Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snooker Season 2021/22

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,806 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Honestly, that was one of the worst snooker tournaments I've ever seen. Williams was muck and still won.

Hopefully the next one is better.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Michael Judge and Jamie O'Neill are playing now in the NI qualifier.

Today's schedule here. No particularly juicy matches, i think.

Live snooker scores - British Open 2021 snooker results, livescore (flashscore.co.uk)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I see in the list of disciplinary procedures from last season, Jamie O'Neill has over 25% of the cases. Was a guy with lots of talent once, probably no need to wonder why never fulfilled. Good chance for Mick to get a win this morning, collect his first cheque of the season.

https://wst.tv/wpbsa-disciplinary-outcomes-2020-21/

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭mrunsure

The website refers to TV coverage specifically for the qualifiers:

My friend in the US can pick up the coverage on matchroom.live, but that is blocked in Europe because we have (or are supposed to have) coverage on the Eurosport app.

You're right enough but i think the Eurosport coverage applies to continental Europe. I think we have British Eurosport here, which doesn't have it.

The link you have shows the coverage for Europe, but other ones that are shown in the UK have a separate column for the UK (and Ireland presumably)

• Advertisement

Even though Ireland doesn't have a separate linear Eurosport channel to the UK, Eurosport made special provision for Ireland to get the British Open through the Eurosport Player and Eurosport App, because Eurosport had the European (excluding UK) rights to the British Open. You can see all the matches from the British Open in the On Demand section if you are an Irish subscriber. UK subscribers won't have this.

It would be weird for there to be no NI Open qualifier coverage in the main snooker watching countries in Europe (i.e. the UK and Ireland) but have coverage everywhere else in Europe, especially given the matches are being played in one of those countries!

My 2 favourite sports to play abs watch are snooker and cycling( I’m not sure you play cycling though), so I watch an awful lot of Eurosport. It constantly amazes me how poor their decision making can be.

i won’t give them a hard time though, they really do a great job

they/them/theirs

Quite a few people are complaining about the lack of Eurosport coverage

https://twitter.com/WeAreWST/status/1429730944613863431

WST have changed the website so it doesn't show Eurosport coverage any more.

No luck for Michael unfortunately, goes down 2-4. Couple of bad misses in the last, nothing now but to hit the practice table hard and look forward to English open in 3 weeks.

• Advertisement

Fergal O'Brien up next against Zhang Anda. Hasn't started yet

Well done Fergal, 3 frames on the bounce to win 4-2 and book his ticket for Belfast where he'll face James Cahill.

Joe Perry playing his afternoon vs Oliver Lines.

Aaron Hill playing in the morning at 9 against Andy Hicks.

Ken is playing Martin Gould tomorrow night. It's a pity as I would usually want both of those to win. Martin Gould is surprisingly far up the rankings in 23rd. He would be strong favourite for that one.

Ken has really fallen down the order. He's ranked 73 on 28,500 points but he's miles off 64th which is 68,000 points. I see even Simon Lichtenberg has overtaken Ken. I remember seeing him play a few times over the last couple of years and thinking he was going nowhere.

Hopefully Ken can hit a bit of form. He always comes across like he's enjoying life on commentary and analysis, so it's not all about the results on the table for him.

Goes to show you, early last year Gould was on the verge of quitting, found a new lease of life during lockdown and results started to come his way and now in a place he could challenge to be top 16 again. Would love to see it as he's a top bloke and great potter when he's on song.

As for Ken, bit disappointed with the defeat to Joe O'Connor last week but, all in all, he seems to be working hard on his game and in ok shape. The rankings are a bit skewed as in both him and Fergal went back to 0 last season as they were both effectively on wild cards. That just means they're defending no points this season unlike players ahead of them, so the gap will inevitably narrow as the season progresses.

Hard to be precise, but last season the 64 ranked player finished on 68k so somewhere thereabouts would be the magic figure. In other words, Ken and Fergal would be looking to win 40k+ more in ranking events to be in line to keep the card. If they played 15 events, that's just short of an average 3k per tournament. Doesn't sound much, but you have to win a match to earn ranking points so getting on a bad run will set you back.

Think we have to remember Ken is 51 now, Fergal is hitting the half century soon, they've both given us great service and enjoyment over the years and owe us nothing. I think it's great to see them still both competing and wouldn't bet against either being in the right place come business end of the season!

Draw is available for English Open. Nothing immediately eye catching, but not brilliant for Aaron Hill to draw Yan Bingtao, which will be held over to November so, if Aaron loses tomorrow, that would be over 2 months of no match play at all, which is not an appealing prospect!

Elsewhere, Fergal v Ukrainian kid Iulian Boiko, Ken v Sunny Akani and Mick Judge v Ricky Walden. Ken and Mick would square off in November if they both win their qualifiers which would be something to look forward to.

Some of the pots Andy Hicks is missing here, you wouldn't see on a club table, but gets a big fluke to level it 2-2. Aaron needs to be winning this, getting enough chances.

Not to be, very disappointed for him. No rematch with Ronnie and no more match play snooker for 10 weeks. Time to try and figure things out i guess, maybe how to relax more in these matches and put less pressure on himself. Easier said than done, though.

No joy for Ken in a tight enough contest. Gould finished with a ton but other frames wère all pretty tight, Ken had his chances but not to be.

Poor result for Jimmy White. lost 4-0 to David Grace. And that's the end of the NI qualifiers.

Turkish and British open qualifiers mid way through next month. followed by the Scottish open qualifiers. No tournaments next month at all.

David Hendon said on the Snooker Scene podcast that ITV4 got good viewing figures for the British Open, so the general public didn't mind the short format.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,298 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

September is disappointingly sparse alright.

Looking at the 2019/20 calendar it seems September is very much a China month, with two biggies (Shanghai Masters & China Championship) and a novelty (6-reds). 2019–20 snooker season - Wikipedia

Presumably post pandemic those tournaments will be back on the schedule. So it's not easy to convince someone in the UK to host/sponsor/promote an event this month when it's likely to be just a once-off.

Turkish masters event was supposed to be this month as well, i think, but got shifted to early next year cos of travel issues and the fires. Not sure where it's position will be once things are restored to normal.

Peter Lines has been accused of abusing and then inviting Xiao Guodong for a fight.

Bit bizarre but we'll see what comes of it. Wonder what Peter's side of the story is.

Dunno what happened afterwards, if ref witnessed it as Xiao appears to indicate then his account would be very relevant, but Lines was apparently fuming about an earlier incident when the ref failed to replace the white in the proper spot after a foul and he obviously felt his opponent was taking advantage in not correcting him. Xiao left him on to win the frame next shot regardless.

they/them/theirs

I see in draw for German Masters Aaron has got Anthony Hamilton which is tough enough but winner faces Judd, assuming he beats Tian Pengfei.

First 3 open events and Aaron's got Ronnie, Yan Bingtao and Judd either 1st or 2nd round. Luck just not going his way when he really needs it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Trump v Selby

Evans v Allen

and now Lines v Guodong.

This season is hotting up nicely, could be some tasty encounters with all this rivalry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Snooker before September/October never feels fully right to me.

The new season is a bit more spaced out it seems from the new Belfast date to Christmas. Players may grumble, but little to complain about I think. I has to have helped some lower ranked players to have their one qualifier for Belfast in England, instead of having them travel over and risk losing a last 128 match and no prize money.

Last year the run of events seemed to be that little more bunched up and that was obviously an exceptional time in Milton Keynes.

Given the overall trend of formats being shortened, i always get a little bit irked when I hear players or commentators coming out with this stuff. Robbo seems to be accepting he just can't handle the pressures and demands of the worlds format, that doesn't make it "stale" and "dated", as he suggests. Seems to have forgotten too that arguably the greatest day ever of snooker came over the longer format at the crucible just a little over 12 months ago. I find it bonkers that anyone would be proposing to mess with that, guess robbo would just say I'm old school and out of touch!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Yeah, leave Sheffield alone.

Advertisement