Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus tables conditional pay offer of 12%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

In terms of punctuality, they have been screwing up. Quite badly too. I know of at least one major Donnybrook 2 route where marked-in drivers have been warned that failure to improve (i.e. follow basic instructions, adhere to AVL and stop running early) could potentially result in it being lost next time it goes up for tender. For some reason, many senior drivers at DB seem to have huge problems with basic time-keeping, which the NTA has belatedly decided is an important part of running a bus service.

GAI aren't paying low wages - they compare well with the rest of the industry, especially with additional subsistence payments and bonuses included. And their drivers' basic take-home pay isn't a million miles from that of DB drivers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

I can't see there being much support for a strike as the economy tries to recover, especially when the union and company have recommended accepting the deal.

Honestly I can't even see the union supporting a ballot in industrial action.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,988 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i am aware go ahead pay almost similar wages to db, i am almost certain at the time they entered i said that they would end up doing so.

it's doubtful time keeping issues are down to drivers alone if even, something tells me the NTA would find a new operator may still have issues due to the usual reasons, ridiculous amounts of car traffic and still not enough bus priority measures etc.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

there is generally little support for transport strikes anyway but if, and it's a very big if, there was to be a strike then levels will be around the same given any of us who will generally be behind transport staff if they feel they need to withdraw their labour, aren't going to change that since we understand that individuals have to do what is best for them regardless of others, and they cannot be responsible for someone else's situation whatever that may be.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Not to be pointing fingers at anyone in particular, but there has been feck all traffic in the last 18 months due to Covid. If they couldn't keep to a schedule during the first 6 months of lock down, then the issue definitely wasn't traffic or lack of bus priority measures, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭john boye

He's no idea what he's on about. The issue above was drivers apparently not adhering to the en-route timing points, not being stuck in traffic.

If a bus is running more than a minute early for more than a couple of stops, it is 100% down to the driver to rectify that. And it's easy too, so there's no valid excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

In fairness I've often gone from Frederick Street on -4 minutes to +5when I hit Parnell Square and that's one stop

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I appreciate a bus arriving a leaving 5 minutes early is much worse than it being 10 or 15 minutes late, but how can the driver rectify that exactly? A lot of bus stops are not on lay byes and are along the road.

I think ideally all bus routes should have a dedicated lane along the entire route (fat chance) and then the bus could idle for minutes at a time if ahead of schedule.

It's not fair giving out to drivers for punctuality either (a separate issue, I know) when most delays are caused by parking in the bus lane, bus lane misuse, queueing in the bus lane, abusive passengers and DB management not implementing a flat fare.

Even if cash is still retained both the leap and cash fare should be flat. (Trams in Amsterdam still accept cash, albeit more expensively than the OV Chipkart).

Why don't we have real position in addition to real time?

The app could offer us the distance (by road) remaining until it reaches the stop you are at in addition to the remaining time (which I'm not very convinced is accurate and is more of a countdown timer based on the timetable than the actual status of the bus).

• Advertisement

It's easy to rectify - just wait slightly longer at bus stops, pull up closer to kerbs, kneel the bus, allow passengers to sit down before moving off. And bear in mind that the driver also knows their route extremely well, and therefore knows where they'll gain or lose time and also when there is a lay-by coming up, or a set of traffic lights that'll lose them a minute or two. There's also a screen above their head which tells them whether they're +1 (a minute early) or -1 (a minute late), so there's no excuse for running early for more than a minute or two.

Yes, the NTA and local councils could do a lot more to assist public transport, making buses quicker and timing easier to predict. Banning on-street parking spaces on all bus routes would be a start. Also, they could build bus lanes that are wide enough to accommodate a bus. They could also have traffic lights turn green as soon as possible when a bus approaches, or remain green until an approaching bus has passed through.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

"since we understand that individuals have to do what is best for them regardless of others"

eh, what? Society functions on the very basis of being aware that you need to have regard to others and how your actions impact on everyone not just yourself.

With that statement you just prove you are an entirely selfish and self centered person.

I'd feel sorry for anyone who lives on street.

Luckily in my house he have space for 4 cars (5 at a push), even at that they'd all be reversed in beside each other so no one would be blocking anyone in or out. I'd feel sorry for anyone who's lived on street and lost their only parking spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

Irish times reports a rejection of over 90%.

It was a bit more than 90% as what they are reporting

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The other PSO city bus operator in Dublin will be delighted with that I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

because if they strike the NTA can pull contract from DB for failure to deliver and retender. GA would be far more likely to win the than DB in such circumstance

No one in DB are even talking about a strike and sure go ahead are struggling to deliver a service as it is just look at its Twitter page where load of departures are not operating because of operating issues.

• Advertisement

So what happens next? No doubt They can go back to negotiating but I'm not sure how fruitful they could be given how far apart they seem to be?

Just for balance, I should probably point out that my two local DB routes have also had multiple cancellations the last few weeks. It's the same every summer.

Old document is to be torn up and back in for talks again I think

Oh I know there is routes cancelled everywhere..its normally happens this time of the year as people are on AL..I was just pointing out that GAI is not perfect plus I've worked for them so I know what it's like.

Oh I know that and I wasn't trying to say that one is any better than the other.

and pulling contracts because of a strike means both PSO operators are over all at risk long term as no doubt there will be a strike at go ahead down the line.

and of course as we know a strike is also not failure to deliver but a withdrawel of labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Kyriakos

I appreciate that this forum is mostly bus enthusiast’s and a few posters who actually work for DB, but I have noticed that many of the bus enthusiast’s have blinkers on and are certain they know everything and possibly more that those who work for DB about the inner working of DB.

There was a brief summation of the deal posted here, but it only skimmed over a few talking points , the devil is in the detail and it was not pretty so drivers rejected it 97.6% against.

The holiday increase element was a joke, currently clerical staff get 2 days more holidays than drivers, the deal offered a extra day at 20, 30 and 40 years, seeing as DB won’t hire you to drive if you are not 23 years old and retirement is 66, only a handful will get the 40 years and then get 1 day extra holiday for 3 years at best, it is seen as a pisstake.

The pay rise included 6% that was agreed to years ago, it was supposed to be paid out in January 2019, we were told it would be back dated, it’s not.

We see constantly here posters ranting about the marking in system, how it should be done away with as its not good for the spare drivers, well I hope that you do know that spare drivers outnumber marked in drivers and one of the parts of the deal that was voted on yesterday was to scrap the marking in system.

The new replacement system for marked in/spare is brutal, no one is happy, you might be aware of Bogie duties, well only some drivers like them, those who live near to the depot/city centre where these break, and they can go home, as you know many in Ireland commute 1+ hour to work each way, now imagine your work day was 4 hour work, 4 hours break and 4 hours work, we are looking at a 14+ hour day, the new “improved” system would have all drivers doing bogies,  now be honest would you be happy with that?  Work out how long your workday would be if you had to commute to the nearest DB depot and do a 12 hour bogie, not very appetising now is it?

The proposals have been totally rejected, I guess the few who voted in favour are coming up for retirement this year and would like a bigger pension, no one has an issue with them voting that way, we all would.

There is load more and you will see in the coming weeks and months, we now expect a wave of NTA PR about greedy bus drivers, truth be told the pay element was a distant second to the new rosters and work conditions.

As some here seem to be delighted at the prospect of the PSO contracts being pulled from DB , i will let you in on a little secret, DB drivers have ZERO worries about this, can you guess why? Its super simple, and no its not GA leaving the market.

Unpopular opinion alert

Issues like this will only hasten the arrival of autonomous buses.

Imagine the savings and improvements in the service for the customers if DB and GA did not have to spend such vast sums on drivers who, for the most part, are intransigent when it comes to improving the service.

Sure, autonomous buses won't be here this year or the next, but they will be here. The savings will be just too great to not adapt that technology

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

i can tell you, "down/across the country" there's a private operator running a city service and paying approx €10 less per per hour than what bus eireann pay once you are there on the top rate(i.e use to be what you got after 4 years, think it's 7 now before you get top rate).

now, the tax man eats up a lot of that pay potentially if you are in a relationship with someone else working but otherwise it's a pretty big difference. private operators will cut it to the bone whereever they can, promises won't be kept, corners will be cut.

the problem with all this is simple, we have employees with different "rights" some people in the service sector for example are not treated very well IMO whereas people in the civil service(generally) have paid sick,, days have a job title and that's all they do, no initiative needed, very hard to get sacked etc etc.

in the private sector for example you have H&S rules for 2 man lifts, but there's often not 2 men around but the job still needs doing... wouldn't happen in the civil service probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Kyleboy

Unpopular opinion alert.

This is nothing to do with improving the service for passengers, it's to do with eroding the working conditions of the driver's.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭PuddingBreath

people will need to be careful what they wish for, once all the drivers are gone for HGVs then there's a lot of jobs gone at rest stops etc. once all the cars are electric then you might aswell shut the ptrol stations. the batteries need to be a lot stronger so why bother stop mid route to charge your car for an hour or whatever.

when there's less jobs then what happens to the economy ? i don't think your average HGV driver can code very well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Because the whole idea for the transformation plan is to assist Dublin Bus with meeting the targets set by the NTA, so the NTA cannot invoke the clause that they have to tender routes where the existing operator does not meet their targets.

In addition, the Dublin Bus Transformational Agreement Document (link) that was posted earlier in this thread spells it out in black and white (well black and blue!) that this kind of transformational agreement is needed to ensure that Dublin Bus can remain competitive in any future tenders that may occur.

As has been stated before, I get that the drivers do not want to see some of their long held terms and conditions eroded away and that is totally understandable, but they also need to not look solely at this debate through the eyes of their terms and conditions versus what they were in the past. There's a bigger picture that needs to be considered here, which is clearly where the unions, who recommended the deal, are coming from.

It cannot just be business as usual and to carry on how things were before, because if that was to happen then DB would find it much harder to win any tenders and hold on to all the routes that they operate currently. This, could end up making the situation much worse for staff in the long term as there will be more drivers than there is work for and at least some drivers will probably have to seek work elsewhere, which we're told they really don't want to do.

So of course the likes of Go-Ahead, National Express, Transdev and First etc want this plan to fail. The last thing they want is a highly performing, efficient large operator like Dublin Bus competing with them for tenders in the future. They'd far rather be dealing with a Dublin Bus that hasn't achieved the metrics that it should have done because the reforms to help it deliver high levels of contractual performance and an efficient service have been blocked which will give those companies a much more favourable position.

The big question now of course is if the square can be circled and Dublin Bus, the Unions and the drivers can come to some compromise that will not impact on the ability of Dublin Bus to fulfil it's contract with the NTA. They need to do this whilst also ensuring that the organisation is transformed enough to ensure that should routes go up for tender in 2024, that it is able to submit a strong bid based on excellent levels of contract performance and an efficient service.

Advertisement