Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

VAT exemption on items under €22 from outside EU disappearing on 1 July 2021

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭davetherave

Could be that Ali Express are collecting it, but the individual sellers themselves aren't including the IOSS number in the customs declaration so Revenue have no evidence that the package has come from a retailer/company that is registered for VAT and it has been collected at the point of sale.

https://service.aliexpress.com/page/knowledge?pageId=37&category=1000021915&knowledge=1060863305&language=en

For all goods shipped from outside of EU and VAT-collected by AliExpress, our sellers and their logistics operators will need to include the Import One Stop Shop (IOSS) number of AliExpress in their import declaration into EU, this is to ensure that the goods can then be released for free circulation and delivered to you without being charged with VAT or any additional handling fees at the customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

So how does one proceed to appeal this double charge? I mean it may look like chump change but given that it can happen to hundreds of people daily it amounts to a considerable amount not to mention anpost 3.50 charge applied where there should have been none?

Do you need to contact the seller to provide you Import One Stop Shop (IOSS) number for your order where you already paid tax and you need then to appeal the second charge made by anpost who will hold your package for 16 days until you pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

If you pay the VAT to anpost where it is already paid to ALI, you paying VAT on VAT. MY SOLUTION ...

If we all start claiming a 100% refund from AliExpress for packages without the IOSS info, it will force AliExpress to enforce proper labelling on the part of their sellers.

If this happens, will anpost be forced to return the packages to Asia or will they destroy them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭patnor1011

I just order stuff which they ship from EU warehouses - they primarily use Netherlands and Spain. I got few packages with sticker I do not remember what it said exactly. It was something in a sense - "we know where this came from and it should be taxed...", but since it was posted from Netherlands, attaching that sticker was the most they could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,415 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Interestingly enough I had ordered an audio cable from Ali Express on the 9th of July paid the vat on checkout and arrived today but no markings or value declaration on it and was posted from the netherlands, now it looks like it was repackaged in the nethlands and forwarded on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Wiktoriaaa_3756

I ordered a party stuff from Aliexpress and paid tax but the Irish revenue wants me to pay custom charges. I can bear the €3.50 but where is the €8 come from (attached pic).

Vat already paid:

I need this stuff because I want to do a birthday party for my 2 year old. So in total I have to pay almost the same amount for the customs as for the product I ordered and paid for. It's so annoying 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Netherlands works fine as does post be, my lates unfortunately just came via bloody arab emirates like that somehow going to help

Looks totally wrong, when I queried one they said it was based on electronic information received by revenue from alixpress and there was nothing they could do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 maniaxx88

I ordered headphone earpads from Aliexpress for 3 Euro and got the text from Anpost as well ... They are charging 52 Cent tax + 3.50 handling fee 😂 I think there is no point in arguing with Anpost so I will refuse to pay and send it back. Aliexpress will only refund double paid tax but not admin fees...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

The AnPost admin fee is way too high!

It should be something like 20c as all they do is send an automated email looking for payment and then process it so how can that cost €3.50 for a 50c VAT payment?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They do customs clearance on it and pay out the VAT. It would be much more sensible to charge more for this and stop increasing the price of stamps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

€3.50 is very reasonable compared to DHL (€14.50), FedEx (€15) and UPS (€18.45).

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭andrewfaulk

All the more so for the work involved.. There is more to customs clearance than sending an email asking for payment.. An Post probably pay less at the have big volumes but most IT providers charge ~€1 per entry processed on their platform plus you have to pay the wages of the people processing the entries and liasing with customs.. I would imagine an Post are returning stuff without the right info as it is not worth the admin nightmare of getting the correct info to complete a customs entry ..

Not sure if any post do this, but most consolidators allow you to file your own customs clearance if you have a problem paying their fee for the service

But who is going to be using DHL etc for cheap Ali tack.

Pretty much Nobody!

So not that relevant.

You'd have to hope that aliexpress can get their sellers to properly put the IOSS number in the QR code on items over the next couple of months...

I don’t think the problem is the IOSS being physically on the item.. It’s the information not being transferred electronically to an post from the postal operator in China or whoever.. An post don’t actually physically check every box or even present them to a customs officer like a lot of people think..

I've read into this from eBay sellers conforming to the new rules and the key for them is getting the eBay IOSS number into a QR code or bar code which is scanning by the receiving country.

So it's hardly a jump to assume that it works the same way here as eBay and AliExpress are both platforms

Postal items are all scanned these days.

Even if there is another purely electronic record sent the physical item has to be matched to that, through you guessed it, scanning the code.

Yes, an post get the info for the shipment when they do the arrival scan to the bar code on the parcel.. But maybe the IOSS isn’t integrated with the shipping info and is on a separate bar code or QR code that is being over looked.. I don’t think An post even use QR codes, which coincidentally are very popular in China..

well ebay uk is advising people to use its own label printout or the royal mail service for Europe with the new regulations which .... produces a QR Code and a bar code one of which definitely contains the IOSS number of ebay so could be in either or both

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

I'm just curious if anyone else is getting crazy customs values on their imported items.

I had a package arriving from the USA, valued at $50.00, this was the correct price and not a made up one and clearly printed on the outside of the package and detailing what was inside the package. Revenues own website says the exchange rate they'd be using for August is €1.00 = $1.1772, so unless my figures are completely wrong, then here is were the serious issue is being made and they are in effect robbing their own citizens.

The value of the package upon arrival into Dublin should have been priced in euros at €42.47. However, Customs decided to value the package at €61.92.

After overvaluing my item, the charges didn't even stop there. The vat rate of 23% (on an overcharged valuation) would bring vat owed to the state at €14.24. Then the €3.50 an post fee would bring total amount owed to €17.74. However, upon receiving notification that vat was owed, I was presented with a bill saying I owed €22.35.

I can't reach that figure whatever way I do the maths. So, not only have they f**ked me over on overvaluing the package, they seem to have done it on the vat as well. If I'm wrong on those figures, I'll stand corrected if someone can figure it out.

I've no problems paying vat on any items I import, but I do have a problem with the items contents being overvalued when the price is clearly stated on the outside of the package and on an invoice inside the package had they bothered to check. I'll not be ordering any other stuff from outside the EU in the near future if this is the carry on that's happening with items being imported. It's fu*cking outright greed and a total p!ss take to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

You pay vat on postage & insurance too. ~€20 (61.92-42.47) postage charge from the US Don't know about the final figure

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭shocksy

So, they make up a postage fee if none is shown? There was no insurance on the package. They helped themselves to €19.45 on a postage fee? Absolute joke. They'll not get another penny from me anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭zell12

I'm sure there is an explanation for the final figure. Contact AnPost and ask for a breakdown of the charges

• Registered Users Posts: 20,453 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

This is the relevant bit from the Sticky thread. Someone must know how much the postage was.

The calculation for VAT includes the cost of postage. So if you buy an item for €10, and postage costs €40, then the total is €50 and you pay VAT on that amount. VAT is applied at 23% to the total amount, unless the item you are buying is VAT exempt, or classed at the lower rate of VAT. Duty rates vary, and often it is not even applied at all (except for special rate items like cigarettes and alcohol which are liable to Excise duty).

Discounts are ignored for purposes of calculating charges for customs

How did they help themselves to €19.45 on a postage fee?

(61.92-42.47) = 19.65 or mabye 20 with exchange rate differences

so they valued postage at €20 and charged €4.61 VAT on that

VAT has always been payable on postage fees

If you can prove that the postage cost less than €20 you should be able to claim the difference back

You haven't said what the actual postage fee was?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I brought some vinyl from the uk (juno) for my brother, they charged 19.31 for EU vat and Fed ex delivery was 23.50, total order was 103.29, Fed ex are now looking for import duty 26.07, Is this correct ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

This is all just a scam to reduce the workload on An Post and other mail services around Europe who had previously complained about inundation of parcels from outside the EU, especially China.

Did the seller provide the IOSS number to Fedex?

if not that could explain why Fedex are trying to collect import duty which is VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 45 ObiTwoKenobi

I know the €22 exemption was recently done away with in July and some time after that I bought a small USB/bluetooth receiver from Aliexpress for €1.13 plus shipping. Today I got a notification from An Post that the customs charge on it is 25 cents plus the "processing" fee of €3.50 in order to receive a delivery. There is a link in the e-mail to pay the charges online so I don't understand why it costs €3.50 if the process is automated.

I've no problem to pay the duty/vat etc as that is the law but am I being unreasonable to suggest we're being screwed by An Post for the charges.

They can throw it in the trash.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Its your money, An Post won't care. EU stated that all consignments must be cleared. It doesn't matter to Clearance agents what the value is, be it €1 or €100;

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,964 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Not sure, I've tried getting in touch with Juno twice now and both my messages have been ignored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭eirman

If you check your aliexpress transaction details you will see that you paid VAT.

If the seller did not provide the IOSS number it's their problem.

You ought to request a 100% refund from ALI and let AnPost do what they want with the package.

Advertisement