Advertisement
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)
New AMA with a US police officer (he's back!). You can ask your questions here

Will A Business Loan affect my Mortgage Application?

• 16-08-2021 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭ Panic Stations

Mods feel free to move this to relevant thread if you see fit.

So I'm currently in the middle of starting up a new business and will need some capitol to get it off the ground. Ideally around 10k-20k which I'm considering taking out a business loan for.

I'm currently self employed and have been for the last 2.5 years with another one of my businesses.

Myself and my partner are applying for a mortgage together and hoping to buy somewhere as soon as possible.

I have 2 questions regarding potentially taking out this loan

1) Will this loan affect my mortgage application? The new business is registered as a private limited company.

2) If I take out a business loan am I personally liable to pay it back or would it fall under the liability of the business?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭ true-or-false

If it's a limited company, you have limited liability.

However, as far as I know, lenders can/will ask for a personal guarantee, especially if it's a new business and there's no security involved. So you're not liable for the loan as the owner of the business, but you are liable as a guarantor. A guarantor can be held liable for the full amount of a loan they guarantee, so I would guess it would be treated as a liability when calculating your mortgage approval.

I'd recommend talking to a mortgage advisor/broker in advance so that you know where you stand on the mortgage front, and similarly make sure you're aware of what it means if you're asked to provide a guarantee over the business loan. A lot of people sign guarantees assuming they'll never be called up on it, but in many cases that's a big mistake.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Jim2007

It is extremely unlikely that any bank will give a start up an unsecured loan. So you can expect to have to provide a personal guarantee for any loans granted to your company and accordingly it will be considered in you mortgage application.

@mods: move to banking & insurance forum.

Advertisement