Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ban the Poppy

Options
  • 21-08-2021 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭

We're getting near that time of year, where our political correctness leaps into accepting the poppy.

It's a symbol which has lost any neutral stance since the blanket amnesty for crimes by British soldiers in Northern Ireland.

I now see it as a provocative and divisive icon for English nationalists.

I don't think it should be allowed in Ireland.

Am I being too sensitive about it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I have never seen a poppy in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭Allinall

Yes.

if you see it as provocative and divisive, you need to look inwards.

people don’t wear the poppy with you in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

no thanks - its ok

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Easter Eggs going on sale in January, Christmas decorations in October, people starting poppy threads in August.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

I had expected this to be about drugs. Phew

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i've never seen one or felt compelled to wear or not wear, all i know is they make deeeeeeeelicious heroin

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

Go to the fields of Normandy and south Belgium. Visit the cemeteries, read the names of the fallen. Notice the many Irish names. They are the names of our great grandfathers and great uncles. They are men who left young families behind with the hope of making a better life for them. They ended up making the ultimate sacrifice.

So maybe get over yourself and leave people commemorate their family member the way they wish to.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Ramasun

• Registered Users Posts: 81,623 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Why has it been years since I had a poppy seed muffin. They’re delicious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

No problem with anyone celebrating their dead or commemorating those who they see as achieving for them.

As long as they don't do it to taunt wear what ever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,804 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

the country is a democratic republic. So no, banning something on the basis of you not liking it, being offended by it... isn’t democratic behavior... and not in keeping with the constitution or values of our democracy, a person should have the ability to do as they wish within the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Banning the poppy makes a mockery of any efforts towards assuring the Unionist community and even those who served in the UK forces from down south that we are paying anything other than lipservice to the GFA.

Parity of esteem, we don't have to like the poppy, we don't have to wear it and to be honest we don't have to pay it any heed.

What we do need to do, IMO at least is work on finding a way for both sides to commemorate without confrontation or diminishment of the other. Marching season for example. What's important? Having a march with your fellow Orangemen and marching in front of your community? Or behaving like bigots and taking your march down traditional Nationalist areas to antagonise? And vice versa.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,367 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

Couldn't care less about someone choosing to wear a poppy, I don't even care if they wear a poppy to taunt (which I'd say is incredibly uncommon, even in the North where that sort of taunting is more common). I'm not a big fan of enforced poppy wearing, and absolutely condemn those receiving abuse for choosing not to wear a poppy.

As with every year, much ado about nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭blackbox

In the interest of being non provocative, would the OP also like to ban the Easter lily?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,400 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Its been a very long time since the poppy commemoration was about the places you've mentioned.

In recent years it has been all about 'our boys' in Afghanistan showing the flag. I expect the poppy commemoration to be very muted this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,674 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My father served in WW2 and helped ensure that you don't currently speak German. A great unkle died at the ripe old age of 19 in WW1, and is burried on Lemnos in Greece. Incidents in Northern Ireland just don't matter in the scheme of things, as I see them - not even seedlings, let alone small potatoes.

Go there and see for yourself. Your opinion might change.

People should be allowed to wear a poppy if they wish. They should not have to give it up. However people should not be under pressure to wear one if they don’t wish to. Come November any footballer or person on tv will be called out if they don’t wear one. I believe this is totally wrong too.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I don't have any time for it, and I've nothing but disrespect for anyone who chooses to wear one. And even less respect for any Irish person who wears one because they were told to by the BBC. But no, anyone who wants to wear one - especially in Ireland - should be encouraged to do so. It's a good way of spotting a dickhead before they open their mouth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

What do you want to discuss? Political correctness in Ireland, Northern Ireland, English nationalism - or your concern about being overly sensitive?

You’re a very sad man Burt if you use the wearing of a poppy as a means to judge someone’s character. Says more about you than them to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I'm very happy, actually. Wearing a poppy in this country is a very deliberate political statement, whether you like it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

You will find the person wearing it wants nothing to do with a political statement

The person shouting about it wants to make it a political statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,623 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hate the war, not the soldier. The British state exploits its poor, people fresh out of orphanages with few options in life, people with low intelligence (I don't mean this in a bad way, not this time anyway), to put their armies together. Sure, a few aristocratic types like to get involved, but in general most of the British Armed forces are to be pitied rather than hated.

Also, to paraphrase Tony Benn, Don't the British mourn their dead too? Of course they do. Let them mourn.

Most of the people that wear poppies aren't celebrating the British State, they are remembering family members.

And finally, read the accounts of young British soldiers sent to Ireland during 1916. Some of them thought they were headed to France. These people were treated like cannon fodder (even if they were better off in Dublin).

Until you have to choose between survival and putting a uniform on to fight for some militaristic gimp of a politician that promises a pay check when few others will, I think it's a harsh judgment to condemn them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Re OP - yes, you're being too sensitive. If it doesn't relate to you, then ignore it, none of your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭firemansam4

The thing is in Ireland we have a good understanding of how the british military has carried out many brutal atrocities on this Island. To wear a poppy is to commemorate members of all the armed forces of the UK, which includes any members involved in said atrocities.

I would certainly understand why any Irish person would refuse to wear a poppy.

On the other hand in England, the population don't really seem to know, or don't really want to know about the ill deeds of their milatary forces. The British public look up to their milatary as heroes, especially when thinking about events such as WW2.

So when it comes to anyone refusing to wear a poppy they just look at it as the ultimate insult to the heroes who lost their lives fighting for freedom during WW2. They dont really get or understand what brutal atrocities the British armed forces have carried out against the people of Ireland.

I wont judge anyone for wearing a poppy, as im sure they have their own reasons, just as no one should judge anyone for not wanting to wear a poppy.

The British public look up to their milatary as heroes

The British public pay lip service to the military and military vets in particular, IMO. A lot of the British public look down on military types; it's snob thing.

A lot of the poppy wearing and speaking well of the military in Britain is Pavlov Dog-level behaviour, achieved through years of training via media consumption, a bit like the breathless, equally Pavlovian, American 'Thank you for your service.' (A tiny fraction of U.S. service members ever see combat. It would be more accurate in most cases to say something more like: 'Thank you for flying to Iraq, where you spent most of your awake time peeling spuds and playing pool.' :D ) If the British public love their military so much, why are so many vets homeless or living in dire circumstances?

Agree with your post though, esp. the last line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

So did I especially since I read last night the Taliban are supposedly banning the cultivation of the poppy plant in Afghanistan.

Advertisement