Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a Laptop: The current Generation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Hi,

I'm looking for a decent all round laptop for work, just doing general office stuff, but also a little bit of editing zoom videos. After looking on here, I'm looking at something like this one. https://store.acer.com/en-ie/acer-swift-3-ultra-thin-laptop-sf314-59-blue-nx-a0pek-001

Or this one.

I haven't looked at any refurbished Dells? Are they worth looking at or does anyone have any other alternatives?

Thanks

look for an 11th gen i5 or a quad-core plus ryzen cpu for video editing power

16gb ram is preferable but budget would have to go up to about 800/850

swift 3 11th gen i5 with 16gb is 999 - 15% unidays / studentbeans discount = 850

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Hi Glasso looking for a new laptop just for general use, browsing, a bit of work etc. Nothing too intensive. Budget would be 500 and under. Would like something thats quite quick.

Any recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭cullenswood

One of these three might suit your needs Doctor, but @glasso probably better qualified to let you know which is best....

One, Two, Three

yes worth spending a little more for the metal build, better screen, better cpu and 16gb ram like in either of those vivobooks (14 or 15.6 model)

It will pay you back easily over the years instead of "saving" 100 to 150 euro getting a slower cpu, creaky plastic build, low ram, dim non-colour accurate screen, possibly sup-par trackpad and keyboard.

what you get for 500 euro vs the Asus vivobooks above really.

it's a real false economy

Those two Asus's offer good value for money and are well reviewed but the 15 inch size may be better overall I think (brighter better quality screen). it's still pretty portable at 1.7kg

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

• Registered Users Posts: 13 1tsThatGuy

Hi, the ASUS 15.6" looks very good. The amazon UK site states that the ASUS has 400 nits, I was sceptical of this and went looking for the spec sheet but couldn't find one on the ASUS website. Is there any way to verify that the 400 nits is the true figure? I have seen two other websites, box.co.uk and another one, and they state different figures.

(From Amazon.co.uk) Features at a glance

• Super bright 400nits 15.6" Full HD IPS NanoEdge display

(from the amazon Vivobook link in Glasso's post #25167) Sorry I can't post a link as I'm below the threshold.

try to find reviews either text or on youtube for the exact model

if it's false information on the Amazon Asus blurb that's grounds to send it back if required for "not as described".

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Thanks for the response. I was in contact with ASUS and had to email them in the end as the person dealing with my query didn't know how to find the answer to my question. They did point me in the direction of a spec sheet that had several screens listed but it's not possible to know which one was for the i5 16gb ram and 512gb storage model. For anyone interested they are below (unfortunately I can't post a link).

Display

15.6-inch, FHD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 aspect ratio, 200nits, 45% NTSC color gamut, LED Backlit, Anti-glare display, Screen-to-body ratio: 85 %

15.6-inch, FHD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 aspect ratio, 250nits, 45% NTSC color gamut, LED Backlit, Anti-glare display, IPS-level Panel, Screen-to-body ratio: 85 %

15.6-inch, FHD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 aspect ratio, 250nits, 45% NTSC color gamut, LED Backlit for non-OLED, Anti-glare display, IPS-level Panel, Screen-to-body ratio: 85 %

15.6-inch, FHD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 aspect ratio, 200nits, 45% NTSC color gamut, LED Backlit for non-OLED, Anti-glare display, Screen-to-body ratio: 85 %

15.6-inch, FHD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 aspect ratio, 250nits, 45% NTSC color gamut, LED Backlit, Anti-glare display, IPS-level Panel, Screen-to-body ratio: 85 %

15.6-inch, FHD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 aspect ratio, 200nits, 45% NTSC color gamut, LED Backlit, Anti-glare display, Screen-to-body ratio: 85 %

LED Backlit

15.6-inch, FHD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 aspect ratio, 300nits, 100% sRGB color gamut, LED Backlit, Anti-glare display, IPS-level Panel, Screen-to-body ratio: 85 %

well it's still a budget to low-middle range laptop.

it has 16gb ram and a reasonable cpu in a metal body.

400 nits screen is not something you'd expect in that price range but the ad does say it.

as said, you could easily return to amazon free of charge if you get it an if it's obviously not "bright enough" by quoting the description on the Amazon listing.

look at the amazon questions on the item - some of them say 250 nits and that it's the N156HCA-EAB (CMN15E7) panel

• Advertisement

I did look around for reviews on youtube and the general web. I found a few for the higher spec. i7 model but couldn't for the life of me find one for the i5 model. Thanks for the guidance.

If anyone has bought one it would be greaqt to hear about their experience with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Hi guys. I just want to share you a little email that I made yesterday to DID Electrical to see if there is any new Windows 11 laptops for sale.

hello (dublinman)

thank you for contacting us,

at the minute we do not have any windows 11 laptops we only have windows 10.

kind regards

Kind Regards

DID Electrical Tullamore

Unit B, Tullamore Retail Park, Portarlington Road, Tullamore, Offaly

057 932 8282

Hi there,

I have suffered a major issue with my Toshiba Satellite laptop since last night. I downloaded a media creation tool for Windows 10 21H1 from Microsoft's website. As soon as I tried to install it on the machine; it went through a big error and installation of the OS on the machine had wiped off my previous installation of Windows 10 from it.

The error that was present on the laptop was described as a ntosextrnl.exe error. It had an error code as well which was 0x00000185.

The internal battery of my laptop has not been functioning properly either. The internal battery has been zapped out of the machine. If I had to use the laptop for day to day usage; I use a battery charger to plug it into a plug socket the whole time when I get to use it.

There was a warranty on the laptop which was given to me by did in 2014. It expired in July 2019. However; when I had the opportunity to get the laptop repaired; you guys give me an AIG warranty & new phone number to get it. Although if my current laptop is not in warranty. It may render the repair of the laptop to be useless & not eligible for repair.

If I being realistic at this point; would I need to buy a new laptop that may preferably be pre-installed with Windows 11. My current toshiba laptop is not eligible for an upgrade for Windows 11. I had discovered this issue when I downloaded the PC Health Check app from Microsoft up until very recently. I'm also making the assumption here that if I can't get future installations of Windows 10 on it. That would be a big security risk because malware & viruses could spread onto my Toshiba current laptop.

Do you sell Windows 11 laptops in your stores because I would like to purchase one if my other laptop is not eligible for a repair?

Thanks in advance

Yours sincerely

dublinman1990

Any comment on my situation will be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,900 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Will be on the lookout for a new laptop soon enough.

What would be minimum specs needed for Win 10/11?

Is 4g Ram enough these days? 256gb storage - would this fill very quick with updates. - Can add a Ext HD to the fray after.

Whats the opinion on something like this?

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-f515ea-15-6-laptop-intel-core-i3-256-gb-ssd-grey-10224576-pdt.html

Post edited by GBX on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

It depends a lot on what you need it for.

I have a small factor desktop, running an i3 CPU with 8GB of RAM, Windows 10. It's great for Internet browsing, media consumption, but not much else. I don't use MS Office at all, but even when opening Google Sheets, it's having a bit of a hard time. I know, because I know how quick my other computers are when handling Google Sheets. I assume it would struggle mightily with Microsoft Office.

If you intend to use it for more than the above, look for at least i5 CPU and 8GB of RAM. As for the SSD, 256 could be OK, as long as you don't handle any massive files.

Dont have a Studentbean or Unidays account but would be grateful if anybody had a discount a spare code available for Acer or Lenovo. Thanks.

Got sorted with a code from Banie. Fair play. One other question, Im likely going to pull the trigger on the Acer Swift 3 Intel. Looking around there is an AMD version for similar money. Would there be much in the difference between the 2 versions:

Ryzen 5 4500U v Intel Core i5-1135G7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭JoyPad

I always compare CPUs on this website.

Intel is better here if you'd make use of graphics e.g. games

Ryzen if pure cpu needed but not by much

if similar price I'd go for the intel here

but also depends on how many watts (TDP) the cpus are running at in the latptop

I do know that the acer swift runs the i5 11th gen at a high TDP and gets a lot out of it

e.g. it's up to 28 watts where other laptops could have it at 15w

Thanks @glasso and @JoyPad I've pulled the trigger on the Intel i5 model. With the discount code from @banie01 came in at €680. Definitely good bang for buck. 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Some media reports were going out yesterday were suggesting that if Article 16 was triggered by the UK later this week to signal renegotiation of the NI Protocol. There was some alarming talk being reported by RTÉ's The Week in Politics yesterday that there could be a potential export ban for products coming out from the UK into the EU including Ireland later on in the future.

That sort of development to me sounds like quite damaging news for people living here who want to import new laptops that are being delivered from the UK into Ireland. Will that serious development cause a huge amount of damage to the Irish economy here if I.T products were banned from coming into the UK into Ireland.

I would be thinking that courier services based here like AddressPal could become seriously affected with this problem if an export ban comes into effect from the UK.

If you were an I.T. expert based here hearing about this latest news on Brexit; What be your general view on it because it does appear to be very unsettling news for this industry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Looks like @glasso Swift 3 recommendation is nolonger available, Better half has asked for 2 (yes 2!!) laptops for the kids at school this xmas. Any good alternatives, budget €500ish but prepared to stretch for robust units (ie metal cases). For example typing on a yoga slim 7 which he recommended earlier in the year.

Thanks in advance

W.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Meanman

I see current ACER offers end on tomorrow 14th November. Might they launch Black Friday deals next week and if so Glasso et al might Might recommend something in the 700 euro range similar to ACER Swift 3 .Tks

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

looks like the black Friday deals are starting next week ...looking to pick up the Acer Swift 3 myself

So it doesn't look like the Acer Swift 3 is part of the Black Friday sale.

Looking for a laptop for light photo editing and want to get back into programming ( again fairly light nothing too intensive)

Anyone see any good value out there. Happy to pay about €800

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Hi All,

Any thoughts on this laptop from Lenovo, it will be for some very light gaming as I mainly use console anyways and I will also be looking to do some podcasting on it.

Coming in at under €800 on the student site https://www.lenovo.com/ie/en/laptops/ideapad/500-series/IdeaPad-5-Pro-16ACH6/p/88IPS501619

looks alright but look at reviews

could well be worth spending a bit more to get the 16gb model (which also comes with a better cpu but ram would be the main reason as you can't upgrade it after)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Thanks I'm probably already going over budget at under 800, but an extra 100 for double the ram and better cpu is a good deal I suppose... the Mrs will kill me lol

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭fugyvuhgvhbjb

10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-10300H Processor (4 Cores / 8 Threads, 2.50 GHz, up to 4.50 GHz, 8 MB Cache)

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR6

256 GB M.2 2242 SSD

675 Euro

Thoughts?

• Advertisement

Advertisement