Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scam calls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Got two today from Irish revenue and taxes. Ended both call after a few seconds. Computer generated voice. It had been a long time since I got such a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭I am me123

Thanks. It can be very annoying when you might be waiting on a genuine phone call.

Does 084 area code sound like a scam number?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭seablue

I got a call from an 084 number today. Didn't answer it, assumed it was a scam

I've started getting these calls in the last week.

Coincidentally I moved my mobile number to 48 network last week..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

It's been said on here already.

The numbers they are coming from are spoofed numbers.

They are using auto dialers and dialing numbers in sequence, they don't "have" your number, they are rolling through the numbers until someone answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,603 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

You guys are wasting your own time, playing stupid games with them.

• Advertisement

Yes. It's a scam. 084 isn't an active prefix. There are no numbers beginning with that code.

I agree. Just immediately hang up on them or don't answer at all if it's a very obviously invalid number like an area code that doesn't exist, or an exceptionally long number for an area you recognise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

It's a bit of craic If you have a few min with nothing better to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

I don't get any on my mobile but do get at least one per day to the landline. Don't have caller ID.

I can usually get the caller to hang up within one or two minutes - if you force them to hang up, you've won.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭mossie11

Got one today from 087 982 XXXX. there was no + or country code before it...Does this mean it came from Ireland?

Mod - please dont post the numbers

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No, the number is spoofed.

Post edited by Ten of Swords on

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Delilahcat

Still getting them up to yesterday. Almost always from DSP that my PPS has been compromised. Switched to texts for a while there but back to calls now

I'm only interested in my own time.

I would say anything else, even nothing, would be better than replying to spam.

There’s absolutely no point in posting phone numbers on threads like these. The spammers can display any number. All you’re doing is potentially putting some innocent third party’s phone number up on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

It's been a few weeks since I've received a call. I guess they stopped with me when they realised they weren't going to get anywhere with me.

The last call I received I told them how it was. They were ringing me about my account, so they should know my name and I kept asking them to tell me what my name is. How can they have my account open and looking at my file to tell me about my criminal activity or my account has been compromised and not tell me my name?

That's not how phone calls work. If you ring me about my account, you should know my name.

I stopped getting the scam calls about 2-3 weeks ago but in the past few days I have gotten scam text messages for the first time in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm repeating myself but I need to: some years ago, when the "your computer has virus" scam was popular, I asked what my name was expecting silence and to my surprise they actually told my name so don't rely on this to identify scammers.

Its this critical analysis which is important and missing from most peoples thinking when they answer calls.

If people don't engage with them, they are powerless. Once people talk to them, even to slag them off they have a foot in the door.

Also your habit will not change from always answering all calls, and it will not change to filtering out these before they start.

I've never had one where there was an actual person on the other end of the phone, always the automated machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

You have to press 1, then connects to a human.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,415 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Yeah it is, I got one a few where I've said "I'll just get my bank details" . You could hear the delight in her voice seconds before I hung up.

• Advertisement

Oh right. I just hang up as soon as the robot starts yapping

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Getting 1 call a day from a UK number for a few weeks now. They're persistent, and mainly between 16:00 and 17:00, sometimes as early as 13:00. Never answer them though. Stopped getting the delivery messages. Getting a lot of files sent to my Google Drive apparantly.

You mean messages about "Getting a lot of files sent to my Google Drive" not actual files?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,825 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Sorry, yeah, that. I never click it, but there's nothing waiting for me in Drive. Tbh, I didn't even cop if the notification is supposed to look like the legit one, because I never get any, don't even know if they exist. I rarely open anything from a notification, except maybe certain Gmails.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Been plagued the past few weeks - sometimes 3 calls a day, but they will never speak to me when I click 1 or whatever. Looking for that older voice. Would happily take them on a merry ride

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Got a scam call from 00353 813751355. Hung up after a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭qwas75

When everyone were talking about them I've never had any of these calls. But now... at least 6-7 calls every day. Revenue, DSP, even "covid institute" recently. They don't give a flying one about what time of the day they are calling.

Adding those numbers to a block list one by one will not do anything, they just calls from different number.

Blocking all private numbers or numbers which are not in my phone book is not an option either. I am on quite a few waiting lists to see consultants in hospital and they do call from private numbers and even using WhatsApp recently.

And I think that everything will get even worse after recent Facebook&Co blackout, after HSE was hacked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I’m still getting the odd one, all “from” 038 numbers. Not even bothering to use real prefixes now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,276 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Got a new type of call today, UK female natural voice recording saying my interenet router would be shut down in 4 hours due to illegal activity, presss 1 etc. Strung him along for 5 minutes, he said he was calling from Eir.

Advertisement