Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam calls

• 06-09-2021 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭

I'm still getting these scam calls. What do I do about it?

I got so pissed off this morning that I decided to piss them off. They asked me for my name and I told them that they are ringing me so they should know my name already and I asked them what was my name.

They then said that they need to open my file and I told them that my file was already open for them to be ringing me and I asked them to tell me what my name is again.

They continued on being ignorant and continued asking me for my name. I told them that I know my name but do you know my name?

Got fed up and put them on hold. But is there anything I can do about these calls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Don’t answer any calls from “unknown”, or private, numbers. If it’s important they’ll leave a message.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭littlecopilot

I'm sick to death of these calls. Was using an app call Truecaller also, but it's not affective as they keep changing numbers. The numbers also are very similar to my phone, for example if my number is 086 1234299 then the number calling is 086 1234309 etc.

I've just blocked numbers/sms that are not in my contacts list. Like EmmetSpiceland said above, if I miss a call now and it's important they can leave a message. I haven't received one of these annoying spam calls in a few days now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

The phone numbers are similar to my number as well. How does this scam work at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,016 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They look for some simpleton to login to a remote desktop website where they will get them go input their bank details and scammer drains their account. Succes rate is probably .001% which is enough to make it profitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭Cordell

The Department of Social Protection Department (yes) calls have stopped, now it's DHL texts and Amazon prime refund calls.

• Advertisement
    M

The Army Ranger Wing should be sent out to find them and level their offices to the ground.

I'm still getting calls from the department of social protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,753 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Same here, they’re increasing over the last couple of weeks.. with my Dad in hospital, all be it thankfully doing good now.. it’s crap when you see firstly numbers you are not familiar with coming up and then having to deal with some gherkin brained wánkbag sounding like a cross between Popeye and Imran Kahn...

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Rock Steady Edy

I usually get several calls a week from various domestic and International numbers purporting to be from Amazon Prime and that something about a debit for 79.99 is about to be stopped. I had just started Amazon Prime the first time through Eir, so they reeled me in until I started asking questions and they eventually cut me off. Now we no longer have Amazon Prime they still call nearly every weekday.

I did start making a list of all the numbers they were calling from, but had no idea if this was any use and no idea who to report it to anyway.

Just had an international number (0049) purporting to be from Eir this morning. I asked why they were calling from an International number then, and they cut the call. 0049 turns out to be Germany, but the accent was an Indian sounding female.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

15 blocked numbers telling me i have parcels ready for delivery ....

CNUTS.....

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement

That's the thing. For someone that orders alot online, how would you know what's genuine or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

I stupidly answered a call from a number similar to my own, I even remember thinking "that's a coincidence".

I was fully aware of this scam at the time too, I was only just awake so wasn't really with it. My calls are from the "department of tax department"

4 weeks now and I still get calls, it's down to one call ever couple of days, so it's tolerable. First day I had something like 17 calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭chewed

As mentioned above, DO NOT ANSWER CALLS FROM NUMBERS YOU DON'T RECOGNISE! Simple.

A few weeks ago I was getting about 3 calls a day. The weird thing was that each number was the first four digits of my own number. e.g. 086 XXXX XXX

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Squiggle

I've had to block all incoming calls bar from contacts because I'm bombarded with scam calls the last two weeks. Not ideal but I can't see any other option as the scammers use a different number each time so blocking their numbers is of no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

Got one of these this morning. Its a well known scam technique and there`s even a name for it - "neighbour spoofing".

The idea is your more likely to entertain a number that seems familiar.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,755 ✭✭✭Cordell

For texts it's a link but the website certificate or the website name itself will cue you. Usually the web browser opens with a big red warning and you need to take extra steps to open it.

Cold calls can be quickly filtered by the accent o the caller :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Don't waste your time taking numbers down for action to be taken. I once made an official complaint to ComReg that involved giving them numbers received over a period of time. It was a total waste of my time as they decided that since the calls were originating from outside the state, there was nothing they could do.

Just don't answer ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭daheff

They can though.

They can make the networks not accept spoofing of numbers. Same with text messages

They don't want to enforce that as it's costly to implement and the networks don't want to do it. It will happen eventually.

I never get spam phonecalls. Ever. I must be doing something right.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Yeah, I subscribe to the idea of not answering calls from numbers that aren't in my contacts. I have VM, if it's important they can leave a message or text me. I've most providers told my preferred method of contact is email so they don't be ringing me either.

Re: how to tell if you order a lot and are getting a lot of delivery messages, simple. Go straight to the website that is doing the delivery and track it there. Don't ever follow a link from an unexpected (or conveniently timed) SMS/email. Hell, I barely follow links from emails I get, and use the same process of going directly to the site and logging in and getting messages that way. Just safer.

#SayNoToLinks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,402 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I used an app called Hiya. It allows you to block calls based on a pattern. Like your own number.

You have to give it some access which some won't want to do. But I used for a few weeks and the calls stopped then I uninstalled it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭quinnd6

It's so annoying. I get the stupid machine dept of social welfare calls. I noticed if you say nothing you just get complete silence and if you say hello they start up their poxy machine. I know because its happening all the time.

What kind of dopes could fall for that crap? I always then just hang up. There's nothing practical anyone can really do to avoid this. If you hear anyone who sounds like a dopy idiot asking you questions with a foreign accent just hang up. I say foreign accent because it usually is a foreign accent. Also If you hear what is obviously a machine just hang up. I didn't do anything stupid or download any apps and I get the same crap all the time. It's unavoidable.

Also I wouldn't recommend downloading any more apps and giving your details to any more apps, just use the ones that are obviously safe and you know and trust.

They use Irish mobile phone numbers now so you don't know until you answer the phone unfortunately.It's mostly scam calls I get these days.

Just hang up and don't give the scum any of your time or energy. Say nothing and make their lives as boring as possible. Also you can report the number as spam. I'd do that. On Android you can just click on the number, go to history click the drop-down with the 3 dots and press report spam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭rom

I use an app on iPhone call PhoneSheild . Say my number is 087 1234567 so I can block numbers 087 123**** with it. Now I have one person in my address book in this range but he always uses whatzapp. All of these calls then never ring on my phone. So I am blocking 10000 possible numbers as all the numbers have the first 3 numbers post the 087 the same as mine. So there is a chance 1 in 1000 that it will block a number that is from the same prefix that is trying to call me. I can cope with that as I don't get many calls outside of my address book from mobile numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

This is just the like the posters advising don't answer the doorbell if you're not expecting someone

Some of us are in business and have unexpected visitors. Its not practical advice for everyone

All you can really do is either completely ignore the calls, or hang up immediately when you recognise they're a scammer. Don't even engage with them for one second.

The phone calls are coming from numbers that are entirely fake. They just type in any number they like. They are not from Irish phone networks and you're wasting your time blocking them as they're just random.

You could even be blocking calls from or reporting legitimate phone number as sources of spam, when they're just being spoofed.

M

Problem with completely ignoring is some of the numbers they use are very like legit Irish landline numbers, ignoring them you might as well dump your phone. If everyone who received a call each day decided to fook them around for 10 minuts wasting their time it would make their day completely non-productive and they may decide to shut Ireland off. At the end of the day why would these scammers flag a number that answers from one that doesn't, the person answering them can be a stringer along or a fool giving them money, the fool giving them money will only be scammed the once.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭smeal

Plagued with them recently. Usually 2-3 per day on weekdays. All similar numbers to my own. Thanks for app suggestions above.

Recently my BOI card had a hack attempt. I received a text in a chain of BOI texts to say 0.70c had been attempted off my card from some travel company and to follow the link. I ignored it because it was similar to previous scam texts that were received in BOI chains. A number attempted to call me a few times in the days following and left voicemails. When I checked the voicemails they were automated answering machines (with no reference at all to BOI btw). A few days later my card was declined when making an online order. Contacted the bank and low and behold it had all been genuine attempts to contact me and my card had been blocked in the meantime… I gave out about the automated voicemails particularly as so many scam calls going about. I suppose the point of my story is that some of these automated calls are genuine and its impossible to know at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Get a doorbell camera. Problem solved. I've saved myself loads of grief with chuggers and other callers since getting one. Quick look at the camera app on the phone and I can just ignore anyone who isn't someone I'm expecting/family/friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Getting a text and a call every day, DHL etc.

Took a call from "Vodafone" last week about my broadband (Im with Virgin) so kept him on the phone for ages just to waste his time while he tried to talk me through installing a teamviewer type thing on my PC so he could scam me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭Archeron

If I had a delivery actually arrive for every DHL text I've got this week I'd have to build a warehouse to store it all 😂

Advertisement