Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

As someone who has had bariatric surgery I would think very long and hard on this before going ahead, its a tool which can be worked around and weight can be gained. It can also make weight loss very difficult as time goes on as your body adapts to lower calories.

When I got it done there was no psychological assessment etc which for some is essential as some I know who've also had bariatric surgery when they couldn't comfort eat turned to alcohol or drugs, I hope in addition to the dietician they will also have you talk to a counsellor so you are in the best frame of mind going ahead. Good luck

Thanks Jude, what I struggle with is routine, and not having enough energy/motivation to keep active. I'm just not stubborn enough at the moment to push through.

Tomorrow I'll be stubborn though, I'm setting my alarm early to start day 1 of couch to 5k, I usually bring the dog for her walk in the morning but I'm going to go earlier so that no one sees me attempt to run 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Thank you. Yes I have a full set of tests to do (not going abroad for this reason). Psychologist, endocrinologist, dietician, sleep study etc. I have also queried (and had it confirmed) that the dietician will work with the whole family not just me. We’ll see how that goes

ETA: I’m not going into this thinking it’s a cure all in case I came across that way. I’m well aware obesity is a life long condition and one I will always have to work on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Week 1: -3lbs

Week 2: -2.5lbs

Week 3: -4lbs

Week 4: +1.5lb

Week 5: -3lbs

Week 6: -0.5lb

Week 7: -3lbs

This is definitely a bit of last week Carried over. Got more sleep this week and watched the calories more tightly. I won’t pat myself on the back too soon.

My PT cancelled this morning so I need to go for a run tonight to get something done and I’m away this weekend for 2 nights so the diet will be out the window haha.

I’m averaging 2lbs loss a week now which I’m happy with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭DvB

if i read that correctly you're over a stone down now, that's fantastic work loughc. Well done.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong with me though, have been killing it in the gym (did so again last night with a great session) and have been eating healthily since the weekend and have actually gone up in weight... short of eating nothing I'm struggling to see what's going on tbh... just have to stick with it... that or have a really big poo!!

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Are drinking enough fluids (non alcoholic :))? Water retention due to not drink enough can lead to weigh increase or lack of loss.

Between coffee & water I'm drinking plenty. To be fair I know I haven't really got much to lose so losing anything at thsi stage is difficult, but still, i'm a little disappointed that I'm actually going up rather than even just maintaining. I know I've upped the weights a bit but still.

Anyway... just need to stick at it, I'm definitely feeling my fitness increasing so that's a definite positive. I'm back to running 10k in around 50 minutes which for my age & injury history I'm more than pleased with.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭Jude13

Great loss Loughc! DvB start weighing you food and do your macros to make sure you're in a deficit.

Had a shake for breakfast and a salad for lunch, then undid it all with a rake load of pints and a takeaway.

• Advertisement

Was pretty sure you would be, anyone with a sports history/ background knows the importance of hydration. Just though I would mention it.

The only other thing i can think of is that muscle is heavier than fat, so as you do more weights you are replacing fat with muscle, so weigh doesn't change much however you are in better shape.

Normally I'd agree with that, but am only using the weights 6 weeks now so doubt It'll have made that much impact in such a short amount of time. Guess it just has to be the diet. Previously I wouldn't have to be so fanatical in monitoring what I'm eating when trying to lose weight, but this time it simply isn't working so may have to go down the route as suggested by Jude. Raging... this getting older lark is not all its cracked up to be!!!

Thats great, I had none of that and going through the system here at the time would have involved a dietician and the old food pyramid.

I struggle now to lose the rest which is why I advise people to get to the root of their eating issues before going ahead with it. Technically speaking I would be classed as a success as I lost 60% of my excess weight which was what was projected at the time for the surgery I had. Its just a struggle now to try to get rid of the remaining 40%. I've had a few medical issues since then which have hindered it.

Its great that your whole family can be involved in some way.

😂 Pretty much, except I wasn't looking so happy this morning!

Yeah to be honest my only issue is needing to wait to start dropping. I would love to get stuck in but I think the anticipation is helping too. I will want it all the more. If they find sleep apnoa then I’ll be able to start straight in.

I am looking forward to seeing the psychiatrist and I’ve asked can I be referred for more if needed and that’s absolutely fine apparently. They were very frank that this is a lifelong journey and that this is one more tool to help. I’m just really looking to starting to be honest. Off for bloods this week for the endocrinologist so we’ll see what that shows.

Im cutting sugar this week,I’ve been having a bit of a food funeral and it’s not on. School and routine are coming. Lunchbox for myself has been hauled out already!

That all sounds great!!

I lost 2 stone coming up to my surgery and always regretted not having the foods I wanted in the week before surgery, so enjoy your food funeral and good luck

• Advertisement

oh the food funeral needs to stop, I’ve run out of energy on that. Routine is needed now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Gym good, food bad, weight up again 😬 The brother gave me a bag of whey protein. I think I’ll use it to try and knock the post gym treats on the head. It’s actually really tasty. I’m thinking of buying some protein bars for the pre gym hunger pangs. I’m not a huge fan but they have to be better than whatever I’ve been pulling out of the presses lately

24 Weeks: -7.6lbs

Week 25: +1.2lbs

I'd avoid the protein bars, I use whey instead of breakfast but only when I am not eating anything else. They are great for muscle building but the flip side is they are heavy in cal's so you need to make sure they are meal replacement rather than snacks.

There’s not much more than 100cals in a scoop of whey going by the pack the brother gave me. That’s not gonna cover any meal for me to be honest 😳😆

With the protein bars I reckon I’d cut them in half because they’re quite big or even a quarter before and after the gym in the hope that they’d replace all snacks. Once I get going on snacks there’s no limit really but I’m hoping with something I know I don’t really like that I can set limits from the outset

Maybe I’m kidding myself but I’ll give it a go for a week or 2 and see how it goes

Aldi have their own protein bars, 214 cals and 21g protein and sugars are low, I find them very filling, more so that a protein shake or smoothie.

• Advertisement

I have a sugar withdrawal headache. That is not ideal. I was definitely overdoing it

Are there more flavours than this?

No not that I've seen, I get the birthday one as I'm not a fan of peanut butter

Cool. They still have new written on their packaging. I’m sure they’ll add more if they’re popular enough. If you had mentioned protein bars to me last week I would have scoffed. I’m fickle like that 🙈😆

They're new enough..probably a few months kinda new.

Needs must and all that, they're just handy for bumping up protein count and as I said fill you for a while

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

How’s your sleep been lately?

My PT told me the more you sleep after exercise the more weight you shift and I total have noticed that in my weigh ins.

I'm a poor sleeper generally & suffer from bouts of insomnia, but the funny thing is since rejoining the gym my sleep has been pretty decent, the odd night ( 1 in 7 maybe) has been patchy but generally have been sleeping like the dead.

What’s a good nights sleep round here 🤔 I’d be doing very well to get 6 hours in my house

Same, anything over 6/6.5 hours is a bonus for me. However, I have never been a good sleeper so well use to it at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,641 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

6 and a half is what my fitbit aims for- it can be hit and miss though!

Edit: Last week after a long train journey home from Galway, I wasn't feeling too well. Went for a lie down at about 7pm and slept for 14 and a half hours!! Definitely think I set a record for myself. 😮😂😂

They recommend anything over 7. I average about 6. I’m awful procrastinator during the week when it comes to sleep. And I usually get up at 6am.

the weekends I try and catchup on sleep and sleep in until 9.

That’s why I’m retaining weight so 😆 With 2 small kids and an earlyish shift in work 7 hours is uncommon

Back to the protein bars if I may. I bought 10/12 of them this evening and chopped the first into 8 pieces. I had one piece with a cup of coffee after work and I’ll scoff another before I head to the gym. All going great…until the wife walks in the door with a bloody apple crumble 😩 I haven’t gone near it yet. Praying for strength 🙏

Ah Jaysus. I love apple crumble. That is definitely one of my weaknesses.

Just back from the gym, limited my post workout dining to 2 soft boiled eggs chopped up and spread over 2 slices of wholemeal toast. Cup of tea later and that'll be that until brekkie at 6am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭tscul32

Normally it's my breakfast of a weekend... v.tasty!!

Two post work pints and a takeaway as it was the last working day for the Mrs. I am working both days at the weekend. Hoping to get to the gym at least once. Not looking forward to weigh in, no gym and loads of food.

My no sugar plan stalled-had a teacake and packet of fruit pastilles yesterday. On the flip side I did way more steps than normal and went swimming at the beach

Im in my parents so it’s a little more difficult to manage. Try again today

• Advertisement

I had a few pints again yesterday with work and a Chinese, zero gym.

Had my weigh in this morning, down again, by the sum total of half a pound... this is killing me... 2 gym sessions now over the weekend and a stricter diet underway so hopefully a better next week.

@Jude13 I’ll be joining the pints and naughty food train later on 😆

@DvB are you fairly close to your goal/ideal weight? Could this be why it’s a struggle to get over the line?

I'm at 12st 1lb at the moment, was aiming for 11 st 10lbs as that was my prime 'running' weight as I called it... truth be told I'm not really that overweight, fitness is generally more important to me, but I'm noticing the love handles around the middle and really want to lose them whilst keeping my aerobic fitness up and increasing my core strength. From talking to the PT and from personal experience I know you can't really target an area specifically so need to lose general body fat to trim them down, hence monitoring the weight atm. I'm meeting the PT later today so will chat to.him about it at some stage.

Happy days. Not a million miles away really. One thing I’ve found as I’ve gotten older is that I’m far less naturally active so if I don’t go out of my way to get some exercise in then I have to closely watch my food intake or the weight piles on. Losing weight is all about food really as we all know but if you’re only 5lbs off those handles could be attacked with weight and cardio training. Best of luck with the PT. Tell him to swivel if he/she mentions burpees

Yeah, not a fan of burpees either. Not with my knees.

• Advertisement

I hate burpees. Every single trainer in my gym are obsessed with them.

Burpee butt buster even more special🥵

Yeah my PT mentioned them in our first session and I told him out straight 'not gonna happen' i

It's like a hive mind or something for PT's

Burpees are just pure torture, I reckon they should be called pukees.

Feel the same about burpees but still struggle through them.

I have not had the chance to hit the gym, which is a lie straight out, I have been too lazy/tired/guilty to go to the gym. I see the youngest for 5-10 mins in the morning, then the same at night, when I actually get home before bed. That's been like that for the last 9 days. I am hoping to get some down time near the end of next week.

I still cannot run due to an ankle/metatarsal injury, i tired the bike and cross trainer but its aching after that. I am wearing a proper work shirt today and the buttons are about to pop. Weight in tomorrow. I would say I'm a kg up.

• Advertisement
Advertisement