned Mike Breen was the answer at cb.

I was happy enough (in general) with our backs the last day to be honest. I know plenty of lads here have been calling for JB to start at midfield for a while but I was never a big fan of the guy, he does try very hard and perhaps in certain situations is handy to have there but his display the last day only confirmed my suspensions of him. DOC has to play there with another guy and Adrian Spillane is not good enough at this stage.

SOB at wing forward looks to be coming to the end, he's still good for winning frees but it's been a while since we seen him dice through any decent defence. DM was very disappointing the last day, offered little going forward and was poor in defence. So I don't think anyone in kerry would complain if 2 hard working tough wing forwards emerged on the scene.

All that said, I think even with the current panel we were perfectly capable of winning the all ireland. We just need the right man with a plan to guide um.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 King Power Fox

When do the Kerry County Board decide if they will renew Peter Keane or look elsewhere. After the dust has settled from last week what is the general feeling in Kerry 're a new management team?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭john9876

It'll be interesting to see what affect the all Ireland final has on the debate. A comprehensive Mayo win will probably rank up the pressure on Keane.

A Tyrone win may reduce the pressure especially if Mayo fall into the same failings as Kerry, ie proving that even forewarned it's difficult to counteract Tyrone's tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Presume players would be consulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

A terrible omen; Jack o Connor has resigned as Kildare manager. 😬

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Not to any great extent. While there is an old saying Players play, Managers manage and administrators administrate. It would be totally unfair to ask players do they want Keane to stay on. Most have been involved since minor with him. While you might normally take soundings from a few senior players. All of them are at there career end now.

I would not read too much into it at present. 8 hour return journey is a huge ask 3-4 times a week. You would really want to like driving and your own company.

Having said all that he was not the worst manager we had. Biggest issue was the book he wrote and he lost player trust because of that. However he was unlucky not to win in 2011. He was ow like any .anager to we'd the knife. However all of the baggage with the last team is not gone except for Moran. He had a lot of the present squad as minors so knows them. My worry would be is he be out of sync with the modern game. I prefer him to Fitzmaurice. I expect he would have Declan O Sullivan with him. They were always tight.

I wirh the him with DOC and a good coaching structure and no book even after he leave if DOC was still involved

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Forge83

Again this idea of Declan O Sullivan being anywhere near the senior management team even as just a coach is an absolute joke. He has done nothing to prove he is even a good club coach. Just because he was an elite level footballer does not earn him the right to jump straight in at inter county level. Even u20 was too much for him this year.

Id give Jerry O Sullivan of East Kerry a shot before Jack, Eamon and Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Why the Jack O'Connor hate?

3 AI titles in 7 years, surely the best record after Micko.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Repo101

He's coming back. Here in Kildare, he committed to another term and as soon as Peter Keane resigned he was putting the feelers out for Kerry. He must be the next Kerry manager to walk away now. Bit of a mixed bag here tbh. Don't think he will lead Kerry to a AI.

• Advertisement

The timing is to spot on to be a coincidence surely. I like Jack myself. Interesting to see how he gets on if he gets it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

has Keane resigned?. I've not seen this mentioned.

No he hasn't as of yet, but his 3 year term is up so technically he doesn't have to resign. Just say he's not seeking an extension for a year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

7 AI's in 35 years, I think we need to re-evaluate our opinion of ourselves. Also 3 of those 7 were under O'Connor - I don't get the negativity towards him.

If Jack O'Connor is the next manager, I suspect that DOS will be part of the set up more as a selector than a coach. The two of them were very tight.

U20's are a funny age group to manage. Nowadays you be missing the leaving certificate class early in the year, with it ran off so early. College players may not be available until early June.

I am not sure how it worked out this year, were many on the Senior panel. Look at what happened with SOS in 2017 Fitzmaurice put him in the senior panel, never used him and refused to release him for U21 games or club games either.

There is a massive difference between club/ district team management and County management. While Hack and Pat O Shea made the jump. It would be hard not to win with East Kerry with the pick they have

Slava Ukrainii

Ya I agree, I'd say there would be a selector spot there for declan alright if jack gets the job. The 2 lads are from the same neck of the woods and have been involved with allot of teams together coming up through the years. No harm to give potential future managers a taste of things under an experienced guy like Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

mayb not the worst manager... but he had pretty decent players to work with.. wed love to have some of them now... he beat the mighty mayo in 2 finals... he failed against tyrone... he was not unlucky in 2011... had he taken off his pet who was clearly feelin the ill-effects of a very dangerous challenge that dublin joe didnt punish... the ball would not have been lost at midfield.. and mcmenamin would not have waltzed past him for that game changing goal... but i suppose given that kennelly got away with a similar challenge in final 2 yrs earlier we cant complain... we def need to move on from Peter.. if team was on an upward trajectory i would say he should say.. but team has been going backwards since 2019 drawn game withe the Dubs... the problem with Jack is its all about Jack... Brolly had a really piece in yesterdays paper about political culture v high performance culture..... not taking off declan in 2011 was political.... jim gavin most definitely operated a high perfomance culture.. his treatment of bernard brogan showed that... personally i think there must a young hungry manager out there who would be more in touch than Jack.. it is almoost 20 years since he began his 1st stint with kerry (hard to believe) i remember being in colaiste na sceilge the day after waterford beat kerry in 2003 munster u21 football final... jack was u21 manager.. he came into the room and i asked him when would his appointment as kerry manager be made public... he wasnt in the best of form and told me twas the furthest thing from his mind!! sure a couple of weeks later he got the job... he was certainly a breath of fresh air that time... not sure he could repeat it tho...

If I had a DOS on my team he would be my pet as well. One of those really ballsy players. He was the lad that showed up on those hard day's. I still remember was it in the 2008 final he nearly scored a goal against Tyrone, loads of lads went missing that day Declan never did. Second only to John Egan as a Ayer that got critical scores. Gooch was a lad that would shine on a day you would win a game by 8-10 points. Declan, Donnahy and the O'Shea's were the men for the tight days.

On JOC ya Tyrone are a blip on his copybook. However he was unlucky Tyrone always met us the year after we had won an All Ireland, similar to Down in 2010. On the 2011 match ya he shows have been substituted but GAA managers were not as familiar about concussion as they are now. It should have been a free for us, I taught the goal was scored straight from that tackle.

Not sure if JOC is the manager we need. But I made the point I prefer him to EF. I be critical of his failure to bring in new player towards the end of his tenure, however Fitzmaurice was way worse at that. Jach was a bit unlucky in that Tommy Walsh went to Australia, Moran and there was another lad Boohan I think and both suffered from regular injuries from 2007-13.

It where we look for a younger manager. I think Thomas O Shea might be a long term prospect but he is gone to Offaly. Sugrue might be an option but he is living in Laois and a 3 hour journey from Killarney to there may not be sustainable to get the best out of a manager.

The modern GAA manager is no longer deeply involved in coaching, ya he put the structure he wants pmayed in place. He expects the professional coach ( like Kenerk in Limerick) to put that structure in place. You want the manager to manage, make the hard decisions, but the real skill you want from him is game management on the day of the match something we lacked for the last 5-6 years

Slava Ukrainii

Honestly, the more I think about it! Sure the deal must be done an all to say he's stepped down as Kildale manager.....

• Advertisement

I very much doubt it. As much stuff that goes on behind closed doors we still have to wait for Keane to resign or indicate he will not look for an extension or the CB indicate that they will not give him an extension. Maybe he is trying to put himself in the frame.

However I expect that there be sub committee put in place to select a new management team

Slava Ukrainii

Advertisement