Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boosters

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Across the pond the CDC has suggested a booster after 8 months. The Biden administration plans to fund a booster rollout beginning September 2021.

Yeah, boosters have already begun in Israel and looks like the UK soon also. So a small number of countries going against the advice of the WHO so far. But is it the right direction to go in or not? From what I can see the Who have a very strong argument.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The Biden administration has been criticized by WHO for proceeding with planned booster rollout September for the USA. Then again it is planned, and reported to be rolling out that Biden has been distributing over one billion doses worldwide free. Do not know of any other country that comes near to this massive commitment.

At the end of the day harms have been much greater in developed countries were there is significantly more older persons.

Africa who have much deal with many more health threats than the west have been more resiliant?

Developed nations can afford them and it will save many lives in developed nations?

WHO have been utterly useless throughout?

Most have stopped listening to them from spring 2020?

They are not going to get us or the world out of this.

Just ignore them and do the best for your country while also trying to give vaccines were possible.

Increasing production should also be a thing that should be focused on.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

Why blame governments and WHO?

Shouldnt the pharmaceutical giants be doing the right thing here and show a bit of moral obligation?

They make the bloody stuff and can dictate as they please

What happened to leave no man behind ? For rich or poorer

Getting a single jab of beautiful protection into everyone’s arm instead of getting 3 jabs into the fat old people in the rich countries ain’t morally right

The silence from them and there beautiful scientists is sickening

Everyman for himself like Woody is suggesting is heartless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Don't attack me..... BUT!!!!!

This is turning into a Flu Shot at this stage.

Is this really a vaccine or something like a flu shot that you have to get each year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭Jizique

Hope you aren't trying to suggest that Covid will turn out to be just another respiratory disease along the lines of the flu 😂

i guess the medics really haven't a clue and seem to be making it up as they go along and the politicians are afraid to say anything, and even in England, they are completely ignoring it at this stage, despite still elevated numbers - will be interesting to see what happens when schools and offices reopen there, as the young are certainly not getting any vax over there as they don't have the supply

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭brickster69

Surely to God it must be about time for some company to bite the bullet and make a vaccine on a non profit basis and license it's production around the globe. Could you imagine how many lives it could save ?

All roads lead to Rome.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭godzilla1989

In a non clown world that would have happened months ago and this pandemic would be over

Where there’s a will, there’s a way

Coca Cola produce 100 million bottles of poison a day 🤣

You’d think something that saves our lives would be easy.

Instead we have an artificial demand situation from glorified drug dealers, who we call pharmaceutical giants and they’ve invented a life saving medication that has a 6 month shelf life and in low volume

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There is no such thing as a "non profit basis". Everyone with a job makes a profit, every supplier in the chain makes a margin. Cutting those margins will not increase supply, that's economic illiteracy.

The profits are what drives production.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

And ensure that company had plenty of existing capacity to make vaccines first of course rather than just any old non-vaccine company going in and promising the sun moon and stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I've spoken to a few people who were delighted to get their jab but are a bit iffy about getting boosters. I read earlier the CEO of Pfizer saying a new variant will eventually turn up that their vaccine won't work against but they'll be able to develop a new jab to combat that within 3 months. How many jabs will we need? I'll be happy to grab a booster but I can also understand people being a bit uncomfortable about multiple jabs of vaccines every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Same I've spoken to a lot of people who won't get a booster including myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

I'm one of those. I happily got my 2 doses but the side effects hit me hard. First dose i was like a zombie for a few days, no big deal. Second dose i had chest pains which made me worry. It cleared up after a few days but it does make me a little hesitant to get a booster (even though i probably will)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭airy fairy

A new flu vaccine is developed every winter, so taking a vaccine for COVID-19 will be much the same eventually. We just need to be able to extend the efficacy of them before we can get it yearly. Until then I guess we'll have to take the boosters, or not.

A lot of the issues in third world countries haven't been just primarily supply, there's a lot of hesitancy too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

You're dead right but I think the main difference is we don't vaccinate the whole population every year with the flu jab only certain people. People in their 20,s 30,40s aren't used to yearly jabs and a lot just won't bother which might end up being a problem. If this ends up being a yearly thing vax rates will fall off a cliff at some stage as some people will just get fed up of heading to the GP annually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

We could do with a morale booster, like this crap just fooking off for good! could be just wishful thinking, but didn’t the Spanish Flu taper off?

Yes, Spanish flu just evolved into the flus we have now as far as I know.

Covid will also fook off. It'll still be around but eventually similar to measles and the like. Everyone will get vaccinated like now, and eventually it should become weakened with infections both in the vaccinated and unvaccinated. I would assume that once we have some sort of grip, a long term vaccine will be developed, something that can give us longer efficacy along with a virus that's less potent.

For the moment though I think a lot of people will still keep up the boosters for as long as Covid is killing. I never took the flu vaccine until last winter, nor did the family. Social distancing and masks helped, but it was the first Christmas there wasn't snots or sore throats in the house! So I'll be keeping that vaccine up, and maybe mask wearing during packed Christmas shop time!

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭bridest

I've been warned medically about over stimulating my immune system with top up boosters. Think I'll wait

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Username2017

Biden on stage.

• Advertisement

That they used a picture of how a trump supporter looks today to make it, is hilarious.

Warned? Has there been research that boosters are over stimulating immune systems already?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Pauliedragon wrote

If this ends up being a yearly thing vax rates will fall off a cliff at some stage as some people will just get fed up of heading to the GP annually.

Pharmacists will probably do a fair amount. Also...

https://www.imt.ie/news/healthy-ireland-survey-shows-gp-visits-last-year-25-11-2019/

More than 40 per cent of those 12 to 17 year old had attended a GP in the previous 12 months, an average of 2.8 visits...More than 60 per cent of those aged between 15 and 24 had visited a GP during this time, and had an average of 3.1 visits.

But you did say "some people", so I can't necessarily disagree with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

A vaccine that needs a booster after around 6 months is not a vaccine.

I know it’s been rough tbh , the economy is destroyed, cartel flooding through the boarder snatching children on their way , businesses are shutting down , everywhere is hiring but nobody wants to work , staying home feeding off the government Is much more appealing to Biden supporters. But hey we have a female Vice President and the mean tweeter is gone so who cares 🥳

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know this may come as a shock to some Irish people, but this is not America and we are not Americans, so who the hell is this "we" business?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,982 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

In my mind, and I'm sure many others, a vaccine is something that provides good immunity against a particular disease for a reasonable period of time. I don't consider 6 months as a reasonable period of time.

• Advertisement

I don't think COVID boosters will be needed that often (i.e. 6 months) for most people, but have you got vaccines for travelling internationally before? Boosters are very common there and each vaccine has a period of protection and booster follow-up schedule.

Advertisement