Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,629 ✭✭✭corks finest

Exactly the same problem I can’t find any of my followed stuff, it’s a crap house atm

• Registered Users Posts: 16,553 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

No idea if it's relevant to that poster, but for some threads like the Cool Images thread, or other threads where replies are unusual, I can easily see the point of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,294 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Doesn't make sense to me at all. In your example you want everyone to see your 'cool image' but don't want to see anyone else's?

Or in the other example the poster wants to share vaccination details of themselves but don't want to see anyone elses?

In both cases you would need to post in a thread that you are not interested in.

As I said it doesn't make sense to me but sure leave it at that. No need for me to understand everyone's motives

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

It's fuking stupid. End of.

Read my crap, i don't want to read yours. This is a boring thread, I don't want to see it again. Lifes to short....

stupiest stuff I've read in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 28,680 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Agree as well, but it's not going to happen - they can't afford it anymore. We're stuck with this mess.

• Advertisement

To be fair, I use(d?) Boards the same way..

Follow the forums I'm interested in but only followed a thread where it was maybe me asking a specific question/starting it, or in a forum I don't usually visit. My regular forums/threads I'd simply pick up where I left off on my next session and read the subsequent posts.

How people could manage with a tonne of email and pop-up notifications for any thread they posted in is beyond me - the last few days of this latest issue has been bad enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

They butchered VB over the years with addons and mods, It would have run fine but they ruined it, now they're doing the exact same thing with this sh1t they bought and same thing will happen down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

No.

More like replying to a question, compared to "I need to know how many people I've never met will give an arbitrary Thumbs Up to a thing I wrote"

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Was there even an option to not automatically follow threads you post in before?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,452 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Isn't it just as well neither M.O. is compulsory and we can each use Boards the way we prefer? Your interpretation, of the psyche of people who don't want notifications all day about threads, is way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Apparently so, wish I knew about that. Would've made the hit a runs easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

As someone who is exclusively a mobile user, this new update is completely unusable for me. I have given it many tries over the last few weeks and I don’t find it user friendly or easy to navigate, and I’m becoming increasingly frustrated with it.

I have gone from someone who read and contributed several times a day to someone who barely checks once a week because I can’t find my threads or forums and don’t have the patience to spend my time repeatedly trying to figure it all out. It really shouldn’t be this difficult.

The old layout was far superior, at least from a mobile perspective. I haven’t lost all hope yet but I have no interest in posting regularly again until these issues are ironed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭thesandeman

I've done nothing (because I didn't know how) but my notifications have completely disappeared since Friday. Before that I was getting shltloads of them every time I visited.

And that's the irony.. Part of the original reasoning for a migration was that the VB install had become unstable and reached the end of what they could do with it.

As you say, here they are now doing the same thing again as they try to shoehorn what was basic functionality of the old site into this significantly cut down (but cheaper - which it turns out is what matters) alternative. The difference is that they don't own this platform and have to operate within the limits set by the vendor, and/or deal with the issues when that vendor changes something on the back end.

Whoever decided to go ahead with this badly miscalculated IMO

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Morning all.

First up, I have deleted a number of bickering back and forth posts from over the weekend in this thread. It's still the Feedback forum lads and we have enough genuine feedback to be reading without reading the bickering too.

Secondly, a number of users have been shilling another site here (and in other forums) over the last few weeks. We gave some leeway up to now, however the saying give someone an inch and they'll take a mile comes to mind and it has been reported to us that not only are people suggesting it in posts but are PMing other users and actively campaigning to get them to join the other site. Sorry but no. In fact I am not sorry, just no. Shilling has always been against site rules and from now on anyone shilling will be dealt with as a shiller. The site address has been blocked via the swear filter.

In better news, 'Bookmark this discussion' has been added beneath the comment box so that you can follow any thread that you comment on if you want. If you don't want to follow the thread, simply untick the box. I have discovered that if you are the OP it doesn't actually bookmark your thread but that is a bug which I have now reported.

The mass amount of notifications were rolled back on Friday night also so nobody should be getting inundated with unwanted notifications any more.

Thanks all, we will be back later with more for you hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

The bookmark this discussion is a good one Niamh. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

@Boards.ie: Niamh as per my post "bookmark my discussion" being automatically ticked is a huge problem for me (and others on here, but obviously some people love it), especially on mobile.

On the old site it was possible to set your default NOT to automatically follow threads you post in. That's how I've used boards for over a decade. Could it at least be possible that if you untick the box that it stays unticked until you tick it again? It's been a massive problem for me this weekend and is putting me off posting.

I have already asked about this today @Caranica and will let you know what the response is. Thanks.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,154 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Is there any update on the general notifications issues as flagged a number of times at this stage though?

That is -

1) Posting in a thread does not automatically follow it (the earlier debate notwithstanding; I agree it should be an option not to follow by default), and there is no option to unfollow some threads but leave others followed.

2) Notifications come for every post in a followed thread, but before it was a max of one notification per updated thread

3) Notifications on desktop have to be cleared individually, even if there are several notifications from the same thread

4) Notifications on mobile are all cleared when you click into one of them.

All of this is making the site unusable, as the number of posts presumably show. But despite raising this a number of times in the past few weeks, I don't think a single update has ever been given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

@Boards.ie: Niamh wondering if/when we might see the return of the most thanked posts feature? It was always the first page I visited and then opened up threads of interest from there. My own usage is down significantly since it has been missing and Id say it is similar for many others

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Can we get some more options on pagination instead of just next / previous.

We were previously able to click the first page, last page and then the next few and previous few.

OK, but that's really the same manual way of doing things as we have now but with the tickbox in a different part of the screen. And it doesn't address the other notification issues at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,479 ✭✭✭✭28064212

The box is checked by default. If you post in a discussion now, without doing anything else, it will automatically be bookmarked. That wasn't the case before the tickbox was there

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 40,164 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is an improvement on what was there before.

No update on general notifications just at the moment, I know our previous notifications were a lot more nuanced than what we have now but for the minute we are working on fixing things that are still not working correctly (like search) and adding things that are still missing (like a My Forums menu and Most Thanked).

New features which the more nuanced notifications are on this platform, will have to come after that I'm afraid.

I don't have a date for it but it will be worked on soon. I know that sounds very vague but it was mentioned this morning as something to work on next.

I am the same, I would always look at the Thanks tab on the homepage to see what's happening and what's popular on any given day and I miss it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Thanks Niamh, good to hear it is on the list to return. I think without it great posts in quieter forums get missed by the community, that has been the case for me anyway and my browsing time is down as a result. It was always a great way of discovering new forums and topics and was my first port of call on Boards so hopefully we see its return soon

• Advertisement

OK, fairy nuff - I'd missed that aspect of it. And Niamh's reply noted too (even if it does raise further questions about how much prep was done ahead of the change unfortunately...)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement