Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insert stove instead of freestanding

Options
  • 24-08-2021 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi,

Our house was built with provision for a free-standing stove, with the chimney pipe coming out from the wall. At the time we didn't want to install so it was blocked up.

5 years later we want to install a stove but would prefer a inset type to avoid taking up for space with a free standing stove - we also prefer the look.

Can an inset drive be retrofitted into the chimney breast that wasn't designed for it? i.e. cut out the hole to take it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

We installed a Henley inset /casette type stove when renovating and I had to give the builder a downloaded copy of the manual as he needed to ensure the new chimney and opening were correct. I suppose the only challenge you may face is depth of the opening - will it take an inset stove?

Major advantage of this type of stove is that it does not impact the airtightness of the house. Our stove takes an air supply from outside the house, basically a pipe runs under the cement floor to a vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭ec_pc

Apologies for double post, Boards bug.

Advertisement