Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corruption in charities

Options

Comments

Modern celebrities do exactly the same thing.

They do charity not because they care about the charity, but because of how positive it makes them look / get work on TV for further exposure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,874 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

There's a bit of a difference between getting good pr and abusing kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

I use to work for a Taxi company years back when I was younger, I was a telephonist and we had one well known charity who had an account with us. They would all be calling up friday and saturday nights looking for Taxis to and from their piss ups.... Nice to know someones donation is going towards getting them to the Pub ! This was going back 2005' but I am sure it still goes on today. They would also give their relations permission to use the account so they were all going to the pub on peoples donations.

I have never donated money to a charity since I seen this going on, this was at the time probably the biggest charity in Ireland. F them....

If you're sure it still goes on today, please report them to the Charities Regulator urgently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭dublin49

And thats why corruption in charities is so easy and I suspect prelevant,you give a small donation ,you have little or no interest in seeing where that donation ends up and are almost certainly not going to follow up any abuse you become aware of ,rather you resolve to never give to that charity or perhaps any charity again. I have been around the houses before on this and obviously expect to hear the one bad apple argument etc.What the Bothar case illustrates is if the fraudelent intention is there fraud can go on for ridiculously long periods of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,757 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If you are inclined to be charitable and wish to give to a good cause you can do your due diligence and pick a well run charity to donate to.

There are many which you will find worthy of support that are managed by decent people at both Board and staff level.

Having said that the rogue operators should of course be put out of business because they are not only defrauding their donors but are also making life difficult for those that follow the rules.

in reality if you are asked for a donation how many people have either the time or inclination to drill down into complicated company reports before handing over their 10 or 20 euros offering.What you say is possible but not practiable for most .My main issue with charities is the financial relationship is practically if not unique.You hand over money on trust and get nothing in return .All other financial transactions involve a two way process,you pay for goods or services and receive something tangible in return,therefore if you are unhappy with the transaction you will know immediately unlike a charitable donation where it might take years for fraud to become apparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

The days of giving money to charities is over, most don’t care either as they are sitting on huge donations from the givernment so the normal person is actually donating all the time.

The money given to them is a tiny percent given to the needy. The number of scandals with charities is increasing but nothing happens after it, they just walk away and a few days later out looking for money again

its is a terrible thing to say all this, you would hope a charity would be trying to do good but it doesn’t seem to be the case

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭Floppybits

The problem is a lot of the rogue operators are the big charities and not some guy going around in hi-vis vest, a bucket and pretending to be collecting for a charity. Not saying that doesn't happen but if you look a Rehab, Bothair, Console all supposedly reputable charities getting state money and all have been caught up in scandal and I am sure I have missed a couple of there.

The only charity that I will give too and it is because I have seen the work they do is St Francis Hospice, the care, compassion and dignity they give to people both family and patients is second to none.

I am sure St Francis Hospice is doing a great job but it should not be run by a charity.These services are a fundamental part of a Health System and should be provided by the Health Service.

• Advertisement

I don't think this reflects the public mood, based on the very successful fundraising events that have taken place through the pandemic.

You're correct to say that the number of scandals is increasing, because these things just weren't caught before. Improved governance and regulation means that things are actually being addressed, and aren't being swept under the carpet.

And still, the number of scandals is tiny in the context of the overall charity sector.

If you choose not to give to charities, that is absolutely your prerogative. But there is no reason to suggest that no-one should be giving to charity.

Personally, I absolutely agree with the concerns that so many vital public services are run by charities. This is primarily done to allow Government to get away with paying lower levels of salary and pension for these roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I kinda agree but I would wonder would the state provide as good a service as what St Francis provide. Once the HSE take over anything it becomes about were they can cut costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Reports saying that he has been found dead in tragic circumstances at his home in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,313 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

He was under investigation for sexual misconduct.

Was suspended from his role the last month.

And people will moan about soup kitchens being regulated!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

That's an ill informed topic.

This man was Garda Vetted as are all ICHH volunteers. Same as the one I'm involved with. To try and make this an attack on soup runs is moronic. He had an allegation made against him over a month ago yet hadn't even been formally questioned.

Arrests and charges tend to take a long, long time - Gardai have to complete their full investigation, including interviewing all witnesses, which tends to be particularly difficult and sensitive in sexual assault cases, then pass the file over to the DPP for decision, then possibly arrest the person where necessary.

The lack of an arrest/charge is not an indication of a lack of progress or lack of interest. These things take time.

• Advertisement

An arrest would usually follow fairly quickly, charges take quite some time.

However that is well beside the point I was making. Somebody here used it to try and attack or belittle the work being done by these organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I'm not at all sure last evenings Shocking events are appropriate in this Thread, I make no Judgement, the events, suspension, Garda investigation having nothing to do with corruption but an entirely unsavory matter.

I will say the social media frenzy, particularly Twitter was utterly shocking with an almost competition like flutter trying to name the well known politician arrested, suspended, it was truely disgusting and shameful.

I didn't know the man, I am horrified at the allegations (which is what they remain, for now).

A person has Died, Alledged victims Traumatised and a family grieving.

I'll leave it at that and say no more.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Alot if not most of the various homeless charities should be looked at and gone through with a financial fine comb ,tens of millions being made by these charities with little or no oversight where people's money is going ,

Imagine having a charitable income of several million per annum ,yet all of your staff are nonpaid voluntary roles with people preparing food in House hold kitchens using food that's donated ,

Or paying long term hotel stays with little or no reason why or how long they are planning to live there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Absolutely they are dodgy as hell look at bóthar console rehab etc there's millions going through these charities and absolutely no oversight. I stopped donating to charities years ago when I learned the truth about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Absolutely right , I'm working in homeless charities for years.

By the way I'm posting from my yaught off the coast of Monaco today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It has to do with the type of society we developed from the state's foundations and how we view society. The sweepstakes to fund hospitals is a good example another example rural transport in the UK is seen as a service that should be provided by the local council here it's some sort of non for profit providing the service, the voluntary hospitals are another example. The state took and takes an arms-length distance to providing services, in the UK the same services are seen as a right and should be provided by the state not charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Of course that's another scandal the state refusing to fund essential services and forcing charities to bridge the gap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

We donated to Bothar every month because we liked the idea and thought it was well run and a lot less likely to have corrupt people running it than other charities.

How wrong were we.

Will not be donating to a charity again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

RIP.

Unfortunately a tragedy like this was probably inevitable since we moved to trial by hashtag.

• Advertisement

You forgot to mention that in the UK, services are paid for via Rates. Somewhere in the region of £1,000 a year, and that doesn’t include water charges.

Advertisement