Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure Telecom (Siro) PPPoE Settings

Options
  • 23-10-2020 4:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

There's a few threads nocking around that mention the pppoe credentials but I'm creating this new thread with a more descriptive title just to share the full pppoe settings on the router I got from Pure Telecom.

Here you go.
    zwiKuRa.png

I think the most important bits are username, password and vlan 10 tagging.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭darragh_k

Do all Pure Telecom products use PPPOE?

I heard Amazon Eero won't work with pppoe..

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭danicm

darragh_k wrote: »
    Do all Pure Telecom products use PPPOE?

I can only speak for their Siro connection which does use pppoe. If the Amazon Eero or any other mesh system doesn't have pppoe or vlan tagging then you can alway use the router they provide, turn off wifi on it so that you only use it for routing purposes (dhcp, firewall, nat, wan with pppoe + vlan, etc) and then just hook up whatever WiFi AP or Mesh system to it through an ethernet connection. This is how I have it in my house.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 masterofp

OpenEir FFTH also uses PPoE.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

danicm wrote: »
    There's a few threads nocking around that mention the pppoe credentials but I'm creating this new thread with a more descriptive title just to share the full pppoe settings on the router I got from Pure Telecom.

Here you go.
    zwiKuRa.png

I think the most important bits are username, password and vlan 10 tagging.

Just got an email saying Siro is available to me now, what router is supplied by Pure and are there any additional installation charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

theShire wrote: »
    Just got an email saying Siro is available to me now, what router is supplied by Pure and are there any additional installation charges?

Its a fritzbox. No additional charges from what I can see. However i was told it would take 1.5-2 weeks to install and eventually installer date just over 3 weeks after ordering.

• Advertisement

theShire wrote: »

No installation charges. They have at least two different routers. The Fritzbox and the one I got is a Zyxel VMG8623-T50B which is actually pretty decent, although I can't speak for it's wireless feature as I have both radios (2.4 and 5GHz) disabled because I have my own WiFi Mesh system.

Siro is great, and to have a 1Gbps download and 100Mbps upload connection for just €35 per month is a real bargain. But my favourite thing about Pure Telecom is their excellent customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

darragh_k wrote: »

IPv4 is IPv4. How its encapsulated has no impact on end devices.

ED E wrote: »
    IPv4 is IPv4. How its encapsulated has no impact on end devices.

I think darragh_k's intention might have been to use the Eero Mesh system instead of the router provided, to connect it directly to the ONT, in which case it does need PPPoE and Vlan tagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ooops, read that as Echo.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭Nollog

Do pure use Mac addresses to tell if you're supposed to have service then or is that something SIRO manage?

• Advertisement

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Do pure use Mac addresses to tell if you're supposed to have service then or is that something SIRO manage?

I'm not 100% sure but to me it seems like the entire infrastructure and technical aspects of it is all Siro. And I don't think they use MAC address filtering to allow/disallow the router from establishing a pppoe connection because you can use your own router as long as it supports pppoe and vlan tagging on the wan interface. I was originally planning to do this thinking they would probably send a ****ty router, but when I got it I decided to give it a go and it's actually pretty decent as a router (DHCP, NAT, Firewal, etc...) I actually don't know if the WiFi is any good because I turned that off right away as I have my own access points.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Zindur

Just in case if anybody needs settings for Asus Merlin

On LAN - IPTV

Select Manual Settings, then on Internet for VID enter 10

on WAN connection type PPPoE

and acc settings

• Registered Users Posts: 10 icantfindaname11

do you have any connection drop issues with Asuswrt Merlin? I have very similar settings on AC88U with sky siro, PPPoE drops intermittently, there are many threads in various forums about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Are ye sure you need to bother with PPPoE, I got my Pure connected a couple of weeks ago and here is my WAN setting on the Unifi console (Dream Machine Pro) all I did was set VLAN ID to 10 and boom it worked straight away no other settings required. My UDMP is directly connected to the ONT so do not go through any other router.

My IPv4 connection is set at DHCPv4 also.

**just now reading the question is about a SIRO connection mine is a NBI connection so...my bad!..but Ill leave it here for your info anyway

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I did need the credentials, tried your way before but no dice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I have an "NBI" Pure connection. I posted here in error thinking it was Pure Telecom but the question was asked About Siro connections which could be different

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Ah right, my line is appearing as BT Ireland, I think the line is Open Eir's rather than Siro.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭AntonP

I am switching from eir to pure in a few weeks and for eir I got a managed switch where I did put Vlan 10 from ONT (open eir) to my ASUS GT AX11000 Pro, no need for pppoe or anything. Working flawless.

for what I read on this post if vlan 10 is required for pure, then my setup will just work right away when they take over, no need to do anything :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Frostynight

Hi lads

I just started up with Pure and I got my own router (Asus TUF-AX3000). I can't get a direct connection working on the router.

I set up a PPPoE connection with settings:

Username: puretelecom@puretel.ie

Password: broadband1

This router doesn't have an explicit VLAN tab, but I see Asus mentions and some users on Boards say go to IPTV and put under internet 10 and priority leave as 0. Reboot. No connection. It says "disconnected" in the router hub.

As a last resort, I'd consider bridging from the Zyxel to the Asus. I did this for the last few days with Sky and it worked fine. I cannot get that to work with Pure either. The Zyxel on its own is working fine.

I've heard good things about Pure's support. I called twice yesterday (2m calls) and they couldn't wait to hang up.

Any clues about what I might be doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Glaceon

From what I know of Pure, it seems they either resell Eir or BT backend. If Eir you'd probably get away with just DHCP (IPoE) but with BT you'd need the PPPoE login. The VLAN would be required for either if the router is connected directly to the ONT.

I helped a friend set up an Asus router on Digiweb and your settings look correct based on what I did there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MrTi

Do someone noticed Pure Telecom (Siro) PPPoE connection drop for just a few minutes during a night for IP renewal?

With Vodafone there is 24 h IP renewal from DHCP/PPPoE and that's happening after 2 a.m. everyday, even if there was force reconnect setup around 5 a.m. previous day. Reconnect takes only 1 minute, but its enough to drop connections to servers / programs. Maybe someone can verify how long PPPoE connection stays connected with PURE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Is that screenshot from Vodafone? Are they using CGNAT now (based on that IP address)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MrTi

No, IP address was edited for privacy reasons. They provide addresses with 109.x.x.x or 51.x.x.x and others.

Back to the question it seems like Vodafone and Pure Telecom SIRO have this reconnect issue. Digiweb SIRO seems to be grand.

Advertisement