Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭baby fish

Will the HSE cover the cost of DEXCOM for all Type 1 diabetics ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,354 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Quick question on retina screening. they give you those eye drops that dilate your pupils before taking the images. As part of a normal eye test they take similar pictures of the back of the eye but they don't use the drops. how much of a difference is there between the images taken by the retina screening and the images taken as part of an eye test?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭banie01

AFAIK the dilation is used to ensure the entirety of the vascular retina is photographed. Its also why there are photos taken in different positions. The dilatated pupils are a diagnostic aid to ensure that the maximum area possible is assessed and any retinopathy is caught before it becomes a problem and that intervention can be made as early as possible.

The digital retina photography offered by your friendly local optician is not a diagnostic or screening tool. It is useful only in if there is an immediately apparent problem or bleed. The screening programme will alert to incipient retinopathy and forward any for review and if needed additional screening, the optician based one will tell perhaps to see your GP if they spot something.

As an aside, I have incipient retinopathy in both eyes. DRS picked it up and referred my to local opthamology clinic who assessed me, monitored it for 18months and confirmed no progression. In the time I was 1st flagged and eventually discharged back to DRS? I had 3 eye tests with the photography none of those photos flagged an issue.

I would not rely upon an Optician to manage or assess my retinopathy risk.

I would never rely on the opticians to manage my retinopathy risk. I don't see them often enough for a start. Thank you for the explanation. I received the date for my next screening this morning so I was just curious.

Glad it helped. The drops can mean a half a day wasted but worth it for the chance of heading off something worse and far longer lasting. Good luck at your screening!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

Monster thread so probably missed posts but I've just been diagnosed with type2 (mid 40's male)

GP put me on Metformin and looking to send me for scans on pancreas as I don't fit the profile seemingly! (no symptoms of pancreatitis either)

They said I should start feeling better soon when the medicine kicks in, but to be honest I've been feeling fine all the time so not sure what change I should be expecting!

Anyone else in the same boat? Any advice or tips

Had some conflicting advice from GP saying no sugar in tea/coffee and definitely no artificial sweetener... then gave me a booklet and said to stick to it rigidly ... but that states that artificial sweetener is fine as a sugar replacement!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Diagnosed 2 years ago with Type 2. Struggling to lose weight for a few years despite cutting everything back. Went a nutritionist, no change. When the Type 2 was diagnosed GP referred me to an endocrinologist. Started on Metformin, then Synjardy as nothing was bring down the blood glucose level. All his usual advise was wasted on me - I already walk 20-30km a week, play tennis 2/3 times per week. Relatively healthy eating, very little salt, low fat milk ,butter, etc. Hardly drink any more.

I seemed to tick a lot of boxes for Cushing's disease/Syndrome, but the HbA1c level wasn't high enough for it. 2 biggest problems I have are irritability and fatigue.

The fatigue is brutal, scary how fast I can just run out of energy, I have woken up at times over my lunch.........Stress is the big problem, it drains the energy levels like crazy. I've started meditation and yoga to try and relax more. Also, a good night's sleep is critical, broken sleep plays havoc with everything for days. Absolutely cannot build stamina no matter what I do.

Endo put me onto the Ozempic pen once weekly early this year, with Janumet and I have lost about 5/6 kilos since. I have to go back to him in a couple of weeks and we'll see what's next.

Join up at Diabetes.ie and start organising appointments for retinal myopathy and have your limbs checked for lack of feeling. I've lost all feeling in my right leg for the last 12 months and its not pleasant. You have to be very careful not to get scratched or cut in case they get infected.

I felt fine too, I was shown to be pre-diabetic in routine blood tests. I tried to bring it down without tablets first, and probably wasted time that way, as there was nothing really to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

My HbA1c was through the roof when tested but similar to yourself, since the pandemic hit I've been exercising more than ever so in reasonable good health.

Tired a lot but always put that down to working long hours in a stressful job and having very active kids. Not to the point of dozing off though. Wife says I'm grouchy all the time so at least now I might try to blame that on the diabetes ;-)

Apart from that everything else felt fine so be interesting to see how this tables improve things!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

Diabetes general who is going to read 155 pages long thread?

Research into ketogenic diet and IF thats only think will help in a long run.

• Advertisement

That is fine just bear in mind that test carry red label warning. So you know.

Red label warning on medications serious safety risks. Very small percentage of people could end up in the hospital, encounter disability or die.

Before the procedure they will ask you to sign documents make sure you read and understand the consequences.

they take a picture of the back of your eye. My optician does them now as part of a regular eye exam. I'm happy to live with whatever risks that brings. Certainly a lot less risk than not getting checked and losing my eyesight.

When you go to retinology centre for retina exam you will be given injection that have red label warning. Your regular optician won't have any of that.

This is nothing to do with regular eye exams at the local optician.

There is no injection, there are eyedrops to dilate the pupil.

There is a warning and advice sheet linked below.

Post edited by banie01 on

there is no injection prior to a retinopathy exam. There are eye drops to dilate the pupils but that is it. I'm struggling to think what they might need to inject you with.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For the photos of the back of your eye? Never been asked to sign anything before that test or before they put the drops in your eyes.

Where is the risk of death from the test, other than maybe getting run over by a bus on the way back home because your eyes are dilated and it's a sunny day so your are walking along with your eyes closed as it's way too bright out.

there is a small questionnaire beforehand but that is it. I always being sunglasses with me so I have some vision on the way home

Well next time you go to retinopathy exam read paperwork before signing up.

I am not allow to share that online but I am sure you will find sentences where it says about.

• Advertisement

The paperwork is linked in my post.

You've gone from there being an injection, (there isn't) to not being allowed to share something online?

What are you not allowed share? You have enough posts for linking privileges? You can post whatever link you'd like

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

In the UK they don't give me any paperwork, just ask my name and date of birth, ask if allergic to anything, ask how you are getting home to make sure you are not driving, get you to read a couple of lines of a letter chart with each eye, pop drops in the eyes, leave you sat in waiting area for a bit, flash a bright light at your eyes and send you on your way.

Don't recall it being vastly different sequence of events when in Ireland or having any paperwork to fill in but that could just be my poor memory, although they sometimes offered some drops afterwards that were meant to counteract the first drops but they never seemed to actually work.

you're talking nonsense and hiding behind some sort of privacy when called out. you should be threadbanned for spreading misinformation.

the same procedure in Ireland. Never been offered the drops afterwards mind.

Well I am not argue all I said check paperwork, questionary or whatever you are signing for retinopathy test. Make sure you understand what it says in a small or large print. Anyway good luck.

you mentioned there was an injection beforehand. this is a lie.

But that's not all you said. You waded in to a thread, threw out utter bullshit as a contribution and then rather than back up said bullshit? Make the above mealy mouthed post? Any more input on those injections? Or the things you aren't left share online?

People who find this thread are often a little shook after a diagnosis and are looking for help, advice and reassurance. Not utter scutter that is designed to frighten them, or poorly informed BS with no actual basis in reality of treatment.

Yet you spout off and then decide to leave it at "make sure you understand what it says in a small or large print"?

Usually I ignore this kind of posts. next time you go to your retina test take pictures of the "questionnaire" you signing and read at home if you shy reading beforehand.

And yes all I said is that what you get in retinology center have red label warning its clearly mentioning in the so called "questionnaire".

I am not here to prove or disprove anything all I am saying read before you sign !

P.S. Some people get drops some injections.

there is no injection. unless you can post proof to the contrary you are lying.

• Advertisement

This is an NHS video on what is involved in Retina Screening. The process in ireland is identical. Note carefully the complete lack of injections at any stage.

Advertisement