Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,949 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Fits perfectly they shouldn't have changed it.

Although in reality changing it probably generates more headlines so maybe it's a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 7 GabbyDann

It is better than news! I get more info from this topic

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Seamus Ó Dubhghaill

First Brexit and then the Covid-19 shambles.It seems the Tories just can't seem to catch a break.

Yet their approval ratings are up in a poll out today.

What is it going to take for the British public to tire of the Tory toffs ?

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/articles-reports/2021/08/11/voting-intention-con-41-lab-33-5-6-aug

I do wonder where they do this polling because I was over in Leeds last weekend and there is real visceral hatred for Boris Johnson up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I would say definitely visceral hatred for Johnson across many parts of the uk and i noticed in a separate poll over the weekend that his own personal approval rating is approaching record lows. But Starmers approval rating was down too so I think the polls yo yoing - tories oscillating between 40-45% from month to month - is just an illustration that lots of people, potentially swing voters, are dissatisfied but don't fully see a viable alternative for them as of yet. I really think both the greens and the lib dems should be savouring the current political climate, but difficult to translate that into seats when the time comes.

• Advertisement

I just don't see how a party led by such a serial liar and with daily evidence of incompetence and corruption by its senior minister on show can command such support at this stage of the electoral cycle.Labour should be clawing back support now the Brexit bounce has ended.Other countries in Europe as well as Ireland have caught up with the vaccine roll-out and they've even got the troops on standby to deliver food to supermarkets.I can't help thinking the Brits don't really care that much about who runs them.

Of course, it seems utterly strange, bonkers even, that they seem to be emerging from colossal covid mismanagement with minimal damage, even though vaccine bounce appears to be gone. But, hey, there we are!

One of the metrics I always look at is the different classes of voters and what issues they prioritise and overwhelmingly for base tory voters, it is never immigration or other "woke" issues, but money in their pockets. For younger middle class, it is income tax. For the elderly, the core base, it is social care and not being rinsed out to pay for it. And unless they can be convinced a Labour government would be no threat to them and their hard earned, there's no way they'd ever dream of switching. I think that's what Starmer is hinting at when he talks about going back to blairism, but he has a way to go yet.

I'm sure there are several factors, biased media obviously a prominent one, but I think that's possibly one anyway.

Does that mean we have to wait for all the No insults please to die off before we see a return to some decent British politicians in charge and hopefully a change of mind on Brexit and more money being put into the NHS -that's if it hasn't been sold off by then.

Personally I reckon it's the red wall that's the key.Stuff like Johnson's joke about Thatcher closing the pits and the realisation that Brexit hasn't brought them any of the things they were promised will turn those voters back to Labour.

Maybe the only hope is a coalition of Labour,Greens,LibDems and the SNP.

Post edited by ancapailldorcha on

They are good questions. Your guess as good as mine. Age demographics have almost supplanted class as the key dividing line, how does that evolve over time? Will the climate crisis radicalise a whole new generation of voters who might otherwise have taken little interest?

Labour are making it all about the red wall anyway. Eggs all emphatically going in that basket. Leaving the lib dems with a pretty clear run to nip away at the tories in the south I suspect, but i guess their top campaign strategists know best.

Coalition would obviously be the only hope. Some holding out hope for a pre election voting alliance but personally I can't see that happening beyond a very basic level.

The SNP is toxic to the average English voter though. I think the fear of a Labour-SNP coalition and Tory talk of this equalling a second Scottish referendum has damaged Labour over the last 10 years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,216 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Why would the average English voter care one way or the other about the SNP? Serious question.

The average English voter does not want the union broken up so therefore sees a coalition where Indyref 2 is part of the bargain as the Torys claim it would be as a danger.

Also they are the 3rd biggest party in parliament and look like they will be for some time so it would be stupid for English people not to care about them

A century ago, the average English voter survived the departure of most of Ireland from the union. There doesb't appear to have been any political blowback for the UK government that negotiated and implemented that.

Two years ago, the average English voter was happy to give a massive mandate for Johnson's oven-ready WA, which took the UK out of the EU against the expressed wishes of Scotland, and in a way that left Northern Ireland separated from GB by a variety of regulatory and fiscal barriers.

I'm not seeing much evidence that the average English voter cares very much about the prospect of the union being broken up. They may say they care, in opinion polls — I don't know; I haven't seen any polling on English attitudes to this — but they clearly don't care enough about it to allow such considerations to influence their voting behaviour to any great extent. They have other priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Genuinely I can't believe nor trust the polling from yougov. It's owned by the conservatives. On no metric does it deserve trust and frankly is probably used as a whipping tool to set narratives. They probably poll only very specific people they know the answer they will get .

Last week, Keir Starmer explicitly ruled out doing any deals with the snp either before or after the next GE. Now, I don't believe that actually rules out some sort of post election deal if it came down to it, as we know how these things go, but for Starmer to say what he did, as well as to attack the snp quite vigorously, there has to be a reason and, as most of what they are doing seems designed to appeal to a specific type of voter in England, i can only conclude that is the chief motive behind it. The previous labour administration was open to the idea of another indyref and it was an attack line for the tories to use against them. The present administration is determined to not let that happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,955 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Any English party would have to be mad or desperate TBH to side with the SNP. Notwithstanding their Social Democrat policies might chaff with an immediate portion of potential allies, the Scottish Nationalism aspect would be a death sentence at the polls in England. Tabloids would still refer to the SNP as seditionists as a casual pejorative and those same outlets would destroy any English party getting in bed with what are editorialised as traitors and malcontents.

For one Ireland is different as it is a separate island and viewed as such by English people who not only dont care about NI many dont understand its existence. I know word on the street isnt evidence but the idea that Corbyn = SNP coalition = break of of the union was a commonly regurgitated line in England at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

There's a lot of truth in this. The average English voter doesn't particularly care for Scotland, they never did, but they are a big fan of the notion of "the Union" and possessing territory...the Falklands, Gibraltar, Northern Ireland, Scotland. Any party that supports the SNP is signing its death warrant, so now Labour will take a hard line against Scottish independence.

If and when the Scots walk you'll see a lot of spiteful talk along the lines of "we're better off without them" and "they were only a drain anyway". A quick check online shows a lot of this kind of talk already.

I'm not sure the Scots will walk.Polling for independence is back to a negative rating and I reckon it just suits Sturgeon to huff and puff about IndyRef2 without actually doing anything.The real test is going to be when the effects of Brexit kick in.Job losses and the like.Roaming charges are not going to persuade votgers to change their minds.Personally I think the Tories will get in again with a much reduced majority and it's in Johnson's second term when he's got an uppity back bench and a small majority when things will happen.

The next election is too far away to make any very confident predictions about how it will play out — a great deal can happen between now and 2024. But just from an "arc of history" point of view, if the Tories were to win that would be five successive general elections in which the Tories have taken office. That kind of winning run has never happened in UK history for any political party and, you have to ask yourself, does the current Tory party, with the current Tory leadership, look like the kind of outfit that could deserve such a place in history?

• Advertisement

The Brit public seems to think so.The latest IpsosMORI poll out this week has the Tory toffs a full eleven points ahead of Labour.That is some mountain to climb if Starmer is ever going to get the blond buffoon out of No 10.And that is after his crass Thatcher closed the mines quip.

Starmer really handing it to the pm in a full HOC this morning on Afghanistan. In fairness, Johnson a sitting duck. Never once visited the country as pm. His last visit as foreign secretary wasn't to learn about the situation, but to escape a vote on the Heathrow 3rd runway! As the Taliban zeroed in on Kabul, Johnson was heading off on holiday. His foreign secretary was at that moment sunning himself on a beach in crete. Open goal time for opposition and Starmer gleefully seizing the opportunity.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Listening to UK commentators talking about Afghanistan and the Taliban and how undemocratic and corrupt they are.

Do they ever look into the UK and its level of corruption and how democratic it is? It is 90 years since a majority Gov in the UK has enjoyed over 50% of the popular vote. (They did have one coalition Gov between LibDem and Tories 2010-2015).

Corruption is well covered elsewhere.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,828 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's a debacle. In any other time, this'd destroy political careers and topple governments but Johnson just carries on. Raab was sunning himself in Cyprus while this was going on. I've never seen a government be so immune to the consequences of their catastrophic incompetence and corruption. It also bears mentioning that Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe is still languishing in an Iranian cell while the government do absolutely nothing for her.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Raab, the foreign secretary who was sunning himself on a beach in Greece as Kabul fell, sitting there grinning and heckling as Ian Blackford speaks. Just not even the merest iota of shame these people, emboldened by the full benches again. Not even the faintest hint of an apology that I've heard yet either.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The last time there were pictures of a mob taking over Gov building was on Jan 6th this year in Washington DC and a mob took over the Capitol building looking to string up some elected officials, like Nanci Pelosi and Pence.

Short memories - they all quote Saigon (now Ho Chi Min City) when the USA pulled out after defeat in Vietnam. By the way, How is Vietnam doing these days since the nasty Viet Cong took over? Is it doing better after the USA troops left?

Applause from all sides of the house for speech by Tom Tugendhat who remembered comrades who had fallen and applauded the bravery of Afghan troops he had fought alongside. Very moving.

When the clapping is done is there going to be a round of apologies for all the people who were labelled "unpatriotic" and "traitors" for saying it was a waste of time and lives to go in there in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

The uk is not undemocratic

Their voting system is different to our own system but it is democratic.

Like most countries it does have corruption in all levels of public and private services and an issue with inherited wealth and status.

• Advertisement

Majoritarianism is not democracy. In the UK system, winner takes all - no compromises, no discussion, no quarter given to the the other side.

If you need proof of this, just look at the progress that Brexit has taken since 52% voted for it and 48% voted against it - whatever what 'it' was/is. No way is the current form of Brexit in any way close to the promises made, nor have any of the explicit promises been kept.

We know in NI what majoritarianism was under the Unionist regime - it is not pleasant to be on the wrong side of it. In GB, this means to be dependant on food banks, 'benefits', poor housing, and generally an unpleasant life.

Advertisement