Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

I'm about to buy my first Mercedes (Used 2015-2017) & need some advice please

Options
  • 26-08-2021 11:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I rented a Mercedes E series several years ago for a weekend & I was thoroughly impressed at the time. I've now decided to pull the trigger on buying a used one. As I have no experience at all as a Merc owner I want to be informed before I go to market, in particular on the topic of major service milestones that could cost me big bucks soon after I buy.

I'm thinking about major outlays like timing belts/ chains or other major service intervals & when they fall due 150,000km?, 200,000km? etc.

Appreciate the advice of those in the know here on what major works need to be done, at what intervals, typical costs or if there are other pitfalls to inspect for when looking at used Mercedes E class's 2015-2017.

Thanks in advance folks,

ITW.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭In the wind

Anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭kirving

Check for a hissing noise under acceleration in the OM651 Diesel - common issue is the intake manifold leaking, and a very expensive fix.

Brakes and tyres expensive, basic service no more expensive than anything else.

Gearbox oil can be dear as the process to change is long.

E300 Hybrid is nice, give it a try.

Brake lines can rust badly.

Front bumper is made of extremely soft plastic for pedestrian protection and is prone to stone chips, as are the lights.

Don't go near one without a full MB history.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,108 ✭✭✭dinneenp

This is very slick & lovely interior. Is 109k miles high/a concern or ok considering the age of the car?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/151-mercedes-benz-c200-bluetec/28983786?campaign=3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,909 ✭✭✭kirving

That Manual gearbox and massive wheels are concerning.

Seriously, that car is cheapest on carzone for a reason - a Manual Merc is deeply deeply undesirable. You'll really struggle to get rid of it in future. A Manual A-Class would be an easier sell to a young driver, but I still wouldn't buy one.

€1500 more gets you this. Not a great ad, but the car looks a little more honest at least.

Very bad time to be buying in this category unfortunately. Prices of some cars are up nearly 50% from a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Nobody buys manual Mercs, the dealer probably threw on those ridiculously oversized alloy wheels to try and help shift it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

0-60 in 11.6 seconds with that 1.6 engine , if your buying a Merc get one with the 2.1 Mercedes engine

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I wouldn't be paying anything near the asking price off someone who doesn't have the car washed and cleaned on the inside.

Your advertising a car to sell surely you want it to look the part!

Advertisement