Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Christmas TV 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Joe...It's a disgrace Joe, gets earlier every year........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Was watching the SAS celeb show on C4 last night and in one of the ad breaks there was a short ad for the new series of bake off with the white cliffs of Dover replaced by a sponge cake... and a coming soon line... I know its not technically a christmas show but I consider it a solid stepping stone on the journey... looking forward to it starting now.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

Saw a DSF ad last night was sad that it was still their summer sale one and not the order now to have by Christmas one!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Never seen it but 9 seasons of it up now on ALL4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,156 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The soccer comedy Ted Lasso has a christmas themed episode (season 2 episode 4 'Carols of the Bells') I have just stumbled upon.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭pigtail33

As posted before, I don't have Netflix, so I'll stick to my old style recording 😁

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I don't know what people without Netflix must do with all the spare time! 😂

I have Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney plus and Apple TV 😂😂 and I barely have time to watch any of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭gidget

Not sure if anyone else watches Ghosts on BBC, but spotted this today. I knew there was another Christmas special on the way, but first time hearing who was guest starring in it.

What is this spare time you're talking about? 🤔

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I assume it's something people who don't have online streaming services have. Squid Game took over my life last week! 😂

Squid game is the only thing I've watched on netflix in months...

The Mrs is working her way through heartland these days though...

Listen to people talking about what they watch on Netflix! 😀

Yeah, just smile and nod at people talking about Squid Game. 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭DenMan

Is there a third Christmas Chronicles on the way this year?

Full Christmas tv schedule set to be released November 30th this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is that for all the irish channels?

For the U.K. channels. Irish estimated 4th December.

• Advertisement

I started watching the FX/BBC adaption of A Christmas Carol from 2019 only 2 years too late, I watched the first episode last night. 3 episodes of 1 hour each, I though the first episode was very good with strong acting performances and visually it looks stunning if not a bit grim looking but that was the times I guess.I can already see how some people wouldn't like it, it is very bleak and slow moving but I'm enjoying it.

Did anyone else watch it when it aired 2 years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

I watched it and quite enjoyed it although like you said it is dark. Gets darker ha.

Watched it at the time, it sways off the beaten track later on but its an interesting take on the old classic for sure.

The NOW 80s music TV channel will soon be rebranding to NOW Christmas. It'll be the only dedicated Christmas music TV channel to feature on Sky, Freeview and Virgin Media. Example programming, includes:

• Christmas Party Anthems!

• Pete Waterman’s Xmas Through The Ages

• Michael Bublé & Friends at Christmas

• Just 1 Day to Christmas!

• Mel C’s 30 UK Christmas No.1s!

The channel switchover is set to take place on the 20th November and will remain on-air until Stephen’s Day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

So I have two whole days off work two weeks before Christmas....kids will be in school and husband will be in work.....I am planning two days of movies.....preferably hallmark crap.....I love awful Christmas romance. Is there anyway to get the hallmark channel in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

If you have sky the movie channel Christmas 24 shows a lot of them 😉👍

Netflix and Amazon prime have a lot of them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Thanks, will they have the new ones? As I’d say I watched all the old ones 😀 hopefully anyway

• Advertisement

There are a few new Christmas films coming to Netflix this year, anyway. A Boy Called Christmas, A Castle for Christmas, a third Princess Switch to name a few- and Last Christmas (although not a new film) has recently been added to Netflix too. 🙂

Might have to finally bite the bullet and go over to the dark side!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😳😱😱😱😱😱😱😱

and leave me here all alone 😄😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 248 ✭✭freida

Has anyone found the Christmas channel on virgin media. It used to be true movies . But I think that is gone now? 🤔

Yeah, I think True Movies is gone from Virgin Media now. They replaced it with the Sony Channel as far as I know.

I know a load of those channels were replaced on the sky platform by Great!Movies & couple of others. There's already 2 or 3 Christmas movie related ones there now. SKY will have a designated christmas channel too but thats in their movie package with an additional subscription charge.

Seems more Christmas movie then music channels on Sky these days.

there is indeed. I manually tuned in the music ones but its a chore having to go look for them so haven't bothered since tuning them in.

Yea, don't think i'd be that pushed either to be honest. Christmas FM will do me just fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Food Network has gone from being "lets make spooky cakes!" to over 50% Christmas content already. That's my background noise channel (well, except for Mystery Diners and Man vs Food which I can't watch) although, beyond changing how I do roast veg, I'm not sure I've ever picked up much from it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Is this the one that Guy Pierce plays Scrooge in?

Oh right, hope you liked it but have to say I did not like it at all. Far too grim and don't know if you saw all of it yet but one scene did not sit right with me at all.

I'm a big fan of A Christmas Carol and for the big money spent on this I thought it was rubbish tbh.

Is that the scrooge background bit with sexual abuse used as a reason for his development and the other bits associated to that part of the adaption? If so, I agree, that didn't sit right with me either as its a huge leap from anything in the book.

I only thought of what you are talking about after my post so there is two scenes that do not sit well with me now.

I don't know how to do spoiler warning but I think you know the other scene I'm talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 newmem

I totally agree with you. A Christmas Carol is probably my favourite book ever and have seen so many versions but I really did not like this version at all and found it quite a difficult watch. Would not recommend it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

I've a hotel night away tomorrow with the littlest elf who is nearly 10. Last year we listened to a Bbc radio adaptation of A Christmas Carol on the school runs and have got a copy of the Patrick Stewart to watch at the hotel, as per his request (the specific version was my choice). Also have Mickey's Christmas Carol to watch at a later time.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 newmem

Would really recommend the Disney Christmas Dvd's Mickey's Once upon a christmas and Mickeys Twice upon a Christmas. My kids loved to watch these every year. They are lovely movies to get you in the spirit of Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,156 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not sure where else to put this - it is Christmas TV adjacent in that there was a short lived TV show Count Arthur Strong from the long running BBC radio comedy series. I don't think they ever did a Christmas TV special though :(

There will be a new episode on Christmas Day, and you can listen back to some of the old Christmas specials on the BBC radio site now...

Brace for corny jokes, puns, malapropisms and epic stinginess!

Count Arthur Strong's Radio Show! - Poundsqueezers - BBC Sounds

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,548 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Box Hits is now Boxmas. Not on Sky Ireland or Freesat unless you tune it in, may be on Virgin.

Higher quality in terms of tracks and video quality than the Trace channel.

• Advertisement
Advertisement