Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a Laptop: The current Generation

Comments

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Having an absolute nightmare trying to order a Matebook from Amazon. Long story short, they won't send it and keep pushing back the delivery date.

Is it worth risking something like Harvey Norman or Littlewoods?

maybe go for the acer swift 3 i5 11th model on acer.ie - 799 there

get or get access to studentbeans for 15% discount

comes in at 670 then afaik

light, metal build, 14 inch, good battery life, better screen than matebook, good cpu and igpu which runs at a good power level

plenty of detail in recent threads

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Mwengwe

glasso wrote: »
    maybe go for the acer swift 3 i5 11th model on acer.ie - 799 there

get or get access to studentbeans for 15% discount

comes in at 670 then afaik

light, metal build, 14 inch, good battery life, better screen than matebook, good cpu and igpu which runs at a good power level

plenty of detail in recent threads

Interesting, the screen display was one of the main reasons I had my heart set on the Matebook. (not the D)
    By the looks of things I might pay a bit extra for the Swift 5 at 340 brightness (from first glance at the specs)
    300 brightness feels like an absolute minimum for me, my eyes are fussy.

Cheers glasso will research this a bit more.

Mwengwe wrote: »
    Interesting, the screen display was one of the main reasons I had my heart set on the Matebook. (not the D)
    By the looks of things I might pay a bit extra for the Swift 5 at 340 brightness (from first glance at the specs)
    300 brightness feels like an absolute minimum for me, my eyes are fussy.

Cheers glasso will research this a bit more.

it's more the colour accuracy that I was referring to (even though don't want a dark screen of course)

better in acer swift 3 than matebook 2020 model

the acer swift 3 range is better value imo over the 5

14 inch screen is not small

defo go for 11th i5 cpus over 10th gen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Hi guys,

I am looking for a laptop with a metallic body if possible.

Budget=€750

Use= Student assignments, making PowerPoint presentations, reading for hours (should be good on eyes). 14 inch size.

Any suggestions, please?

I have a student card and account on Unidays. I see Lenovo 20% off there.

Thank you

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

I am looking for a laptop with a metallic body if possible.

Budget=€750

Use= Student assignments, making PowerPoint presentations, reading for hours (should be good on eyes). 14 inch size.

Any suggestions, please?

I have a student card and account on Unidays. I see Lenovo 20% off there.

Thank you

acer swift 3 i5 11th gen - check other threads for link on acer.ie

discount on unidays also

800 - 15% = 670

Thanks for getting back to me.

How's Huawei laptops in comparison to Acer?

Matebook vs swift 3, which is better on eyes?

Also, I see €100 discount on Acer website when you subscribe. Could i use this discount together with 15% from Unidays?
    acer swift 3 i5 11th gen - check other threads for link on acer.ie

discount on unidays also

800 - 15% = 670

swift 3 one to go for now imo vs 2020 matebaook d

better screen (vs 2020 mode), better webcam position, better graphics power

2021 matebook d similar to acer 3 but less available

What's the price of 2021 Matebook D14? I can't seem to find one.

I am hoping to get intel chip.
    swift 3 one to go for now imo vs 2020 matebaook d

better screen (vs 2020 mode), better webcam position, better graphics power

2021 matebook d similar to acer 3 but less available

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Bhail

My questions is a 13.3" HP Envy for €1300 vs second hand Matebook X Pro for €1000 second hand.

Hp Envy spec:

Windows 10 13.3"
    Intel® Core™ i7-1165G7 Processor
    RAM: 16 GB / Storage: 1 TB SSD
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce MX450 2 GB
    Full HD touchscreen

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-envy-13-ba1565sa-13-3-laptop-intel-core-i7-1-tb-ssd-silver-10218522-pdt.html

Huawei Matebook X Pro
    13.9-inch
    i7 8850U
    16 GB RAM
    500 GB SSD
    Discrete Graphics – MX150

Thanks!

envy

cpu in matebook is from 2017 - the 11th gen i7 is not far off 2X the power

the mx450 also hammers the mx150

the envy ssd drive will be a faster nvme drive also

envy is well built and decent screen also

envy

cpu in matebook is from 2017 - the 11th gen i7 is not far off 2X the power

the mx450 also hammers the mx150

the envy ssd drive will be a faster nvme drive also

envy is well built and decent screen also

Excellent cheers Glasso! Really helpful.

Opinions appreciated and hopefully last question. I have 3 options.

Use:
    General plus light photo and video editing. I'd like touchscreen and 16gb ram to future proof a bit.

Shortlist

• Refurbished Dell XPS 13 (11th gen) - Good spec and better colour accuracy, but integrated graphics. Since the Hp Envy is not really powerful either, will there be a really noticeable difference?
    • Hp Envy - Great spec but seems to be least colour accurate
    • Mac M1 - M1 chip seems good, colour accurate, great battery but apple drawback, small memory. Also a bit ugly. I'd have to pay for icloud storage AND google drive.

Here's a breakdown of each laptop.

556424.jpg

the xe graphics in the 11th gen intels are a big step up for integrated graphics - same as mx350 level so it's well capable especially if the cpu is running at full power in a laptop (28W level)

https://store.acer.com/en-ie/acer-swift-3-ultra-thin-laptop-sf314-59-silver-nx-a0mek-005

this acer swift 3 has a very colour accurate screen, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd

metal build,
    cpu runs at a high power level (full 28w) in it. it runs better than the i7's from other manufacturers as from review below. i7 over i5 in intel mobile is usually only 5% more,
    100% sRGB colour accurate screen.

get a 15% discount with student beans or unidays. a 2nd level or 3rd level email should work to register.

so 999 - 15% = 850

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/42008-acer-swift-3-14-sf314-59-review/

you don't need anymore than this.

tbh touchscreen on a laptop is bit useless imo

only work well on things like the surface pro

the xe graphics in the 11th gen intels are a big step up for integrated graphics - same as mx350 level so it's well capable especially if the cpu is running at full power in a laptop (28W level)

https://store.acer.com/en-ie/acer-swift-3-ultra-thin-laptop-sf314-59-silver-nx-a0mek-005

this acer swift 3 has a very colour accurate screen, 16gb ram, 1tb ssd

metal build,
    cpu runs at a high power level (full 28w) in it. it runs better than the i7's from other manufacturers as from review below. i7 over i5 in intel mobile is usually only 5% more,
    100% sRGB colour accurate screen.

get a 15% discount with student beans or unidays. a 2nd level or 3rd level email should work to register.

so 999 - 15% = 850

https://www.ultrabookreview.com/42008-acer-swift-3-14-sf314-59-review/

you don't need anymore than this.

tbh touchscreen on a laptop is bit useless imo

only work well on things like the surface pro

Thanks again for the feedback!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

My wife is looking for a new combo business/gaming laptop.

Gaming is on the low end of the spectrum. She mainly just wants it to be able to smoothly play Sims 5 when its released.

Weight should be less than 2kg. Ideally closer to the 1.5kg range.

She would like something aesthetically pleasing in white or silver.

Budget: We are in the UK so £1000.00 but thats flexible.

Gaming and thin / viusally pleasing plus lightweight is usually a mutually exclusive situation except for pretty much this one laptop

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Zephyrus-GA401IU-GeForce-Lighting/dp/B093WZ49H9/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=asus+g14&qid=1624292801&sr=8-3

1.7kg, nice magnesium build and powerful cpu and gpu. long battery life. 16gb ram.

(no webcam but not a big downer imo as most webcams in laptops are rubbish - but an autofocus and wide-angle one usb one on Amazon)

the lcd matrix on the case in the pics is only on the most expensive models - not on the one linked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Gaming and thin / viusally pleasing plus lightweight is usually a mutually exclusive situation except for pretty much this one laptop

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-Zephyrus-GA401IU-GeForce-Lighting/dp/B093WZ49H9/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=asus+g14&qid=1624292801&sr=8-3

1.7kg, nice magnesium build and powerful cpu and gpu. long battery life. 16gb ram.

(no webcam but not a big downer imo as most webcams in laptops are rubbish - but an autofocus and wide-angle one usb one on Amazon)

the lcd matrix on the case in the pics is only on the most expensive models - not on the one linked.

That looks almost perfect, was about to buy and realised it doesn't have a webcam.

Unfortunately that's also a requirement as it will be used for work too. Didn't realise anyone made laptops without webcams these days.

• Advertisement

That looks almost perfect, was about to buy and realised it doesn't have a webcam.

Unfortunately that's also a requirement as it will be used for work too. Didn't realise anyone made laptops without webcams these days.

as said laptop webcams are crap and not up to standard for the increased amount of zoom time-wasting etc

a usb webcam is small, clips onto laptop and can have what a laptop doesn't

- autofocus

- wide angle

- higher resolution

- better lens

the only other "similar" laptops are the dell xps 15 (upper model with discrete game card) or dell thinkpad extreme

both way above your budget

but if it's really just sims then a laptop with an 11th gen i5 from intel with XE graphics will run that fine

see acer swift 3 in other threads - make sure that it's the 11th gen cpu - 11 in the number of the cpu at the start

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gjtonysoprano17

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations on something that is mainly for internet browsing, excel, accounting software, powerpoint, youtube etc...Would need to be

Light
    Bright
    Touchscreen (just like the novelty)
    14" ideally

Thanks

Check out Huawei mayebook 14.
    Hi all,

Looking for recommendations on something that is mainly for internet browsing, excel, accounting software, powerpoint, youtube etc...Would need to be

Light
    Bright
    14" ideally

Thanks

Hi all,

Light
    Bright
    14" ideally

Thanks

max budget?

should be stated to avoid wasting time on suggestions out of range?

touchscreen on a laptop is largely useless and limits choice

only worth it on a tablet with detachable keyboard e.g. surface pro type device

a laptop with keyboard is too heavy to use as a tablet

I ordered Huawei Matebook 14 AMD Ryzen 5 4600 from the Amazon Prime deal.

Got it today and happy with it. The display is fantastic, and the feel is premium. Thanks @Glasso

20210625-150507.jpg

20210625-150723.jpg

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

If anyone is looking for a machine that they plan to run Windows on, be VERY careful indeed, as Microsoft have released the spec for their planned update to Windows 11 later this year, and the number of CPU's that will be capable of running this new version is very small, and AMD have just chopped support for a significant number of CPU's that will effectively not be supported in future versions of Win 10, let alone Win 11.

There is a new release of the health check utility that can check if your machine will run Win 11, and I anticipate that there will be a very large number of systems that will NOT be capable of running this new (Free to current up to date Win 10 users) update, due later this year. Win 10 will be killed off in 2025, so that could mean a short life for many systems that are currently on offer, even in main line retail.

I have a laptop here that is less than 3 years old, and AMD are no longer supporting the chip set for it, so that's effectively killed it. Yes, it should continue to work, but if anything goes wrong with a Microsoft update, it's dead, and won't be capable of being upgraded to Win 11.

Suffice to say I won't be buying anything with an AMD label on it going forward.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,729 ✭✭✭CoBo55

What are the required specs? I thought they were moving away from that model and doing half yearly changes similar to the Linux distro.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

If anyone is looking for a machine that they plan to run Windows on, be VERY careful indeed, as Microsoft have released the spec for their planned update to Windows 11 later this year, and the number of CPU's that will be capable of running this new version is very small, and AMD have just chopped support for a significant number of CPU's that will effectively not be supported in future versions of Win 10, let alone Win 11.

There is a new release of the health check utility that can check if your machine will run Win 11, and I anticipate that there will be a very large number of systems that will NOT be capable of running this new (Free to current up to date Win 10 users) update, due later this year. Win 10 will be killed off in 2025, so that could mean a short life for many systems that are currently on offer, even in main line retail.

I have a laptop here that is less than 3 years old, and AMD are no longer supporting the chip set for it, so that's effectively killed it. Yes, it should continue to work, but if anything goes wrong with a Microsoft update, it's dead, and won't be capable of being upgraded to Win 11.

Suffice to say I won't be buying anything with an AMD label on it going forward.

I'm not sure if this is a concern for someone buying a new laptop. It won't support Intel 8th gen or older and Ryzen 1st Gen or older. No new laptops should be using those. Sucks for people with older laptops that will run it perfectly being excluded but not a concern for people buying new.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

I'm not sure if this is a concern for someone buying a new laptop. It won't support Intel 8th gen or older and Ryzen 1st Gen or older. No new laptops should be using those. Sucks for people with older laptops that will run it perfectly being excluded but not a concern for people buying new.

The area of concern would be that some of the budget laptops were using things like the AMD A series, and they've been chopped from support a few days ago, the area that would be most risky would be companies that sell refurbished machines, or things like Amazon returns, and companies selling remaindered stock that might be that bit older.

While they will still run Win 10, they may well not be capable of running Win 11, and at this point, while Microsoft may say that Win 10 will be supported for some time, that could very easily change, and AMD have chopped upgrade support for some chips, so that might be an issue if something in a Windows update breaks the driver, and that's not too uncommon unfortunately.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Well said. This news about AMD chopping support for chip sets has sadly very likely happened to me.

The machine that I have previously ordered from my reseller was a brand new Asus Vivobook laptop with an AMD Ryzen 3 3250U chip set & a 1TB HDD included with it. This machine was ordered by me sometime back during the May BH weekend earlier this year. An email from my supplier was giving me the news that the distrubution dept involved in the business had told the guy selling it to me that the machine that I had ordered in May had been put into EOL. I have been told from this reseller that I now have to purchase an alternative laptop instead if I contact him. I'm pretty gutted about that because I had paid a lot of money, up to €680 for it, to get this new machine into my hand. But now it's not coming at all since I got that email last week. All this uncertainty is being heightened now as Windows 11 was officially unveiled by Microsoft yesterday.

The full specs for my initial laptop order are listed here.

ASUS VivoBook 17 M712DA-AU487T notebook DDR4-SDRAM 43.2 cm (17")
    AMD Ryzen 3 3250 U
    8 GB RAM
    1000 GB HDD
    Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
    Windows 10 Home Edition

At the time; I was kind of being put off with the prices being offered for laptops with the large SSD's as they were quite expensive. I was actually considering to put off or delay myself buying a laptop preferably until the Autumn when the Sun Valley Update for Windows 10 was being released at that point. I am now thinking that I should have stuck with the decision to not buy one yet until then now that Windows 11 is now going to be included in the mix for new devices. It's great news for the people who are considering to delay the option to buy a new machine until later in the year; but it now has to be done with a bit of caution thrown into the wind.

The reseller for my new laptop is Digicom which is based in Ballymount in Dublin 12. They recently had their webstore opened as a new venture on their website over six months ago. The guy selling me the laptop said to me they have had about 90% of the devices sold from the store to be used for devices intended for home use. I hope that whatever outcome that I get from them will be something that is positive for my situation in getting a laptop that is suitable for Windows 11 in the future. It will be great news for me if I get a good outcome for it soon.

Advertisement