Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From a Christmas Pudding to a Christmas Cracker - Weight Loss Motivation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

I am up a huge amount from my perfect weight which I see as 82-84kg. 80kg is attainable but don't want to kill myself as I have to be realistic. I got to 77kg mid December but the last 3kg and three weeks were a nightmare. I am setting up a new firm with my old boss at the moment from scratch so I am working crazy hours, looking after all the admin, office fit-out, bank loans, visas etc. I could use that excuse to let it slide further, my go Ive let it slide now. But I need to be in good shape to do deal with the stress.

I rolled off the plane for week 1 at 90.4kg

Week 2: 89.7kg - -0.7kg/1.54lbs

I am not going as strict as previous so the loss will be slower. I don't have time for meal prep and weighting each item. I also have no idea when I can do to the gym. Added to that I broke a metatarsal in my foot a few weeks ago which means I cannot run and have to keep my steps down. So its diet and weights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Jude, I know I've said this before, sometimes you need to avoid the candle burning at both ends, with the new business set up there's more than enough stress in that alone so I'd not be beating myself up too much until that's settled down a tad. Obviously try to avoid the clear dangers of piling on more weight and try to get some exercise (even if it is weights) but I'd not be killing myself either, that leads to burn out & melt down which is just self defeating ultimately. You'll get there again, but for now, look at the priorities of the here & now & take care of yourself.

FWIW i'm killing myself in the gym atm, was down 5 times in the last week and 3 times alone over the weekend but am still counter balancing that with ice cream & fruit cake of an evening... I know my fitness is improving but it isn't showing on the scales yet so really do need to cop on & cut out the snacking. I've done something to a nerve in my arm that's really bugging me the last couple of months (feels like I've smacked my funny bone, only constant) and whilst its not impacting me using weights it seems to stiffen up my lower arm very quickly, may need to bite the bullet & get it looked at.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Jude, would echo what DvB said, it's trying to find that balance between wanting to work on your fitness and having other pressing priorities. It's a fine line and not easy to get it right however over doing it will only make things harder.

I know, you know this already, however sometimes it can be hard to see the woods from the trees as they say!

@DvB- again, I know I'm telling you what you already know, you should definitely get your arm checked out. Last thing you want is it to get worse and stop you from going to the gym, especially as you are really getting into it.

Cheers elves for the guidance, all agreed. I will not be doing the dog on it like I did last September to December when I lost 18kg. I will take it much easier.

DvB I used to do the 5 times a week at the gym (I equate gym to weights) however found that when I had the trainer that I killed it three times a week and got better rests. In reality I pushed very hard on those three days so needed the days to recover as a consecutive day would have been a waste as I'd be unable to lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

😂😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Gym bad, food bad, weight up. I started taking my chest and waist measurements 5 weeks ago because the scales isn't moving as much as I'd hoped. I don't check them every week but I checked again this evening and between both I'm down a combined 12.2cm. I know that's kind of double counting but it's cheered me up. I wish I did it back at week 0

23 Weeks: -10.2lbs

Week 24: +2.6lbs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Week 1: -3lbs

Week 2: -2.5lbs

Week 3: -4lbs

Week 4: +1.5lb

Week 5: -3lbs

Week 6: -0.5lb

No surprise here. Busy in work, lack of sleep and diet was fairly ok. Still lost is the main thing but need to push harder this week.

I really admire ye all for keeping a log! I'm not weighing myself this week just as a little kindness to myself. I've done fairly crap so far at getting into a routine. My sleep pattern suffered a lot this week, which has a knock on effect on my appetite. Long hours and a long week at work, I don't have much time to get food organized so I grab what's convenient when I do eat. It makes me wonder how do people manage a routine when it involves work, kids, partner, exercise/gym, sleep, chores, down time etc. Please teach me your secrets 😅

Eskie the log is painful but serves a purpose. When I went from 95kg to 77kg last year there was just stubbornness, no real secret.

On the weight side of things there is no real secret diet, just science. Its Cals in vrs cals out. You need to be in a deficit.

Whether you find one meal a day does that, or 'fasting' for X number hours, keto, they all just equate to a calorie deficit so pick one that suits you. None are magic, the goal is always a calorie deficit.

If you are in a calorie deficit and not losing weight then you are most likely kidding yourself and need to weight each item of food to ensure you are in deficit. There are some exceptions which affect 0.00001% of the worlds population but unless you've won the euromilllions a few times I wouldn't think about that.

In relation to time you have to be selfish. Also, something has to give. At present I just could not do the level of training and dieting that I did last year. It would affect my work. I work in a weird backwards sphere where nights/dinners out are a must. It is very difficult. I didn't drink last year for three months and it was tough but it worked, though I started to not get invited to things as I wasn't drinking. In the last few weeks last year to drop the last 3kg I wasn't nice to be around.

In short get in a calorie deficit.

Weigh all your food.

No booze.(or at least just vodka lime and soda)

Schedule each day. Mine was up at 4:45am/5am for gym, work for 7:30. Try to get home by 7:30pm for tuck in time. Bed at 9:30pm.

Also I am doing none of the above at the moment and not looking forward to this weeks weight in after two nights out and take aways.

• Advertisement

I'm down a single pound this week... 4 gym sessions in the week too and I pushed myself hard in them all... looks like it'll be a closer look at the diet so.

"I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I find diet so much harder when I’m going to the gym regular. I’m definitely hungrier and I find it easier to justify treats when I know I’m gonna work some of it off

Genuinely thought I'd done well on the diet side though, had cut out the between meals snacks but did have a couple of ice cream wafers so clearly have been deluding myself. Have to try harder this week.

A loss is a loss though. 4 days in the gym and down 1lb would def show more in your appearance. Do you ever take measurements?

No. I generally use the metric of how my clothes fit me. And one things clear is that my shape has already changed in the 5 weeks I've been going the gym. More room generally and my upper chest has definitely toned a tad. Happy enough with my progress but I suppose I wanted to see something on the scales to massage the ego 😉

Week 1 at 90.4kg

Week 2: 89.7kg - -0.7kg/1.54lbs

Week 3: 88.2kg - -1.5kg/3.01lbs

This weight in is an anomoly, I sweated a huge amount yesterday so its at least half water weight which has to come back on. Plus I have a lunch out tomorrow and then on Wednesday drinks. If at week 4 I am the same weight as week 3 I will see that as a win.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Take it as a win Jude. -4.5lbs in 2 weeks is great going.

Agree. I'd love to have achieved those kind of figures considering my sacrifices to the cause 🤣

Will be going hard at it this week on both the gym & diet fronts to see if that helps me start eating (pardon the pun) into those last few pounds to get to my goal.

Good to hear all doing well and getting losses, big or small.

I've gone the opposite direction the last couple of weeks however not too worried as probably over did it a bit and was getting too thin. A couple of people mentioned that my face looked v thin 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

I’m in a very odd situation at the moment. Everything fell apart for me the last year. Again. I was so tired of rebounding when my husband was referred to the bariatric team I asked to be too. I just couldn’t do working so hard and then eventually rebounding worse than ever like I have been doing for years

So now I’m in the weird situation where I can’t actually lose weight right now or I will no longer qualify (it’s based on BMI). I’ve got a lot of work to do for my headspace between now and the new year as well as appointments to do. I meet the dietician in three weeks time. In the meantime I’m trying to keep my weight stable, no gain, no loss. And I really want to improve my fitness before surgery as I’ll be starting from a better base. It also won’t have much effect on my weight but will on my well-being! I’ve joined the pool and my step count will jump once school returns. I’ll be trying to get out for walks in the evening too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Segotias

As someone who has had bariatric surgery I would think very long and hard on this before going ahead, its a tool which can be worked around and weight can be gained. It can also make weight loss very difficult as time goes on as your body adapts to lower calories.

When I got it done there was no psychological assessment etc which for some is essential as some I know who've also had bariatric surgery when they couldn't comfort eat turned to alcohol or drugs, I hope in addition to the dietician they will also have you talk to a counsellor so you are in the best frame of mind going ahead. Good luck

Thanks Jude, what I struggle with is routine, and not having enough energy/motivation to keep active. I'm just not stubborn enough at the moment to push through.

Tomorrow I'll be stubborn though, I'm setting my alarm early to start day 1 of couch to 5k, I usually bring the dog for her walk in the morning but I'm going to go earlier so that no one sees me attempt to run 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Thank you. Yes I have a full set of tests to do (not going abroad for this reason). Psychologist, endocrinologist, dietician, sleep study etc. I have also queried (and had it confirmed) that the dietician will work with the whole family not just me. We’ll see how that goes

ETA: I’m not going into this thinking it’s a cure all in case I came across that way. I’m well aware obesity is a life long condition and one I will always have to work on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Week 1: -3lbs

Week 2: -2.5lbs

Week 3: -4lbs

Week 4: +1.5lb

Week 5: -3lbs

Week 6: -0.5lb

Week 7: -3lbs

This is definitely a bit of last week Carried over. Got more sleep this week and watched the calories more tightly. I won’t pat myself on the back too soon.

My PT cancelled this morning so I need to go for a run tonight to get something done and I’m away this weekend for 2 nights so the diet will be out the window haha.

I’m averaging 2lbs loss a week now which I’m happy with.

if i read that correctly you're over a stone down now, that's fantastic work loughc. Well done.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong with me though, have been killing it in the gym (did so again last night with a great session) and have been eating healthily since the weekend and have actually gone up in weight... short of eating nothing I'm struggling to see what's going on tbh... just have to stick with it... that or have a really big poo!!

Are drinking enough fluids (non alcoholic :))? Water retention due to not drink enough can lead to weigh increase or lack of loss.

Between coffee & water I'm drinking plenty. To be fair I know I haven't really got much to lose so losing anything at thsi stage is difficult, but still, i'm a little disappointed that I'm actually going up rather than even just maintaining. I know I've upped the weights a bit but still.

Anyway... just need to stick at it, I'm definitely feeling my fitness increasing so that's a definite positive. I'm back to running 10k in around 50 minutes which for my age & injury history I'm more than pleased with.

Great loss Loughc! DvB start weighing you food and do your macros to make sure you're in a deficit.

Had a shake for breakfast and a salad for lunch, then undid it all with a rake load of pints and a takeaway.

• Advertisement

Was pretty sure you would be, anyone with a sports history/ background knows the importance of hydration. Just though I would mention it.

The only other thing i can think of is that muscle is heavier than fat, so as you do more weights you are replacing fat with muscle, so weigh doesn't change much however you are in better shape.

Advertisement