Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

in the meantime the world has changed again, relying on china is like taking a trip on the back of a tarantula plus the economics will change again, a factory full of robots in the US cant be that different to a factory full of robots in China

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,577 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

the difference is bigger than even these figures suggest

Consumer price inflation UK 2016-2021 9.4%

Consumer price inflation ROI 2016-2021 2.8%

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

That's where you're wrong; first of all you have energy prices, secondly you have regulations on what's allowed, maintenance, environmental standards, working hours etc. which in China you can get away with a heck of a lot more than in the USA. Third ties into this is state subsidization and copyright laws meaning buying a knock off illegal copied machine in China, setting it up to run with workers doing 12h days 6 days a week etc. while polluting the local river run on cheap energy is a whole different ball game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If you do all the figures in Euro, then the ONS figures will look even worse when the depreciation of GB£ is taken into account. Add inflation, and they will be worse again.

Brexit was never about economics nor about international trade. It was all about recreating that blitz spirit or the Dunkirk spirit, which none of the Brexiteers actually lived through. But hey, what does a bit of extra red tape mean when you have all that control over your borders (that you leave open because you do not have the Customs and Excise guys to control it).

The issue isn’t really that in so much as those with an imaginary notion of a 1950s economy in England seem to think they can go back to the days when they were an industrial powerhouse. They don’t have the industrial base, skills base or the kinda of businesses you would need to do that. They’re not Germany or Japan, nor are they the United States.

If you're a services based economy, you need an educated workforce. There’s an ideological issue now coming along that some upper crust Tories think that university should be only accessed by the elite in society and should have high economic costs.

The reality is that a degree in a knowledge based economy is similar to having your GCSEs or Leaving Cert decades ago.

The U.K. deciding that they’re going to cut the university access by half isn’t going to remove the fact that the rest of Europe and the developed world won’t be doing that and U.K. citizens will just become less employable and less productive in the sense of generation of value per hour worked.

All I can see is people ranting about modern liberal economics and globalism on one side of their mouths, and on the other ranting that they want to be the most liberal and global economy, while proposing to tool up their citizenry for the economy of the 1950s.

It’s worthy of a discussion on an Internet forum or in the pub, not a basis to run a country of 69 million people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The report that article was sourced from specifically highlights Brexit as having a major impact on the number of HGV drivers in the UK. Also, the UK shortage numbers were taken from early 2020, and the situation was expected to significantly worsen over the summer, again, due to Brexit.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

However Global Britain is going to achieve, it is hindered by the monoglot public who cannot even speak their own native English very well. If they want to conquer the world anew, they need to speak to the natives in their own language.

How many UK students are studying Mandarin, or Spanish, or Portuguese? Or even French or German?

How big is the UK Sovereign Fund to invest in the future? Oh, yes they have a UK National Debt instead - we will see how useful that will be. The GB£ has ceased to be a reserve currency and is now seen as a soft currency.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭dogbert27

SNIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Considering less than 2% of Irish people regularly speak Irish and less than 40% can speak any your comments regarding English people speaking their own language properly are strange Sam.

Ireland is not putting itself forward as a global power.

• Advertisement

I have a feeling there may be a historical reason behind that...my memory fails me

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Parking restrictions and closing down of public toilets makes a difficult job even more difficult year after year. On French motorways you have frequent Aires

There's 85,000 people in the UK with HGV licences who don't use them. There's no problem on the supply side. Pay and conditions and hours and stress means they probably won't be signing up any day soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭yagan

The real point is that collectively the EU has a massive pool linguists specifically tuned into global languages for trade talks. The UK over the last two decades have massively reduced languages in education.

I'm reminded of a story of why there were German locomotives on British rails in Chile. British investors had piled a load of money into the Chilean phosphate business, tracks were bought from Britain which was the biggest industrial producer at the time but for some reason engine makers couldn't understand why there were no orders for their locomotives. They had sent out plenty of sales agents but their German competition had done what the British never thought of, print their sales brochures in Español.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

An interesting bye-line to all this is that most Leave voters 'and' Tory voters are 50 plus and a large swathe of them are 65+ and 75+. These are the people least likely to have attended university or to have had further education. So it's no coincidence that Brexit ideology is primarily anti-further education. Its adherents are full of 'university of life' stuff and believing that unis are full of snowflakes and leftie liberals (both lecturers and the students) who hate Brexit and the Conservative Party and are a breeding ground for 'leftie woke nonsense'.

In a way, they are actually correct. The biggest threat to Brexitism and right wing populism in England does indeed come from the young and the educated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,342 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I'm not averse to the idea of workers being properly paid and consumers paying higher prices as necessary to fund that — not at all.

I'm just deeply, deeply sceptical that Brexit is the means by which this is going to be achieved. If you look at the forces in control of the Brexit project and the direction in which they are driving it, this is definitely not what they are aiming for. The neoliberal fragmentation and casualisation of the labour market is not going away in Brexit Britain; far from it.

If you did want to address that, Brexit is not how you would go about it - you don't need Brexit to do it. Take the HGV drivers - I've already explained why, while I don't begrudge them the bonuses currently on offer, I think it's untypical and will likely be transient. If you want a more sustainable and long-term fix to the labour market for HGV drivers look to the Netherlands, where a floor on wages and conditions is set by a collective labour agreement that applies across the sector and is legally binding You don't need Brexit to tackle this issue, and Brexiting does not make it any more likely that it will be tackled.

According to that article there is one European country with a greater shortage than the UK, which is Poland. But Poland isn't experiencing supermarket shortages and filling station closures because it hasn't decided to leave the Single Market while suffering from a HGV driver shortages. The point about the UK is that the effects of the driver shortage have have been compounded by unilateral, unconstrained, self-destructive choices.

Shortages of hgv drivers,empty shelves and dramatic drops in trade are painful but at least the futility of brexit and the incompetence of it's architects are hopefully being seen in a true light.

I dunno. Once you've sacrificed your youngest child to the Sun God it's very hard to accept that the Sun God doesn't exist and you've done this appalling thing for no good reason. This is how the Inca rulers used to assure themselves the loyalty of the nobles of provinces newly incorporated into the Inca empire.

Brexit isn't quite on a par with sacrificing your children to the gods, but the same principle applies. Once you have voted to inflict harm on yourself and your country, you are highly motivated to believe that what you have done is right and worthwhile. So Brexit supporters will tend to cling to the belief that (a) all the bad outcomes of Brexit are not, in fact, outcomes of Brexit, or (b) if they are, which is denied, they are justified by the Greater Good of Sovereignty, Blue Passports and owning the libs. Getting past this will be a years-long project and will require a new generation of political leaders who are not tainted by complicity in Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

The latest in Global Britain seems to be that they're investing $1.2bn in India in exchange for a pinkie promise they'll be, "ambitious" with trade talks together. Would you not be embarrassed to boast about this?!

Does the UK Chancellor have any personal connection with India?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I won't link to the article but the current lead story on the Express website falls under the very excited heading "Brexit vindicated! Damning data humiliates Remainer hysterics over HGV driver shortage".

However, back in the real world, the disruption continues. According to the Local Government Chronicle, several councils are still facing disruption to their waste collection services as a result of the national shortage of HGV drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭landofthetree

Britain’s investment in the financial technology industry has hit a new record, with almost £18bn worth of deals in the first half of this year, placing the UK second in the world behind the US.

Irish construction workere head to the UK for better wages. I know 6 civil engineers who have left even after construction reopened.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/construction-sector-lost-10-of-workers-during-covid-darragh-obrien-1247032?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1630657522

We need to build up capacity in the sector,” he said. “The sector actually has contracted by about 10% in human resources because of the pandemic – many people in the sector left and went to continental Europe and Britain.

The UK public were lied to when they were told immigration doesn't reduce wages. It was total lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

To be honest your post shows how immigration doesn't reduce wages. The only reason Irish people can move to the UK is because Irish rights to work in the UK haven't been impacted by Brexit. If those Irish people couldn't move easily to the UK, they would have to accept lower wages in Ireland with limited ability to do anything about it.

UK accepting Irish immigrants in search of higher wages proves that immigration lowers wages. Right, gotcha.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hgv drivers start at around 23k GBP and plumbers average salary is 25074GBP; hence neither would by default meet that requirement (both taken from Google's "People ask" answer).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,874 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

you have to collar the politicians that let these pressures build up from 20 years back assuming it influenced the vote but Its spilled beer at this stage. There is just a certain amount of Schadenfreude about the whole thing

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Afair a major thing India has wanted out of any trade agreement with the EU was an increase in visas for their citizens (from the EU members). I expect UK "ambitions" will be still born without opening the gates to loads of Indian migrant workers. Suppose I am banging a drum by stating it again, but the stars are (kind of) aligning for it given current labour shortages in their economy. I wish them best of luck with it if they go down that path as they will need it IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭yagan

Aren't Irish citizens resident in England already found to have an income 41% above their British counterparts?

According to the two tanker drivers(working for the British section of large German and Swiss hauliers)I've spoken to delivering chemicals to my work place,the flat pay is around £10 an hour,this is enhanced with guaranteed OT at double time.They both said pay was rising until Eastern European drivers flooded the UK market,which caused it to stagnate.I realise this is hearsay although when I passed my class 2 back in the late 90s it was £9 an hour so it hasn't risen much since then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,391 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Interestingly, even Vote Leave never used the 'EU immigration depresses wages' argument in any of their literature. For some strange reason, it has surfaced among 2021 Brexiteers and they are claiming it as a big factor in their vote to leave.

Advertisement