Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dinghy/inflatable on blessington lake?

Options
  • 27-08-2021 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 38

have a very basic inflatable dinghy with paddles from lidl and wanted to try it out. nothing serious, no "all around the lake" test etc, have a 50n swim vest too. now i realised there are esb boat permits of course...found this one:

which says "inflatables of any type NOT permitted".

Am I getting this right, does this permit apply to such small/recreational stuff?

Are dinghys or kayaks (inflatable from decathlon?) not allowed on blessington?

Does the same apply for all other lakes in Ireland as well?

Where can I use it then? sea? that's way more dangerous, lol

Rgds,

B.

Ps. No big deal atm, but was thinking about getting something like BARK sometime later, but if that's correct seems there is no point to buy that type of equipment...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Those boats are a death trap, don't use it LIDL should not be selling them. It's a big lake, imagen you went out when there is strong wind and you get blown out across it. No imagen you are 12 and panic and try to swim back but don't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Bodo

thx @spaceHopper. any other thoughts, guys? would be great if any owners of (inflatable) dinghys/kayaks could share their knowledge, thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

canal

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Can you post a link to the type of inflatable boat you have? Personally i'd be wary of them in water I didn't know well, and probably wary of them in water I did know well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭daveville30

Canal or a small river that's not to wide or fast flowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Choose a location with in ONSHORE wind. They are effected hugely by wind.

Then, like any boat trip, match the boat crew, on-shore rescue with the skills and rescue equipment to hand. Don't be afraid, but be very respectful.

Advertisement