Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,789 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Of course. That's a pretty decent offer in my book but as always, they need to make a profit on your watch so they try and offer you lower than you could sell it for locally and then sell it on for higher than you could buy it for locally. Very much like trading in your car...

Beware though, WF can easily make a final offer below the bottom of their initial estimate range. What are you going to do then, demand them to send it back to you and you will be back to where you started? With a bad history with WF? It also costs €47 to send a watch to France by registered post and it will NOT be insured for that sum. Also the process could take many weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thanks - probably my best route like when changing cars would be to sell privately... maximize my return on what i have and then buy directly again.. its just a thought... probably not going to act on it any time soon

Moonwatch is a popular watch, an ideal one to use in a trade with WF. You'd get relatively more for it from WF (compared with a private sale) than pretty much any other watch (Rolex sports excepted). Yours has been for sale for a while for only a few hundred over the WF offer. I would take them up on it. There is also some room for negotiation once you show your interest in buying another watch from WF

What's the other watch you are thinking of throwing in?

Another option is a trip to Belfast (Pride & Pinion)

i need to relist my speedmaster... its now boxed with a service and in mint condition so different animal..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Speedmasters aqlways sell, always good trade in pawns. Have you tried an explorer? Talk to unkle he will give you the unfiltered (read not the bark and jack) take on it. Expensive watch these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭scwazrh

its certainly overpriced . I think the 41mm OP is better value , and a nicer watch on the wrist if in a dial colour other than black

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

• Registered Users Posts: 5,128 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Lovely watch. Wouldn't be for me but I was intrigued. I have a trade contact in Ireland who would likely buy it if you were interested.

• Advertisement

Most of them go for far above retail! The light blue on is the nicest of them all (I have said so since the day it launched to much ridicule from the forum) and goes for above twice retail. The only other Rolex that manages that is the Daytona. Super popular these OP. Would fancy one myself too.

the Tiffany blue would be my favourite as well.Pride and pinion had a navy blue with stickers this week for €8600 which is not bad all considered.Dawson’s have a 2020 navy for €9500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Well looks like P Diddy has been reading boards and has weighed in on the Richard Mille thing. This could actually do more to damage the brand than anything else.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Black man save your money and go buy a house nails it. Fair play. He's long noted how Black artists and sports stars have been overcooking it on outblinging each other on the back of record deals and the like and that it's transitory for most of them and when they come out the other side the bling doesn't taste so good. The old MTV cribs series with guys barely out of school swanning around mansions that in many cases were the record company's, or temporarily rented for the optics another example. He's also just as quick at laying some of the blame at guys like himself for that arms race of BS.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

P who?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Why is Mr. Daddy disrespecting Timex?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

RM's are horrendous. Reckon the extra zero is exclusively tax, like grey goose vodka, just make it expensive because there's a market for it. Unique (manky) case design so you can spot it a mile away which is a number 1 priority.

Ok so emailed pride and pinnion and they came back saying they’d be interested in a trade. I’m not sure now what to go for in a rolex. I don’t want a sub. I had been thinking explorer but the 41mm size would probably sit better on my wrist. Any advice on dials, colours, bracelets etc?

I think you should at least try on the 41mm OP.I had the 39 and the 41 is so much better.It fits perfect feels silky like all Rolex and grabs your eye like a Rolex should .The 39mm explorer is meh to me .Dial colour I reckon the navy is the real world option as the rest are just mad money.

stick your head into Dawson’s and try a few watches on. they had subs , sea dwellers , Milgaus and Daytona’s when I was there last week.They would take your speed master as well but like to lowball on price

Actually Mick , scrap what I just said you should buy a Panerai instead .

• Advertisement

Be prepared if you want to do a trade with them. Their asking prices are well above typical. You think you might be getting a good deal based on a generous offer for your watch but if you look into it a bit more, it might not be such a great deal after all! There's the ease of the trade-in deal but there's also the loss if you pay too much to trade up.

As for Rolex, you're in for a ride at the next level, enjoy 🙂 Most Rolex sport have the oyster bracelet (with an easylink adjustment). It is excellent, leading in its class. You will have to try on the different models to see what you like. Don't get too hung up on size. A 39mm Explorer wears bigger than a 40mm submariner / daytona / GMT-master II. If you like a classy, yet sporty watch, don't rule out the Milgauss. Still very underrated and undervalued imho

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Ordered a generic watch bracelet from AliExpress on the 13/08.

Arrived in Ireland on the 19/08, according to tracking.

Cleared customs on 23/08, says the tracking. Still have not had hide nor hair of it.

WTF?

i would suggest getting onto the an post website and try their online chat. I had one package that was stuck in sorting for a week. Another that got sent back to sender due to 'insufficient' customs clearance details. They can usually give you a bit more info on the chat. Don't bother phoning. The chat can take ages to get going but i just left it open while working

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Roy Kean talking about buying his first Rolex.

(not sure hot to imbed a video)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The link is dead Pablo, but if it's anything like his rant to Gary Neville about Instagram and what it's for?

It'd be well worth a look I'd say. I'm still mad at Roy over 2002. I can totally appreciate his principles but we had a chance to go further than 1990 imo.

That said, now that Roy's age is catching up with his inherent grumpiness? He is becoming very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

I wouldn't be overly concerned. Everything seems to b shipped through the Netherlands these days. I dont hold much faith in the "arrived in your country email". You should have it within 2 weeks of that email, after that I'd be asking questions.

EDIT: as you can see from this there's no way in hell it was in China on 1st August, Ireland on the 2nd and then took another 22 days to deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,993 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

After doing a search, is it the time he bought an 11k Rolex which he thought was 1.1k?

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,742 ✭✭✭893bet

Will dress watches ever become proper popular again? On par with the current sports steel craze?

If rolex gave their Cellini line a turn over it could begin a trend again. Not sure they would want that though as it would be along way from their current dominant designs.

Advertisement