Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blindboy cancels himself.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ah, that's the way on Boards. The angry people get worked up about someone who admits their failings. The same posters would probably like him more if he pretended he was never wrong. The kind of people who might acknowledge the importance of mental health will despise any man who actually talks about it.

I'm similar to you in that I knew little about him before the podcast. I find the podcast interesting. I don't have to agree with everything he says to find them interesting. Some are better than others, but that's the way with podcasts in general. I

Isn't this exactly what BB said? The way gay was used complete out of context is similar to how spastic was used out of context, except gay has a well established meaning as a synonym for homosexual. I'm not sure when I learned spasticity was specifically the proper name for a disorder of muscles tightening and contracting. Anyone with any kind of disorder, physical or mental, or someone who did something unusual or made a mistake, said something incorrect, was liable to be called a spastic. I knew it was a disorder but I though it was an intellectual disability for years. I knew it was an insult, but I didn't know its accurate meaning for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't dislike him because he talks about mental health, it's because he profits from it.

That and his pseudo intellectualism.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Why does mental health have to be non-profit?

So If someone makes money, they can't talk about mental health in case it boosts their profile and leads to profit? That's a bit wild, wouldn't you say?

So, should someone take a vow of poverty before talking about mental health?

If you spend time on Boards you'll see that they absolutely dispise a man who actually talks about mental health.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

When you see someone constantly riding the wave of a social issue, or an illness, theyre generally fresh out of actual talent.

Which may be ok for a niche audience. But when they try to break into the mainstream by the backdoor it just makes me want to watch them fail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sure he is. Why? Because you say so?

You can't countenance the fact that the evidence of his podcast success speaks for itself.

I'm laughing here at the multuiculturalism is a bad thing/Greta should shut up/footballers shouldn't be kneeling people hate a guy confident enough to do what he does the way that he does. Way too free spirited for many stuck in the last century.

I've no issue with people making money, or championing causes. What I do have a problem with us people using causes to get exposure for themselves and profiting from that. It's profiting from misery.

The country is full of celebrity charlatans using suffering to promote themselves and advance their careers.

Confident enough to write with a straight face that at age approx. 22, with a university education behind him that he didn't know that "spastic" was a derogatory slur against people with disabilities?

That's not free spiritedness, that's rather ironically, more like gaslighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

You also didn’t become a wokesperson for mental health nor any of the rest of it off the back of years spent ripping the piss out of the very people and causes you’re now championing! It’s a bit like anyone claiming Rachel Dolezal is above criticism for all she does for black people.

I did give a listen to his latest podcast there just for the hell of it, and I managed about half an hour before “your mouth is now your ear”… it was just too much. The chap is obviously high on his own supply.

And he’s still putting on that fake accent and appropriating experiences which aren’t his, to portray a narrative which is simply put - a misleading caricature of a life he hasn’t lived, in a persona he created. There’s no question of his popularity among people who just don’t know any better, and that wasn’t the issue on this particular occasion either.

The issue on this particular occasion is that again he doesn’t actually take any responsibility for his own behaviour, but rather tries to suggest it was due to his upbringing in Limerick (at least the upbringing he wants people to believe he had anyway, much like Rachel Dolezal).

These nasty kind of comments always remind me of -

‘there’s something about that person that I really dislike about myself’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

An acquaintance of mine thinks he's a god and she has her pronouns in her LinkedIn name. Like "Mary Bukkake (she/her)".

Fucking clown.

Lol.

I hate his confidence? Where did I say that? I hate that he's a hypocritical, sanctimonious prick who will change his views and morals to suit whatever he feels will benefit him and his desire to be popular and seem superior.

Again, I can see why you like him

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

His excuse really shows the level of his dishonesty.

He could have just said "I regret using those words, because since then I've met people with disabilities and I understand now how the song is hurtful to them. I didn't understand that in the past, but we all make mistakes and grow, and I hope I continue to improve as a person and become someone I can be proud of"

However even that's dishonest, as we all know no one with a disability finds that song offensive. The only people who find it offensive are scummy woke people and he's apologising to them for being pretend-offended. He's fully aware of this.

So he pretends he didn't know what spa means.

If he's incredibly dishonest about something like this, what else is he dishonest about? Probably everything.

That's exactly it.

If he had come out and said

"**** lads, I said some edgy **** in the past, but that was the humour at the time and we were comedians. I wouldn't get away it in now and it's embarrassing that it's easily available to see how much I've done a 180"

I'd still think he was an idiot but at least somewhat of an honest one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭elefant

Jeez, a lot of the criticism here is very personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭3DataModem

He has created some wonderful things, but has absolutely evolved into "spent / uninteresting" in the same way as Russell Brand. Never mistake a vocabulary for having something to say.

It is fitting now that he has come out and admitted that he uses words which he doesn't know the definition of.

I've thought that of him for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I've tried to put my finger on what boils my piss about BB so much. I liked the rubberbandits a lot. I have no real issue with the wokies either, though I think theirs is a daft dogma.

So what is it?

Well firstly is BB a caricature or a real person? Clearly he's a caricature, an outrageous over the top character who is (or was at least) pretty funny.

But then, when it comes to 'being all serious' he stays in character. This is akin to Mrs Merton, Agnes Browne, Alan Partridge, Edmund Blackadder being interviewed and talking seriously about needing equality and mental health issues. 

Getting weird, but OK, fair enough, let's roll with it and see where it goes.

"Is she a big fat slag or a big fat ride... oh my god I can't decide.... there's no way I'm riding you, unless I'm wrecked on bags of glue"

Amusing lyrics eh?

The same character who wrote them also came on live TV and, without a hint of irony told me, as an Irish man, that I 'need feminism', almost wagging his fuking finger down the camera lens.

Fcuk right off.

It is about a person and about his portrayal of his public persona.

Not sure what you expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,789 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This is a really nasty little thread. With really nasty people on it.

Just overall nastyness level rating 10/10

The folks going out of their way to be ultra nasty no doubt are gods gift to planet Ireland. An absolute model of humanity. All bow before them and bask in their glory as they do in their own reflections.

• Advertisement

Yeah I mean it's pure down right annoyance that people don't act like they did in their teenage years and their twenties all the way into adulthood in their 30s and 40s.

The fact people change throughout their life really boils my piss.

Why can't we all just be the same always until the end of time and never evolve

Anger fever . Grrr

What are you talking about?

Calling this idiot out for his hypocrisy is not nasty.

What IS nasty is this guy pretending to be some paragon of virtue while having a history of making his career as a foul mouthed, misogynistic, "body shaming", drug glorifying, bigoted comedian/musician.

Nobody has claimed to be morally superior, but they have pointed out that the person in question has now switched tactics and is now some sort of all knowing mental health and feminist guru.

But yet you think such valid criticism is nasty???

Is it because you like his current persona?

God's gift to planet Ireland, a model of humanity - sounds just like blindboys opinion of himself.

That's a spectacularly bad read of what I said.

People can and do change.

I'm wildly different from who I was when I was younger.

His lazy and dishonest reasoning about not understanding what spastic means is my issue.

I get it, people don't like being called nasty at all. But when you make personal nasty comments about someone you never met or don't know then it makes you a nasty person.

It's not my role to make you live with how you are acting. Be comfortable lean into how you are acting and see where it takes you.

Really horrible thread with no point to it

It's not the fact that people change that annoys me, it's the fact that I am being un-ironically preached to by a caricature, who I am meant to treat as a fat-woman slagging, glue huffing, piebald horse riding outrageous pisstake one minute yet take all seriously about my lack of feminism the next.

Also his book is called 'The Gospel According to Blindboy'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,237 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Ya but do not come back 10 years later andd say you did not know the meaning of the word spastic. The politically correct brigade would have hung him out to dry if he was of more middle of the road or to the right politically.

Just because he blind boy he gets a free ride on the horse outside.

I really enjoyed those satirical songs but he should have apologized for using the word without saying he did not know the meaning

Slava Ukrainii

You've just explained an example of change and evolvement.

Even characters can evolve and change , if that has to be explained to you then... I don't know what.

Aside none of this takes away from the utter personal vitriol doled out on this 'thread' . Jesus people live with this stuff inside them . Why ...

• Advertisement

Wow you're really not getting this. I have no issue with change - it is normal and to be expected. I just find it incredibly annoying that someone would shamelessly present themselves as a champion of virtue, encouraging others to follow in their virtuous path in life, while having a back catalogue like that.

Once again Listermint, for clarity, I have no issue with people, or made-up characters changing.

Advertisement