Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Female TD's break silence on harassment

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Any idiot that suggests highlight abuse is moaning or is of the view that women are inferior to men has no business talking about dealing with problems like an adult.

They should practice what they preach.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Before it’s time in fairness 😂

Call me old fashioned though, but personally I’m not interested in that gender neutral stuff or politics of any description. By all means have at it, and no doubt you’ll find popular support among feminists of all shapes, sizes and genders, providing there’s any of them left in public life when they’re being threatened with being raped by men.

We don’t have to agree of course, but even I can admit when women (be they feminists or otherwise), have a fair point regarding an issue which has a direct impact on their capacity to participate in public life, which is being perpetrated by men.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

OR....it's a thread about the particular plight of women receiving online abuse, so let's talk about that without playing who can piss the farthest?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Well, at the moment the original story in the article could be hearsay, because there's no official complaint so no investigation to see if it's the truth. Which then goes on to explore the broader issue of abuse women TD's get. And that evolved into the issue of abuse all TD's get, with the usual course of some people bringing it too far one way or the other.

I could easily come out and say that 50% of the men in the company I work for are paedophiles, but I don't want to make an official complaint. But it's true!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

It did strike me that the TDs refusal to press charges was setting a very poor example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,770 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

its a thread about a woman receiving in person harrasment/stalking.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"the guards didn't even put it on the Pulse system" https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40359965.html are gardai allowed not put something on pulse?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Jaysus lads, you can support the idea of threats against men, women or people in general equally. Supporting one doesn't diminish the other.

If somebody was raising awareness for breast cancer, you could support it or say no thanks, you wouldn't go off on one and say - "what about testicular cancer?", "why are you focusing on one cancer and not all cancers?", "this contributing to society too focused on cancer, come back to me when you include heart disease.", "why are you raising awareness for cancer, shouldn't you be in the lab trying to cure it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

But the threats of violence against TDs are disproportionately against women and because they are women.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Cant take you seriously on sexism when you claim female TDs are inferior to male TDs

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have you any evidence for that claim? I'm fairly certain I've seen it debunked before...

Even if it's true, it doesn't change my view that we shouldn't pass any laws that discriminate on the basis of gender. I'm not in favour of enshrining sexism within our legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

From my personal experience, if there's no complaint (and usually a statement would be required stating they didn't want to make a complaint), it would go on Pulse as a kinda FYI type incident, no details, just enough to justify the initial call and response. No statement, no complaint, no incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Surprised to see this didn't get s mention in this thread.

The Green Party has said that comments made in a WhatsApp group by TD Brian Leddin are now a “legal matter”.

Speaking at the party’s think-in in south Dublin, deputy leader Catherine Martin said: “It is a legal matter now and subject to Garda investigation.”

A spokesperson said that Mr Leddin would not be taking questions on the issue, calling it a “legal matter”.

The Garda press office has been contacted for comment

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Shebean

'A legal matter' sounds like the Greens effort to sweep it under the carpet aren't being successful.

I get your point though. There was a made up scandal got more traction. The alleged victim even came out to say the reports were nonsense. Here we have a clear case and ner a mention. I suppose morals for many people stop at their party door.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

if a person makes a public accusation about another individual, it’s not good enough to say.. “ ohh well the Gardai are investigating I can’t say any more”......

you either keep your mouth shut and allow the fairness of due process of the law to play out or you produce full and unequivocal evidence, not hearsay, not verbal details, actual evidence.

Leddin involved the Gardai he is playing the victim.

Advertisement