Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Pregnancy Chat Thread!

1173174175176177179»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 joanneryan92

Hey everyone! So I just found out I'm pregnant and my doctor told me I should stop taking my supplements and only take Folic Acid? (Until I'm 12 -14 weeks)

I take Vitamin C, D, B & Calcium! Any thought on this?

I find vitamin c so good for your immune system especially with Covid around!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jellybear

Hey everyone! So I just found out I'm pregnant and my doctor told me I should stop taking my supplements and only take Folic Acid? (Until I'm 12 -14 weeks)

I take Vitamin C, D, B & Calcium! Any thought on this?

I find vitamin c so good for your immune system especially with Covid around!

We can't give medical advice here but I would encourage you to listen to your doctor. Make sure to ask them any questions about vitamins etc, if you want clarification or don't understand their advice.
    Many women take a specific multivitamin when pregnant. I took pregnacare. Some find it makes their nausea worse but I found it fine.
    Also, there are plenty of natural ways to get different vitamins through foods :)

Best of luck with your pregnancy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Some studies have shown that there is actually little benefit to taking a multi vitamin so perhaps that is what your GP was referring to? A balanced diet should be enough. Also a lot of women find it makes their nausea worse.

I just take folic acid and vitamin D. I take the vitamin D routinely anyway even when not pregnant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi ladies,

Just wondering if anyone has had a cervical cerclage before? I am booked for one at 13 weeks and am wondering what to expect in terms of how long it takes and how long you were in hospital that day for or recovering?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Poissy

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone could answer the following query, was in the hospital today but didn't think to ask.

I'm due my first baby early Jan 2022. If I go by the date of my last period, I'm currently 8 weeks pregnant.
    However, I have long cycles and I ovulated 2 weeks late, which means I'm actually only 6 weeks pregnant.

I had an early scan today due to spotting and it was confirmed that baby is measuring 6 weeks.
    However the printout of the scan I got says I'm 8 weeks.

In terms of my future scans, does anyone know what dates they will go by?
    For example, will they call me for my 12 week scan when I'm only 10 weeks pregnant?

Thanks for any insight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

The "12 week scan" is actually your booking appointment scan, it can be done any time between 10- 14 weeks depending on the hospital. They will go with the size of baby but will take note of your own dates too. They plot your due date from the scan, not your date.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Poissy

The "12 week scan" is actually your booking appointment scan, it can be done any time between 10- 14 weeks depending on the hospital. They will go with the size of baby but will take note of your own dates too. They plot your due date from the scan, not your date.

That makes sense, thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Poissy wrote: »
    That makes sense, thank you.

Best of luck. Early spotting can be terrifying but stay in the lovely bubble- it is a very exciting time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭scarepanda

From my experience, once the booking scan confirms your scan from today that's the date that will be used going forward.

I was in a similar situation as you dates wise with my last. I booked a private scan for around 8.5 weeks going by period dates, this scan confirmed my dates that I was around 6.5 weeks. With the clinic I went to they have a policy (not sure if it's a requirement or just something they do) that they will rescan if there's a difference of 15+ days with dates and scan. I was re scanned which confirmed my dates. My booking scan was done around 11 weeks as my GP had already sent on the paperwork to the hospital. But once I showed the hospital the print out I had from the private clinic and that confirmed their scan, this was the new due date going forward and the rest of my appointments were at the right time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭Milly33

Just looking for some advice but a friend is getting very bad morning sickness or all day sickness. 3 months pregnant and has been perscribed Cariban? Just worried incase it might not be safe etc or any other recommendations would be welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Bobsammy

I took it through two pregnancies with hyperemesis. I couldn't have functioned without it. I had no worries about taking it, a number of doctors assured me it was completely safe. It does make you extremely tired when you take it first but your system will adjust to it before long. Apart from that I had no ill effects and it made life liveable. The sickness and nausea was unbearable without it.

It's very expensive, I would advise pricing it in a number of pharmacies.

Thank you so much Bobsammy!! It is a first pregnancy so you can imagine the worry with everything..I was one of the annoying ones with nothing like this happening just bad heartburn which I thank someone for everyday. I did see that while doing a quick search is it close to 45 euro? That is mad, making more money of something surprise surprise...

thanks again i shall report all back

It's really hard - my first pregnancy I didn't know what to expect and really didn't realise for quite a while that I was extremely sick, far more than is normal. I thought I was being a baby, everyone else manages so why couldn't I. But the medication made a huge difference - although I did still end up hospitalised with dehydration at various stages.

On the plus side I had two very straightforward labours and two babies who slept through the night at 6 weeks so it really is swings and roundabouts with these things.

The cost of the Cariban is ridiculous - I worked out that between the two pregnancies it cost me nearly €2k, especially because I had to take it for much longer in my second pregnancy. If she knows anyone who might be travelling to Spain you can get it a lot cheaper over there. A friend managed to stock me up just before Covid hit and I was very grateful.

I came back to add the best piece of advice I was giving by my consultant. Eat and drink whatever you can keep down, baby will get what it needs and now is not the time to be worrying about a balanced diet - anything at all getting into your system is more important.

I found it hugely reassuring when I was existing on salt and vinegar crisps.

thanks again Bobsammy passed on all to my friend

• Advertisement
Advertisement