Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female TD's break silence on harassment

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,519 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Really? Your posts in this thread this afternoon have been aimed at other posters rather than discussing the topic at hand. Time to cop on, or don't post

• Registered Users Posts: 21,522 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That's a cop out. In order to block someone, you have to read/view whatever content they sent before doing so.

It's tantamount to telling someone receiving physical abuse to toughen up. Even your comment about Hazel Chu suggests that she actually enjoys being targeted in various ways. Many of which are very insensitive and way beyond fair criticism of a public figure.

If it was your wife, daughter, mother or whatever receiving constant messages, would you call them attention seekers for trying to speak up about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,001 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I'm not going to reply no because you have already preemptively decided that examples you ask for are dismissable. As I said its disingenuous.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Yes. Male politicians do not get rape threats etc

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Did anyone (even the OP) even read the feckin article?

These female TD's weren't harassed or sexually threatened because of their politics, or because they were politicians, they were harassed because they are women (so far as I can tell from the article anyway)

OK, there's a reasonably good argument, that because they are in the public eye, that made them targets, or brought them to their stalkers attention. However, it puts the comments of "why would any woman become a politician" comment into context.

Why would any woman become a Famous singer/actor/personality etc etc etc, these politicians will hardly be the first women on earth to be victims of harassment or face threats of sexual violence, but lets not try codding ourselves that it was their politics that made them targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I read the article and responded on the first page with similar to the point you’re making. Couldn’t believe it later in the thread when the OP themselves started hounding a female poster and questioning her, after making the opening post. ‘Twas feckin’ bizarre, and somewhere in between the first post and this one it appeared that some posters were airing their dirty laundry in public… weird thread tbf 😒

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sorry Jack, I obviously missed that this morning, I got into a bit of a kerfuffle batting away "misogynistic" accusations levelled against me, for a while.

Yeah, thread turned bat shït crazy after a while, was definitely a sight to behold.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

What if the TD is themselves a bully and a thug?

Ruth Coppinger spearheaded a campaign that drove Paddy Jackson out of the country and out of any chance of representing Ireland again, all over criminal charges he was acquitted of.

She spearheaded a campaign to push George Hook out of a job.

The other week she tried a Cancel Michael O'Leary campaign over the press conference some years ago when he joked that a planned Ryanair First Class would feature hostesses giving blowjobs. Thankfully even her own mob didn't take her up on this one.

She is currently involved in some sort of "justice" campaign to try and end the career/ make life hell for a Garda who shot dead a knife wielding man in an incident that, having been caught on video, can in no way by any sane person be regarded as excessive force and not self defence.

Why should someone this awful not cop flak for their evil actions?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Everyone know Coppinger is an attention seeker. She grab a couple of poor single mothers and dragged them around Dublin to get elected. Once elected she dumped them all and never lifted a finger to help them. Hence why she got dropped kicked out on the last election.

Nobody had to spearhead a campaign against Jackson, once the text messages came out he was gone. Plenty of other TD;s at the time jumped on the bandwagon George Hook had so many enemies over the year, I don't even remember if she was involved at all in his removal Michael O'Leary will be laughing his head off at her.

I personally have heard nothing about this justice campaign but its probably the usual. When you see the brother of the man killed having to get arrested a few weeks after for his carry on that was the end of anyone having any interest, even RTE dumped them after the puff piece they done on the family.

The majority of what she does is an act and people have copped onto that in the majority. She is heading down the Gemma route as just a side comedy.

I am just wondering what exactly you want to happen to her?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Jesus there's some amount of schoolyard shyte going on in this thread....

As for the article, absolutely no point telling us all this is happening, but then saying that you don't want to do anything about it. FFS, make a complaint! It's not going to stop unless you do!!! I would have had sympathy up to that point, but by not making a complaint and prosecuting the person who is STALKING you, you have no one to blame after that point. Being a public figure has nothing to do with it, and using it as an excuse to not go ahead with a complaint is ridiculous. If she can't even follow that up, how can we trust her to be involved in running the country?!

Not excusing the behaviour, but you let this person at it, and they will escalate it and then it will be too late. It's 2021, people will actually get behind a public figure who is being stalked, mostly. Crazy to not follow up on it. Just crazy, and if anything happens now it'll all be poor her. The same as the residents who complain about drug dealing in their estate, and "everyone" knows who's at it, but no one will make a statement. Ignoring it will make it go away I'm sure. And she gets to write a lovely woe-is-me article to get people to feel sorry for her, which can't be proven, and is completely pointless because she remained anonymous. Have a pair girl!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mariab21

Mary Lou gets it as bad the other side

Its not just a anti Govt thing

• Registered Users Posts: 14,669 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

But they do get death threats .....

are you saying that rape threats are worse than murder threats?

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Because they examples you've provided are isolated incidents which were highlighted. Male TDs also suffer similar threats and abuse.

Female TDs receive no more abuse or threats than male TDs, this is is quite evident and clear from your lack of willingness to engage.

🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

The misandry in this thread is sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Arealred

Abuse against politicians isn't gender specific. To suggest otherwise is nonsense.

Certain female politicians who are idiots like in 'Swinggate' saga get more abuse but look at some of the abuse across the political spectrum that the likes of Mattie Mcgrath, Healy Raes, eamonn ryan and others get. We have snowflakes citizens and we have snowflake politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

a female TD who was left terrorised after being repeatedly harassed by a stranger. The harassment included a sexually violent explicit letter with references to rape and incest, sent to her home. 

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40359965.html

So you wouldn't regard this as 'gender-specific abuse'? Or you don't believe it actually happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Arealred

Please read my post again. Male politicians get equal if not worse abuse. If Leo Varadkar was to show you every letter or email he got of the abuse he gets it would be equally as bad.

Abuse sent to politician in Cork is wrong. Point I was making is that all politicians and specifically ones who feature heavily in news all get abuse male and female.

Where is the evidence of all these rape threats against Irish male politicians?

Terry Pratchet

Im not unwilling to engage in the thread. Im unwilling to engage in discussion specifically with you because you have already stated you are going to dimiss evidence or examples that are put to you.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That doesn't mean there's no such thing as gender-specific abuse. Describing FGM as a gender-specific human rights abuse is not saying that men and boys in countries where it is practiced do not suffer as bad or worse things.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,172 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I suspect once the feminist movement stops trying to convince the world that being raped is worse than being murdered (or the world finally decides that feminists simply aren't worth listening to), the rape threats female politicians receive will decline and the death threats will be received at a similar level to those received by their male colleagues.

I'm not saying that being raped isn't a devastating experience for the victim. When someone is trying to threaten or intimidate another person, however, they'll use the threat that they perceive as being most intimidating to that individual. With social media so focused on the topic of rape and sexual assault (and these politicians often being highly vocal on the subject to court the votes of those on these platforms), it's hardly surprising that scumbags who want to express their displeasure towards female politicians will use the threat of sexual violence.

I do find the phrasing of the thread subject rather amusing btw "Female TD's Break Silence"? When the hell was anyone elected to the Dáil silent about anything other than their own (or their party colleagues) bad behaviour?! 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

Jaysus lads it's a thread about female TD's getting harassed. Surely we are not so fragile as to need to make equivalences with men? The women deserve to be heard in this thread IMO.

Likely the OP was intending on getting political mileage out of it and it blew up in his face but the topic deserves a genuine acceptance and listen without some kind of competition.

Everyone gets abuse, this thread is about female politicians.

No, that’s not exactly what it is at all.

The point being made by women is that no man should feel entitled to threaten to rape a woman. That’s the point. It’s that simple.

And the counter to your point is that no woman should have higher rights than her male colleagues. Nobody should receive threats of any kind and everyone should be safe to walk down the street without having to fear being abused or assaulted.

Reality is very different from this utopian view, however, and what we're seeing here (as seems to be frequently becoming the norm) is feminists looking for women to receive further superior rights and protections on the basis of their gender.

I don’t see that as any sort of a counter-point tbh. Nobody is asking or expecting higher rights than anyone else. Not being subjected to abuse seems like a perfectly reasonable expectation as opposed to any sort of Utopian ideal.

Reality is of course different so that’s why what we’re seeing here are women (couldn’t care less whether or not they’re feminists tbh) coming out and saying women shouldn’t be subjected to abuse. They’re not looking for or expecting any superior rights and protections above anyone else. They’re looking for the rights they have already, to be protected, because it’s not happening at the moment when there are men who feel that they have the right to threaten women with being raped.

They’re not creating any “division based on sex” for goodness sake. They’re saying that women shouldn’t be subjected, by men, to being threatened with rape… and you’re complaining about “sexism” because they’re not also concerned with men who… aren’t threatened with rape by other men?

They’re not creating any division at all. You have to be pretending to be oblivious to ignore the issues they’re raising, why they’re raising them, and why they aren’t also obligated to take on anything which men are responsible for.

So asking for "female TDs not to be subjected to threats of rape by men" isn't framing the issue of TDs receiving threats as an issue that only affects women? I'd argue that it's viewing the world through the usual feminist lens of "female victim, male abuser, rape is the worst thing that can possibly happen". This is a dangerous and growing trend imo: public discourse being focused on what are often comparatively minor issues because it suits the feminist narrative that gets attention in both the traditional and social media.

TDs, while they should be held accountable for their actions (e.g. Maria Bailey should have been jailed for her attempted insurance fraud, Danny Healy Rae should at the least lose his publicans license for his flouting of the Covid guidelines etc.) shouldn't be receiving threats of violence, sexual or otherwise. In an ideal world, and one I agree that we should be working towards, it wouldn't happen. While focusing on it as a feminist issue may help the issue get attention, it not only results in more important matters of state receiving less attention than they should, it also means that any action taken on it will, once again, be gender based.

Why do I think this is dangerous? Irish women already have more rights and legal protections than their male counterparts and do better than men on almost every meaningful social metric: education, health, life expectancy and, yes; despite what the feminist narrative would have you believe: income (unless they choose to become parents). By all means if our female TDs think that legislating against the abusive communications they receive are more important than fixing our health system, addressing our failure to meet our climate change obligations, providing gainful employment opportunities for all our citizens or keeping our budget balanced they should seek to do that. But those efforts, and all other legislative discourse, should be done in a gender neutral way. Framing every issue as one that disproportionately affects women (whether that's true or - as seems to usually be the case - not) and seeking to legislate on that basis contributes to further our status as a society that discriminates based on gender.

The incel / MGTOW movements aren't being created in vacuum. Some of the concerns those groups started off with were genuine (parental alienation, gender bias in divorce settlements, lack of romantic opportunities for young men in a changing society etc). As seems to be the way with most groups on-line, however, they quickly veered towards the toxic as the most combative and loudest voices take over. It's easy to draw parallels between these movements and the largely internet-based fourth wave feminism tbh. Rather than engaging with each others genuine concerns they're attacking each other with ad-hominem attacks ("basement dwelling neckbeards that can't get laid" / "blue haired SJW" etc), focusing on each others nuttier and more extreme views and seeing society as a zero-sum game. This is often having harmful impacts on our socity imho.

The representation of rape as being a fate worse than death or the after-the-fact re-framing of transactional sexual encounters whereby one party quite willing slept with the other in order to advance their career or drunken encounters where neither party realistically had the capacity to consent to the activity as "rape" would both be examples of this: If society is telling you that the embarrassing sexual encounter you had with Steve from accounts while you were both hammered at the Christmas party means you were raped, and that this is a fate worse than death, it's going to be a lot harder to mark it down as a stupid mistake, laugh it off and move on with your life. For someone who's been through the traumatic experience of an actual rape that has potentially disastrous consequences: after all, if you've been sold and bought into the idea that what you've suffered really is a fate worse than death, why bother continuing to live?

Sleepy there’s plenty to think about there for sure, and I appreciate the time it took to write it, but I think on this occasion, can it not just be as simple as acknowledging something like -

“Y’know what ladies, ye have a point. Men? Stop threatening to rape women, it’s disgusting!”

There’s no zero-sum game there, and then everyone who wants to can work together on addressing and tackling all the other issues you bring up, in parallel, as opposed to imagining that they each have to be addressed and tackled in sequence.

I think on this occasion they have a legitimate point.

• Advertisement

Change your message to:

“Y’know what ladies, ye have a point. People? Stop threatening violence against TDs, it’s disgusting!”

and I'd fully agree with you.

All politics and legislation should be gender neutral: Loretta can't actually have babies, not having a womb, which is nobody's fault, not even the Romans', but she can have the right to have babies! ;)

(it's actually amazing how much good sense can be found in The Life of Brian!)

Advertisement