Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown make. Any info

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Wibbs

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

😂

Aroxana were one of those Swiss "microbrands" that were common to the watch business from the 40's up to the 1970's. I'd put yours in the late 50's early 60's by the overall style of men's watches of that time. Has a decently jewelled movement so should respond well to some TLC. These brands used bought in Swiss movements so parts if needed should be easy to source. Probably just needs a mainspring and a service. That's as much as I'd do to it myself. It'll be gold plated(I'd bet the back of the case is steel) so not too many options to restore the case, though a light cleaning should help, maybe a new crown which would brighten it up. A new crystal would jazz it up too. None of this stuff is mad money either and that way you'd have your dad's watch ready for another 60 years of service. 🙂

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Thanks for the reply.

It hasn't run for at least 20 years. I wound it today and its keeping perfect time.

Yes, was thinking of a new crystal, a clean and a service. It looks to be plated ok, hopefully will clean up well.the back is stainless and marked as swiss made.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,133 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Amazing how these old watches run perfectly once they are wound, after lying idle for years.

I wear my da's old watch too the odd day, and it keep excellent time as well. I'm guessing it must be 50+ years old.

Advertisement