Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on reciprocating saws for heavy garden work

Options
  • 06-09-2021 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭

I have some heavy pruning to do and some old small trees which I want to cut down. I've used a chainsaw for some of this type work in the past but my machine is broken now and needs to be replaced.

I came across reciprocating saws recently and they seem easier to manage for this type of work and probably safer also.

Has anyone used them for cutting trees or heavy pruning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 RingSting

Hi Bullpost ,

I use one sometimes. Dont know if if I'd recommend it as your go to tool but it has its place.

Problem with them is if the branch can move at all then it will just go back & forth with the blade instead of cutting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

I tried cutting a log with a reciprocating saw I have, wasn't great, blade teeth clogged with material and was getting very little progress then. It was just a 'wood' blade but I can see removal of sawn material from blade teeth being a problem for any sort of deep cut over an inch or two. Probably why a chainsaw works so well. 0/10 would not recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I bought a DeWalt cordless chainsaw last year.

They're great.

The end.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have used reciprocating saws but they don't work well. I would go for either a Lidl or Aldi battery saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭bullpost

Just an update on this. I bought the Aldi reciprocating saw (Its about €35) and as someone pointed out, it has its place. I've used it very effectively to cut big roots in a tree stump I was digging up. It saved me a lot of time and was perfect for this job so happy with my purchase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement