Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road to sub 3:25 and beyond... ?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Monday 14th June

3km Wu
    6 x 10-20s sprints
    3km Cd

Tuesday

Plan:
    - 3km Wu
    - 4(800 ,400, 200m @<4min/km pace) w/ 75s off each and 3 Min between sets
    - CD

Managed the Wu and 1 set - I think I went far too quick and ended up with a niggle around the ankle/calf area. Walked home to be safe.

Wednesday

Calf strap on and felt much better after a good night sleep.

10km - 53:xx

Thursday

3.5kmish WU
    10km 48:xx
    1.5km-ish CD

Club run this evening, stayed in with the middle group.

Saturday

19 x 1km laps at a fairly steady 4:55-5:10ish throughout. Leg felt good, no issues

59.5km for the week

So the leg is at me after today's run, called it quits early with a niggle. Looking to get into physio this week just for a service - it'll probably be walks, S&C , stretches or maybe a very very light jog depending how I am. The main thing is to not let it get worse.

Finally able to post after the Boards update!

Bit of a mad couple of weeks week an injury and holidays but here's how it went!:

Monday 21st June

2.9km - Calf niggle came up during the warm-up so left the session

Tuesday

20mins short S&C

6.5km walk

Thursday

5km @ 5:10/km avg

Friday

6km @ 5min pace

2km walk

Saturday

40km Cycle

Sunday

5.25km @ 5:05/km avg

Milage and intensity kept low this week due to the niggle. Physio booked in for the next week

Monday 28th June

Physio session: slight damage on the tendon near the tibia. 

No speed sessions for 1+ week - take it easy & play it by ear. Run when comfortable & report back.

Wednesday

5km (Grass) @ 4:49/km avg

1.5km walk/swim

Friday

25mins S&C

4km walk

Saturday

10km @ 5:10/km avg- starting to feel back to normal but with redcued fitness levels. Was very humid and had a jacket on, stupid decision.

Monday 5th July - Holiday week Mon - Fri

3km WU

6 x 10s Hill Sprints, walk down recovery

3km CD

Nice to have a session away in a new spot - down in Valentia Island, Kenmare & Youghal for the week.

Tuesday

3km wu

5 x 100m on/off

3km cd

Wednesday

6.3km @ 4:44/km avg

Thursday

Missed Thursday's session as I was traveling but managed over 10km walking.

Friday

6km @ 4:44/km avg. Legs feeling good.

6 hours driving today in total!

Saturday 10th July

Was aiming to get out for a 22/23km easy run.

Struggled from the start, with really heavy breathing and rhythm all over the place. Got sick just after 4km so I called it. Did some light 200m on/off on the way back - A bit too much food and drink on the holidays during the week I think

1 month since an update - partially due to Boards sh!tting itself!!

Tipping away nicely now and into the 20 mile runs the last 2 weekends. Signed up for the Ratoath Half Marathon on September 11th so hoping for a PB (sub 90) if I can get myself back to how I was running earlier this year.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/15324146

No update on Galway Full 2nd October from the organisers but I'm keeping the head down and will run (another) virtual if it comes to it.

Will get back to weekly / biweekly reports from next week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Hope your marathon gets the go ahead 👍3 weeks might be a little short on recovery time for Galway if you're planning a PB half marathon effort in Ratoath.

Thanks for the follow, some impressive running there J!!!

Yeah I agree it's a bit short but the coach gave me the push and seems to think it's ok, I'll blame him :D

• Advertisement

I seem to be using Strava as a daily log instead of this!! (I think with Boards down / being upgraded I was off for a while!)

Ended up doing Galway in 3:27, I wasn't 100% coming into it with some injuries in the training block and the flu in the week leading up to it, but it's a 66s PB and 46/7 minute official race PB.

Taking a few days' rest now / light walks before a 5km in Sandymount on the 26th of October. I'll probably tip over with 5/10km training/maintenance until the end of the year and get into another marathon block training in Jan/Feb for an April/May marathon. Name in the London 2022 lotto but won't know until February about that.

Advertisement