Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remote working - the future?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

Again, absolute zero of any of the above being a problem for myself, my colleagues or friends. No problem whatsoever switching off, no blurred lines and no extra costs when offset against cost of transport to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

The scramble is now on to find accommodation in cities like Dublin, where the pandemic has led to a lot of landlords selling up. The joys.. oh and the CAO offers are out next week too so students and professionals alike will be competing to rent a **** mouldy basement flat that costs you €1000 a month.

I thought looking for a flat before the pandemic was bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,951 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I don’t believe that for a second, all your colleagues and friends want to work from home ?

its a problem for lots of ‘real’ people I can assure you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

Hey cool the jets, no need to be nasty - it's an anonymous internet forum, plenty of more productive ways to expend your energy!

Remote work suits some people / roles - doesn't suit others.

for those that want to maintain it, it is amazing and, of course, they should be allowed maintain it - it's the future. for those that want to revert to offices, by all means do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭storker

Likewise. I start at 9 and finish at 5.30. I have a dedicated office room. My wife works full time and my kids are teenagers are largely self-sufficient. The improvement WFH has brought to my quality of life has been enormous, and yes, I do get more time with my family. That tends to happen when you get back over 3 hours per day. Any increase in electricity or gas bills as a result of WFH are well worth it. That's how WFH is for some people and many do not want to go back to working in an office, many don't mind either way, and some people can't wait to get back because they need the interaction, feel it will improve their employment prospects, or for whom WFH is a pain for a variety of different possible reasons. This is a subject where generalisations don't really work because each person's set of circumstances, personality, attitude and requirements of the job will be different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

We have been told we will be working 40% of the time. My office mates have complained about the ventilation in winter etc., So good luck to them trying to get us back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

This is on the money.

My neighbour now walks his sons to school every morning, then gets a coffee for himself on the walk home and is at his desk to work at 8.45 - he loves it and couldn't imagine not walking his kids to school anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

The amount of emails flying aropund in our company asking if anyone has a spare room to rent while people find their own place once work gets back to the office.

Also a few asking for rooms for their kids going to college in various places.

Thats only in the last week.

I think there is a major panic on now from people who have just realized they have to come back to the office. In our place anyway.

I did miss going into the office for a while, but not anymore.

I save 2.5 hours commuting. And I save an hour just hanging around or walking at lunch time outside the office, because hanging around in the office at lunch time is not lunch when they know where you are if something comes up. And the 10 or 15 minutes that I usually arrive in early because the timing of the buses so as not to be late, is mine now too.

Conservatively I think I have 3 hours a day to myself that I dont have when going to the office.

In the mornings i do the school run. 15 mins. Its a pleasure actually.

Alas that is all coming to an end as we have been told we are going back to the office.

Still hoping against hope that we get at least a couple of days working from home.

Dont care in a few months anyway because im quitting, and after that will probably only ever work in a place with WFH again if its widespread enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Imagine if you continued to get all that time saving AND you got reimbursed for the additional power and heating costs? Your employer should be paying these anyway, from the considerable savings on office costs over the coming years.

There's a bit of Stockholm Syndrome going on here, where people were stuck in such desperate commute patterns that they grasp any opportunity to get away from those. Don't miss the opportunity to negotiate on costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭givyjoe

yes, im fake and so are all of my colleagues and friends. Im just here on a PR campaign for Leo and the lads. 🙄

Yes, they ALL, want to work from home for all of the reasons I and others have described. All of the above folks I mentioned can and do WFH and our jobs are easier to do WFH at this point, with none of the hassle that travelling to the office brings and lots of extra benefits the office doesn't.

Folks seem to keep mentioning kids as a problem, eh, what are you folks going to do when you ARE back in the office?!

Real problems have real solutions, which most real people can overcome with a bit of effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Our employer sent around a questionnaire on what would be your preference for wfh, or blended or back in office. 1600 employees, 92 staff want to return full time to office

• Registered Users Posts: 25,787 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What proportion want permanent off-site working?

TBH all the talk of 3 hour daily commutes strikes me as mad: Most of you should have been looking for better located jobs long, long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,737 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I really can't see how anybody can think the old way of walking over and chatting at a desk can work out better than using online chat.

You literally have the information saved in front or you where you can easily forget something while chatting in person.

Also again I really don't mind helping someone, but when you are trying to work through something and somebody comes over you need to stop and lose concentration.

If online you can just ignore the message and respond once you have time.

Likewise you should have been looking for better jobs, because you seem to have never worked in a place that resembles a modern workplace that trusts and cares about the well being off staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

They're usually the ones that don't do as much work in the office and want to disrupt others.

Since we've started working from home, our metrics have been in the green compared with working from the office and there was red metrics

(a) What makes you assume people haven't been doing just that?

(b) What makes you assume those jobs exist?

Perhaps if you lived in the real word you would realize that not everyone can live close to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,650 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did you ever get valuable information or build a valuable networking relationship from an impromptu chat over coffee or lunch or at the watercooler?

That would be the icing on the cake but it's not a big increase and WFH arrangements/availability haven't been finalised so I'm not prepared to rock that particular boat right now. It has nothing to do with Stockholm Syndrome and everything to do with picking your battles, knowing which ones are worth fighting and which, even if won, could lead to losing the war. Anyway the small amount involved means it's more a skirmish than a battle.

• Advertisement

No but I am not in the office to chat and gossip.

If I need valuable information my manager or team will provide it.

You can talk online and you don't don't a water-cooler to talk to someone.

You can meet up with team members in a coffee shop on lunch or after work also.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Whoever this person is sounds like no fun at all!

No fun bobby. Great at office parties I'd say!

Even when I was in the office I would IM my colleague sat beside me, because in open plan offices, there is nothing more annoying than someone wandering over to the person beside you for a work-related chat, that often turns into the match at the weekend or what Mary Said to Declan in Fair City last night.

Likewise I prefer people to IM me, even if they are just feet away, because I might be in the middle of something, and can respond when I am finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

In fairness I do know one person who lives in a small house and has small children so wfh during covid wasn't great for her and she would like to go back to the office full time, but she is literally the only person I know who wants full time in the office.

Regarding the work survey of 1600 people, I'll find out what the break down was but I know of the people who wanted to go back in some hybrid form, and this was small, 1 day a week for "team day" was most popular choice

• Registered Users Posts: 25,787 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

More naive I think.

If your manager provides you with all the information you need, then count yourself lucky. Many people don't have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,291 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

What is missing here is the need for management to assess the social and other soft skills of staff if they will be client facing or team working.

This includes dress standard, personal hygiene, odour, nails, hair and deportment and simple things like table manners.

Now the use of personal phone and social media during work time is a new headache.

When I started in a FINCORP back in the day, we all got invited to an in-house dinner, full 4 courses, with alcohol and cigars.. yes back that far.

Next day all who needed it got one to ones on table etiquette: eg, the guy who chased the peas with his knife held life a shovel got guidance

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

Perhaps the commute was offset by not renting a barely furnished shoebox that can't even fit a small desk,?

I am great at office parties probably too great.

I am not sure how not wanting to have awkward smalltalk at watercoolers makes somebody no fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Or, you know, the employee could use the savings from less commuting to pay the additional power and heating costs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭C3PO

Advertisement