Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Herd immunity is not going to happen

• 11-08-2021 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭

I'll preface what I'm going to write by saying the vaccines remain extremely effective at reducing severe covid, hospitalisation and of course death. Get vaccinated.

This is a good definition of herd immunity from Wikipedia

Herd immunity (also called herd effect, community immunity, population immunity, or mass immunity) is a form of indirect protection from infectious disease that can occur with some diseases when a sufficient percentage of a population has become immune to an infection, whether through vaccination or previous infections, thereby reducing the likelihood of infection for individuals who lack immunity. Immune individuals are unlikely to contribute to disease transmission, disrupting chains of infection, which stops or slows the spread of disease. The greater the proportion of immune individuals in a community, the smaller the probability that non-immune individuals will come into contact with an infectious individual.

That is simply not going to occur due to delta (and potentially other variants), with our current vaccines.

Fully vaccinated people can and frequently will get infected. And they can and frequently will infect others in due course.

The herd immunity ship has sailed. If we don't update the vaccines and start to get them into everybody's arms all over again, then there is literally no chance of reaching herd immunity via vaccination.

It doesn't matter, from a herd immunity standpoint, whether a country gets to 80 or 90 percent of their population fully vaxxed. It's hugely important in terms of hospitalisation and death, but we are nowhere near herd immunity.

So my question is, how in the name of **** are we going to protect those that are non-immune now? I think acceptance of this has been really slow, though it is starting to sink in.

I've got no idea, other than starting again with a brand new vax. And I don't think that's going to be popular or if it's even doable.

Comments

Advertisement