Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blindboy cancels himself.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

He'll be on Turgidy, all teary eyed and remorseful. Blaming everyone but himself on how he was oppressed and picked on because of his mental health.

He's a fu5king asshole who should be permanently cancelled.

No I'm not one for criticism for the sake of criticism, nor do I go down the road of using abusive language (he shouldn't be cancelled!) but I simply dislike the Blindboy character. It's so much that I just have no time for. And that's OK. People can dislike public figures without being horrible human beings. Some of the posts decrying the criticism of him are as personal and angry as those they object to.

His views - I'd probably share a number of them, but he does seem self righteous and self important. He does seem to want to play to the crowd. He's not rebellious or outspoken. His views are popular. They would have been anti establishment once but they're the standard now. And his podcast being popular? Well Love Island is popular. Popular doesn't always equate to quality.

There are obviously far, far worse people than him though, and he's not harmful or dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,102 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Where did the other lad Mr Chrome go?

The rubberbandits fb/insta/twitter is just BB shilling for years

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

'His views are popular'

Looking at this thread you wouldn't think so!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Good question, are they still officially together as the Rubberbandits?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

The views on Boards.ie rarely mirror the “real world”, if they did we’d have Peter Casey for President.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Well if there was a thread about Love Island here, the majority would likely slate that too, but L.I. is still hugely popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

In the last post you said your dislike him because he profits from discussing mental health (see below) but in the post above you say you've no problem with making money or chsmpioning causes. Which I think demonstrates the point I made above about Boards posters dispising a man who speaks about men's mental health, pretty precisely. Even people who will say they're fine with promoting mental health in principle, will dispise the man who does it in practice.

You used the fact that he might profit from discussing mental health as the reason you dislike hi, but contradicted that reason in the very next post. The reason these men will give for disliking a man who discusses mental health doesn't really matter, as you demonstrated above.

I Knew that spastic was an insult but I didn't know it was a purley physical condition to do with muscle contractions. I used retard and spastic interchangeably as a young lad and I presumed they were both to do with intellectual disabilities.

You might have had a good grasp of the distinction between the meanings of retard and spastic, as a child, but I certainly didn't.

First time I googled the term spasticity was when I heard a politician use it on the news talking about his own son's condition. I was surprised because it never occurred to me that spastic was a medical term. It would be a bit like finding out that fag is a technical term. We threw that term around in my childhood, without any concern for who it might have hurt too.

Isn't that the funny thing about this thread? Doing wrong is fine, bit admitting to have don't wrong and being sorry about it, is the problem. Now that's interesting.

I think he's a prosthetics artist in TV and film.

• Advertisement

I listen to his podcast sometimes. I find it generally entertaining, but he doesn't half talk a load of misinformed nonsense. Like, anytime his rants stray into a topic I have a strong understanding of it tends to be mostly wrong. It makes me question the topics he covers that I don't know much about...

No.

Lying is wrong.

He wasn't a child when the song was released. He was a grown man with a good vocabulary. He knew what it meant.

He should have admitted he didn't give a **** because it was ok to use the word spastic as a joke back in the day.

Doing wrong is fine. Using a poxy excuse for your wrongdoing instead of owning it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Exactly what 'the dunne' said there, he wasn't a child when he wrote the song, he was in his mid twenties. All he had to do was own his own work and admit to it. Feigning excuses that he didn't know what he clearly did know, and then also blaming other members of his own community and locality that he now obviously feigningly 'champions' from time to time, just shows this person to be utterly false and totally disingenuous. Just like a modern politician. I used to listen to this guys podcast, was always interested on his take on the psychogeography and historical aspects of his locality and community, his views on music and artistic culture, but I quickly lost interest as soon as he brought in this new fandangled take on adding trendy righteous social justice aspects to nearly everything he was talking about. I could smell the angle straight away and I left it. Which was a shame because as I've said, the genuine things he was talking about, the psychogeography stories of Limerick and Irish history was very interesting and entertaining.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

Yeah I find thst an interesting approach - the "doing wrong is fine but..." approach.

Shows the appeal of someone like Donald trump. Some people prefer when someone never admits fault or backs down. You suggest you'd prefer if he "owned it", bit I doubt it. I think he committed the sin of admitting he thinks he was wrong. Like the men who talk about mental health, grand in principle but the ones who actually do it in practice are ridiculed and dispised. The reasons for ridiculing and despising them arent important and like the poster above demonstrated, they arent even consistent

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Show me exactly where I ridiculed and despised anybody up in my post there Duderino

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 5 BringBackDav

Blindboy is what stupid people think a smart person sounds like.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

It's HOW he admitted he was wrong. If he came out and said: "Look, I said some stupid sh*t, years ago. I thought it was funny but it's not and I shouldn't have said it" it would be a lot more credible and acceptable to most people than this nonsense of trying to claim he didn't know what it meant or what he was saying.

I'm looking forward to the apologies for all the other sh*t he said now!

We all knew the woke left would eat itself, it's interesting seeing it in action.

What the **** are you talking about?

Doing wrong is fine. People make mistakes. People's opinions change.

What is unacceptable is lying to cover up those mistakes rather than owning up to them.

He didn't admit he was wrong, he said he didn't know it was wrong. That was a lie.

And as for alluding that I despise or ridicule people for talking about mental health, you are talking out of your arse. I'm a huge mental health advocate. I do get irked when people use mental health as a get-out-of-jail-free card.

As usual, you are wildly wide of the mark with your assumptions.

What happened to the modernist motion of art as an escape from the ugliness of the world (inc. everyday politics), a fantasy space where no one in the audience gets hurt and (almost) anything goes? If art is no longer a free space where human beings can express themelves without the prescriptions and proscriptions of external social norms and politics shaping every artistic choice, then there is no future for absurdists and oddballs. No such thing as a blank canvas for the politically-minded. Maybe it's deliberate, but in surreal twist, SightDifferentMiddleAgedWhiteCisNormativeJuvenile's politics are of the type that kills surrealists.

Set yourself free, SightDifferentMiddleAgedWhiteCisNormativeJuvenile! All you have to lose are the chains of your ideologies, ya bleedin' dummy! 😂

His BBC show was great, I liked a good few of his podcasts. Started late so maybe listened through around 20 or so. I also liked his improv music whilst playing Cyberpunk and Red Dead.

Odd thread. A lot of hatred for whatever reason. Must not be happy with your own existence.

• Advertisement

I've seen that from a lot of his fans.

Apparently if you really don't like him, its definitely a fault in your character. It's nowt to do with the plastic bag wearing, pseudo intellectual, bandwagon jumping, lying tosspot.

I'm not sure I accused anyone in particular. I read the first few pages and the phenomenon I described is clear to see in those pages. I've no intention of reading back to see if your posts are amongst them or not.

Why did you think I was discussung you in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

He must have something new to shill and needs a bit of attention

What an absolute twat

Heres an example of what I alluded to above. Your reason for why he's wrong is spurious. The reasons for disliking him aren't important, they're post-hoc rationalisations.

Ill show you how if you like. He didn't say he didn't know it was wrong to use the word spastic (which you site as your reason), he said he didn't know the actual meaning of the word spastic was a specific disability instead of a general insult. Does it bother you at all that your reason for finding his behaviour "unacceptable" is false? I'd presume not but you might surprise me.

As I said very angry. It's ok if you can't admit it.

I feel that level of anger towards Priti Patel sometimes when she says stupid stuff like let's starve the Irish etc because she is in a position of power. However you are getting upset about some random lad playing computer games and spouting his thoughts on twitter.

It's very odd. You must spend a lot of time on the internet.

Yeah of course. And in reality, if he said that then the same posters would be expressing the same sentiment and saying "it would be fine if he's said xyz but instead [...] woke [...] and that's why he's wrong".

I doubt the people who are cross about BB would be any less cross if he'd used a different way to acknowledge his use of the word spastic was wrong and he's sorry for any harm it caused. Angry people gonna angry on the Internet. Such is life, I suppose. Interesting to watch though.

Liking or not liking his art is a matter of personal preference. Going on and on and on and on and on about him, is something additional. I dislike all kinds of artists, I never find myself 20 posts into a thread about them. You'd need to be fairly fascinated by a person to post that much about how much you dislike them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

He's hardly some "random lad". Under the Blindboy persona he's quite famous, released a hit single, has had considerable media exposure and has a large online following. Hes not Pol Pot but hes not beyond criticism either.

He said he didn't know the meaning of the word and that's why he used the word.

That suggests if he had known the meaning he wouldn't have used it, if he wouldn't have used it, it would he would have thought it was wrong.

Nothing I said was false.

Jesus, the lengths you will go to try and validate your non-points would be impressive if it wasn't so tedious.

• Advertisement

lol. Condescending reply.

I'm alright chief. I'm not angry. I just am commenting on a thread about a twat I don't like.

Advertisement