Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,108 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Normally I'd agree with that, but am only using the weights 6 weeks now so doubt It'll have made that much impact in such a short amount of time. Guess it just has to be the diet. Previously I wouldn't have to be so fanatical in monitoring what I'm eating when trying to lose weight, but this time it simply isn't working so may have to go down the route as suggested by Jude. Raging... this getting older lark is not all its cracked up to be!!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

Thats great, I had none of that and going through the system here at the time would have involved a dietician and the old food pyramid.

I struggle now to lose the rest which is why I advise people to get to the root of their eating issues before going ahead with it. Technically speaking I would be classed as a success as I lost 60% of my excess weight which was what was projected at the time for the surgery I had. Its just a struggle now to try to get rid of the remaining 40%. I've had a few medical issues since then which have hindered it.

Its great that your whole family can be involved in some way.

😂 Pretty much, except I wasn't looking so happy this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Yeah to be honest my only issue is needing to wait to start dropping. I would love to get stuck in but I think the anticipation is helping too. I will want it all the more. If they find sleep apnoa then I’ll be able to start straight in.

I am looking forward to seeing the psychiatrist and I’ve asked can I be referred for more if needed and that’s absolutely fine apparently. They were very frank that this is a lifelong journey and that this is one more tool to help. I’m just really looking to starting to be honest. Off for bloods this week for the endocrinologist so we’ll see what that shows.

Im cutting sugar this week,I’ve been having a bit of a food funeral and it’s not on. School and routine are coming. Lunchbox for myself has been hauled out already!

That all sounds great!!

I lost 2 stone coming up to my surgery and always regretted not having the foods I wanted in the week before surgery, so enjoy your food funeral and good luck

• Advertisement

oh the food funeral needs to stop, I’ve run out of energy on that. Routine is needed now!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,992 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Gym good, food bad, weight up again 😬 The brother gave me a bag of whey protein. I think I’ll use it to try and knock the post gym treats on the head. It’s actually really tasty. I’m thinking of buying some protein bars for the pre gym hunger pangs. I’m not a huge fan but they have to be better than whatever I’ve been pulling out of the presses lately

24 Weeks: -7.6lbs

Week 25: +1.2lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

I'd avoid the protein bars, I use whey instead of breakfast but only when I am not eating anything else. They are great for muscle building but the flip side is they are heavy in cal's so you need to make sure they are meal replacement rather than snacks.

There’s not much more than 100cals in a scoop of whey going by the pack the brother gave me. That’s not gonna cover any meal for me to be honest 😳😆

With the protein bars I reckon I’d cut them in half because they’re quite big or even a quarter before and after the gym in the hope that they’d replace all snacks. Once I get going on snacks there’s no limit really but I’m hoping with something I know I don’t really like that I can set limits from the outset

Maybe I’m kidding myself but I’ll give it a go for a week or 2 and see how it goes

Aldi have their own protein bars, 214 cals and 21g protein and sugars are low, I find them very filling, more so that a protein shake or smoothie.

• Advertisement

I have a sugar withdrawal headache. That is not ideal. I was definitely overdoing it

Are there more flavours than this?

No not that I've seen, I get the birthday one as I'm not a fan of peanut butter

Cool. They still have new written on their packaging. I’m sure they’ll add more if they’re popular enough. If you had mentioned protein bars to me last week I would have scoffed. I’m fickle like that 🙈😆

They're new enough..probably a few months kinda new.

Needs must and all that, they're just handy for bumping up protein count and as I said fill you for a while

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

How’s your sleep been lately?

My PT told me the more you sleep after exercise the more weight you shift and I total have noticed that in my weigh ins.

I'm a poor sleeper generally & suffer from bouts of insomnia, but the funny thing is since rejoining the gym my sleep has been pretty decent, the odd night ( 1 in 7 maybe) has been patchy but generally have been sleeping like the dead.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

What’s a good nights sleep round here 🤔 I’d be doing very well to get 6 hours in my house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Same, anything over 6/6.5 hours is a bonus for me. However, I have never been a good sleeper so well use to it at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,519 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

6 and a half is what my fitbit aims for- it can be hit and miss though!

Edit: Last week after a long train journey home from Galway, I wasn't feeling too well. Went for a lie down at about 7pm and slept for 14 and a half hours!! Definitely think I set a record for myself. 😮😂😂

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

They recommend anything over 7. I average about 6. I’m awful procrastinator during the week when it comes to sleep. And I usually get up at 6am.

the weekends I try and catchup on sleep and sleep in until 9.

That’s why I’m retaining weight so 😆 With 2 small kids and an earlyish shift in work 7 hours is uncommon

Back to the protein bars if I may. I bought 10/12 of them this evening and chopped the first into 8 pieces. I had one piece with a cup of coffee after work and I’ll scoff another before I head to the gym. All going great…until the wife walks in the door with a bloody apple crumble 😩 I haven’t gone near it yet. Praying for strength 🙏

Ah Jaysus. I love apple crumble. That is definitely one of my weaknesses.

Just back from the gym, limited my post workout dining to 2 soft boiled eggs chopped up and spread over 2 slices of wholemeal toast. Cup of tea later and that'll be that until brekkie at 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Normally it's my breakfast of a weekend... v.tasty!!

Two post work pints and a takeaway as it was the last working day for the Mrs. I am working both days at the weekend. Hoping to get to the gym at least once. Not looking forward to weigh in, no gym and loads of food.

My no sugar plan stalled-had a teacake and packet of fruit pastilles yesterday. On the flip side I did way more steps than normal and went swimming at the beach

Im in my parents so it’s a little more difficult to manage. Try again today

• Advertisement

I had a few pints again yesterday with work and a Chinese, zero gym.

Advertisement