Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any other women here vote NO for the 8th?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

This is the exact sort of so-called debate where views are so deeply entrenched that these threads end up going round in circles, tit-for-tat arguments between posters and a lot of preaching, grandstanding and moralising with a thick dollop of patronising and condescending posts.

Anyway, the vote was has and the Irish electorate spoke loud and clear on the matter. Now we have moved on.

Dame Helen Mirren put it so aptly...

I respect your honesty and am disturbed by your opinion. Are you a parent?

Also I'd be interested as to when you think the father of a child should have any rights?

Do you think he should be liable for financial support if a woman decides to have a child he would not want to have?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Growing up I used to think that the Swiss had an amazing deal with all of their referendums, like being able to influence politics etc. As I got older I realised what an absolute mess this causes, and how much it complicates everything.

There are things the general population should never be able to decide on, simply because most people lack the ability to see matters objectively.

Same with this **** referendum, where common sense was lost as emotions cooked over left right and centre.

Great fun to watch people lose their carefully constructed outward image of a caring and compassionate person, while selfishly trying to control the lives of others.

All in the glorious name of morality. Humanity at its finest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,776 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I voted yes for my colleague's wife who had an unviable pregnancy and had to travel to Liverpool, while very ill herself, for a late term termination, to receive her child's remains back in a FedEx package some weeks later.

While I can never feel how a mother feels, particularly an expectant mother, in the teeth of the 8th Amendment, I would always have said, think of other mothers in a worsen off situation than yourself.

Think of my friend, think of the woman who needs radical cancer treatment and has to have a termination to live herself, think of the next Savita. None of those deserve to have their treatment delayed, none of them deserve to have their health care exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t recall at any point claiming I questioned whether I was or wasn’t part of Irish society, so your question is moot. I at least am capable of acknowledging that I don’t have a choice in the matter - I am part of Irish society, whether I like it or no, though I don’t expect my answer will in any way influence your opinion as to whether or not abortion is an issue which affects everyone in any given society, which is why it’s strictly regulated and it’s simply untrue to claim that a woman’s medical decisions, in this case in relation to abortion, only affect her.

You’re free to continue to wish that were the case, but when you choose to express such an opinion on a public forum, you’re giving other people the opportunity to correct your misinformation. They may choose to do so in a far less polite fashion than I have done, or they may choose to believe you have the capacity for rational thought and reason when presented with evidence that your claim is false. I’m beginning to think the former may have been a wiser course of action at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

You claimed a woman having an abortion effects everyone in society. Yet refuse to say how it effects you.......🙄 So either it doesn't effect you because you aren't part of society or it doesn't actually effect you.

That doctors and medical procedures are regulated isn't evidence of a woman's abortion effecting everyone in society it's just a random straw you are clutching at.

But hey keep waffling instead of backing up your nonsense

Misinformation? I don't think you understand what that means. But that isn't surprising.

Ahh, I think I see what’s happened - you simply misread my post and you’re attempting to attribute something to me which I neither said, nor indicated, nor could it reasonably be deduced from what I did say, which was this -

While the equivalence with masturbation is beyond stupid I grant you, for many reasons, it’s simply not the case either that a woman’s medical choices (if you want to put her decisions relating to a termination of the pregnancy in those terms) affect only her. Abortion is an issue which undoubtedly affects everyone in society, regardless of their sex or gender, regardless of their age and indeed regardless of whether they are or have yet to be born.

Two different points, the first one refers to your claim that a woman’s medical decisions only affect her. The second one refers to abortion as an issue which affects everyone in society, which is why it’s strictly regulated and it’s these regulations will affect the decisions anyone makes in relation to abortion. It’s why for example most GPs in Ireland are unwilling to provide abortion services, because they’re unwilling to be responsible should any unforeseen circumstances arise for one thing which could adversely affect them.

It’s just untrue to suggest that a woman’s medical decisions only affect her, which is the only point of yours I had any interest in correcting, and I provided evidence to support my argument, whereas you have provided nothing more than what appears to be an opinion based entirely upon your own wishful thinking.

That is literally the plot for my unpublished screenplay, "Honey, I Aborted the Kids."

But, yeah, the anti-abortion crowd are great craic.

"Won't somebody please think of the aborted children?"

"Ok, I've had the child I didn't really want. What now?"

"You can f*ck off now, we're not interested anymore."

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think it's hilarious that some people think "pro-choice" means "pro abortion". I don't think I've ever heard of anyone being genuinely in favour of abortion, not even people who work in abortion clinics and perform them. If you have to make the choice, you've already screwed up, but at least you have that choice, which can go either way.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭mojesius

Absolutely not. The vote was not about legalising late-term abortions though so I'm not sure why you're raising that question.

Edit for clarity: I don't think it should be legal for unrestricted abortions at 30 weeks but where there is FFAs or the mother's life is at risk, it's unfortunately sometimes necessary.

• Advertisement

Ohh I don’t know that that’s quite true either tbh. In reality it’s sometimes the case that they take what could only be regarded as a rather unhealthy degree of interest in how other people raise their own children. Quite often it’s the opposite, and proves rather difficult for people to tell other people who want to participate in telling others how to raise their own children, to fcuk off 😂

But most of the time, most people regardless of their opinions on abortion, restrict themselves to providing education and that sort of thing to society for the benefit of people who support their particular ideology, which is kinda handy if you have children, and not so handy if you’ve had an abortion, because it’s then you’ll find out who really wants to support you, and who doesn’t, as opposed to just using your circumstances to promote their own ideas in society.

I’d struggle to tell Greta Thunberg to fcuk off for example, but if some people had their way she would have been unlikely to have ever been born in the first place. It’s one of those curious paradoxes 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,837 ✭✭✭pgj2015

They could always give the child up for adoption if they felt they couldn't look after it themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

It was actually a very simple and non controversial decision for me, you see I don't believe I or anyone else has the right to force someone to have a pregnancy against there will, for whatever reason, it was that simple...you no it never ceases to amaze me how many people there are that think they have a right to have a say on what people do with there own bodies or life...its scary.

You sound like great craic yourself.

sorry for caring about an unborn innocent fetus.

Anyway the referendum didn't go the way I wanted but I can sleep easily knowing I did my best and voted no, the yes voters can live with the way they voted.

I know a young couple who have a child who is around 1 or 2. the woman got pregnant quickly after the first and they got an abortion. reason, it was too early to have another one after the first. so the first kid gets to grow up and experience this great life and all that comes with it. The second one who got aborted was just unlucky he was conceived so soon after the first child. I think that is really sad, just think about it, there was nothing wrong with the second one, just bad timing. That is a tragedy and don't tell me it isn't.

Yeah, you probably misread my post or something. It's satire.

And they clearly decided they weren't in a position to take care of two children. To me, that's not a tragedy. But, yeah, agree to disagree.

Posters seem to think that repealing the 8th amendment was all about abortion.

It wasnt, the 8th amendment to the constitution gave the unborn equal status to a live living human woman.

any treatment that woman needed, the unborn was equal, so, if medical treatment was required by the woman, it depended on whether it affected the unborn.

that's not right, and thankfully women have control now over their own bodies and whatever medical treatment they need.

my body, my choice, is not all about abortion.

The original post is just a p*ss take. After hours, after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Woman chooses to have abortion -> My body my choice! Right to Choose! Bodily Autonomy for Women! Keep your Rosaries off my Ovaries!

Man chooses not to get vaccinated -> Antivaxer! Alt-Right Pig! Conspiracy theorist! Science Denier! Racist!

😐️

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Because other people don't want to see that (or clean up after it). Similarly, "my body, my choice" would not apply to having a surgical abortion on a flight.

Your flight argument is the sort of thing an idiot would come up with.

I hope that couple don't live to regret it. I know someone who had an abortion when she was younger, pressure from her parents. she ended up a heroin addict and she told me it was the abortion that drove her to the drugs.

The aborted fetus of the couple could have gone on to have a great life, if that isn't a tragedy, what is? sorry you don't get to be born because you were conceived at a bad time.

A good few people who are anti vax, regardless of gender, tend to prove that they are one or all of those terms in your second paragraph by exactly what they post online, including being as thick as pig sh1t.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

People are critical of those who don't get vaccinated, whether male or female, because it's potentially harmful for those who can't get vaccinations or who are immuno-compromised though.

Because they believe it isn't just their body.

People are critical of those who get abortions because it is harmful to the fetus.

I feel like we've made progress today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭piplip87

I voted yes for two reasons.

1) It's none of my business if a woman wants to abort a pregnancy.

2) There's thousands of kids in this country born to people who can't look after themselves, nevermind a kid. I hate to say it but they would have been better off aborted.

I'm sure the nuns of Tuam had the same ideology

Have pro abortion groups or feminists in general come out in favour of bodily autonomy?

• Advertisement

There are plenty of reason to support early term abortion. It’s just a cluster of cells for instance. However bodily choice would also apply to late term abortions, where there’s clearly another viable human in there.

Advertisement