Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has the 1 week downtime & move to vanilla killed this place?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

That's a useful feature. I don't know how many times I've been typing a long post, and then got distracted by something in another tab, and then clicked 'x' to accidentally the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭Tork

It should be an option rather than a default though. Some people like to save their drafts, others don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No pen icon visible. This is on the full site.

Never mind, found it... sent a test message which seemed to work ok.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,878 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You deleted your sent copy but you can't delete the recipient's copy of that message. Now that we have this "Conversations" nonsense, the recipients copy shows up in your messages because you sent it.

An ordinary user had a small inbox so was more likely to get around to deleting your message eventually, but afaik Talk To.. accounts and mods/admins have unlimited PM inboxes. So stuff may never have been deleted and many of those Talk To... accounts are now closed, with their PM inboxes presumably still intact.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I wanted to search this thread to see if there was any discussion of the pit of despair that is search on the new platform. But of course there is (still) no “search this thread” option, and the advanced search no longer allows filtering on much at all...not to mention that “sort by date” basically doesn’t work at all...

• Advertisement

Has boards recovered since this time last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Working fine now, for me. No trouble navigating, or posting.

There still seems to be a fair bit of “hot air” being let out over in “Feedback” but for those of us with a, more, positive outlook on life, and on here, things are looking up.

The tide is turning…

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Navigation is better than at first, but it's not as easy to navigate as it was. That's pretty undeniable. The death of the simple My Forums dropdown the biggest loss and mistake in not implementing IMHO. I would reckon how someone posted before has much to do with it though. If you were a one or two forums type regular finding those and posting is easy enough, but if you were someone who browsed/posted more across different forums then the new layout has made that more difficult. The traffic and posting levels are definitely down, but it depends on the forum involved. Some are back to nearly pre migration levels, some are much lower and a few are ghost towns.

As a couple of Boardsies noted in the Motors forum earlier:

That post just proves nobody uses Boards since the update a savage Car and only 6 thanks, if you posted a fcuking Duster 6 months ago it would have got more commemoration...

and

Unfortunately I think your 100% correct here. It’s a shame and I’m sure the team had the best intentions and really worked hard but the site is far too cumbersome to enjoy anymore.

"Cumbersome" is probably the best word to use. It requires far more clicks to find what's what and isn't nearly as instinctive or easy as it was.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,485 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can’t find my way around it at all. Can’t go straight to the last post in threads etc. Boards is broken.

I still don't understand why in this day in age did they go for a platform that's not really suitable for mobiles

• Advertisement

It’s still horrible to use for me. Not the layout but the stuttering and slow mess that it is. I tried to close my account 40 days ago and they won’t do it, so I’ll post away if I’m on a laptop until such a time as they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Me no like.

Most of us just don't want to relearn how to use the forums effectively, or the steps in how to post again.

I do find the overall site to be clunky, and it's much harder to write longer posts with multi-quotes... however, I think people are simply seeking something to complain about, and the site change provides a useful excuse for not posting as much. It provided a break in posting and for many of us, that meant a break in our habits... the surefire way to break a habit is to be removed from that environment for a time.

Poster activity is definitely down, but I suspect this was going to happen anyway. The site change just accelerated things.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Mobile good. Desktop bad.

It's like the curate's egg.

Not your ornery onager

Vanilla by name, vanilla by nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Don't change what's not broken. Site was fine and worked, reddit hasn't changed on donkeys. No one complains.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Reddit changed completely about 3 years ago and before that about 8 or 9.

But they still allow you to use the old version.

old.reddit.com

www.reddit.com.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,293 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The site was broken and didn't work. That was the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

at least it was busy and easy to use.

there is little flow now and it

has lost allot of regular quality posters.

can’t believe in this day and age that the focus was on fixing the desktop site to mimick the old site, but apparently no effort has been put into the mobile version.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

And the old version is better there also, glad they kept it around as I'd have left that also if forced to use the new one exclusively.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Cilldara_2000

Slow, clunky and less functionality than before.

As well as issues about multi-quoting raised above (or indeed any quoting), normal bbcode tags don't work anymore, eg [url=www.rte.ie]RTE[/url].

But it seems to be a trend in current UI design standards. Most software, web or otherwise, is all very cartoonish now. Take AIB iBB's recent redesign. It takes about 8 clicks to make a payment. In the past you could get through most of these by tabbing. Perhaps all the old programmers who used computers in the pre-GUI days have retired and now you have young people who haven't a clue how to do anything other than with the mouse?

Edit: The post timestamp says 8.44am yet in the forum view it says the post was at 7.44am. Little things that make the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

I find the mobile site hard to navigate and generally off-putting, the desktop site is slightly better and I'll probably continue to use boards on the laptop occasionally while bored in work, but my mobile use has drop almost to zero. Realistically even if they reverted back to the old platform, my habit of going to boards on the mobile is broken and unlikely to be regained, I was a really active user of boards at one time (many moons ago) but even pre this change, my interest in the site has waned, this was just the final nail in the coffin for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Keep it going they might make you a Mod yet - there will be plenty of vacancies when the dust settles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Nothing is certain, as yet. I have been “approached” but am, currently, mulling over my options.

You will, obviously, see the “announcement” should I choose to accept. But I will say this, unless I can give the role 100% I won’t be taking it. Trying to see if I can “move” things around before fully committing.

I’m, obviously, grateful to be have even been considered. It is an honour.

The tide is turning…

What’s with all the quotation marks? I’ve noticed it before and I’m not sure what you’re trying to do with them but you’re not doing it correctly. Or are you just using them jokingly to pull the piss out of someone else? Genuinely curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

What on earth do you think inverted commas are for? Seriously, I'd love to know why used them here. Is it a code?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,006 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

That'd be the final nail in the coffin of this site.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,839 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

He just doesn't know how to use them correctly. It's as simple as that.

Advertisement