Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will A Business Loan affect my Mortgage Application?

Options
  • 16-08-2021 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭

Mods feel free to move this to relevant thread if you see fit.

So I'm currently in the middle of starting up a new business and will need some capitol to get it off the ground. Ideally around 10k-20k which I'm considering taking out a business loan for.

I'm currently self employed and have been for the last 2.5 years with another one of my businesses.

Myself and my partner are applying for a mortgage together and hoping to buy somewhere as soon as possible.

I have 2 questions regarding potentially taking out this loan

1) Will this loan affect my mortgage application? The new business is registered as a private limited company.

2) If I take out a business loan am I personally liable to pay it back or would it fall under the liability of the business?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

If it's a limited company, you have limited liability.

However, as far as I know, lenders can/will ask for a personal guarantee, especially if it's a new business and there's no security involved. So you're not liable for the loan as the owner of the business, but you are liable as a guarantor. A guarantor can be held liable for the full amount of a loan they guarantee, so I would guess it would be treated as a liability when calculating your mortgage approval.

I'd recommend talking to a mortgage advisor/broker in advance so that you know where you stand on the mortgage front, and similarly make sure you're aware of what it means if you're asked to provide a guarantee over the business loan. A lot of people sign guarantees assuming they'll never be called up on it, but in many cases that's a big mistake.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It is extremely unlikely that any bank will give a start up an unsecured loan. So you can expect to have to provide a personal guarantee for any loans granted to your company and accordingly it will be considered in you mortgage application.

@mods: move to banking & insurance forum.

Advertisement