Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Superintending 2021

15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭galwayhooker

Still no sign of payment for me over 6 weeks later!! A few people I know got paid and others still waiting. Rang the financial section in SEC and told to send an email. Ridiculous that this happens - in no other job would you be waiting over 6 weeks later to get paid. A lot of teachers on half pay do superintending to bulk up pay in summer and have bills to pay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No reason why there could not have been an advance either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

It's ridiculous there was no advance, it takes the sting out of how long the payment takes. The correcters were told 18 days from receipt of the paperwork, wildly optimistic I'd imagine given the superintendents are still waiting. You'd think they'd just hire some temporary staff given its a yearly issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭williaint

I posted my form of account 30th June and they received it the following day (I checked with them) yet still no sign of payment. They told me 30 working days which it def will be by the end of this week...how many others are still waiting?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

My wife emailed them recently enquiring about her payment. She was told that she had filled in her form incorrectly and they needed further information from her, after which her payment can be made.

Odd that she had to make contact with them to enquire after money, rather than the SEC informing her of the problem with her submission.

If you are still waiting maybe contact them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The response to my email was

We aim to pay claims 30 days ( working days) from receipt of your completed form of account received into the Financial Section, and we received yours on the 1st July, 2021.

We aim to - sure that could mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭chases0102

Exact same here - still no sign. Bit much really!

I wonder is it just a very small minority of us though who are still waiting - as VFT on FB are on holidays it's hard to know. All of my friends / colleagues have been paid.

Post edited by williaint on

It happens a bit too often really. To me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I don’t understand why they made the promise to pay people so quickly this year. I presume it was to appease us over the lack of an advance. I would be expecting slow payment in line with other years if they didn’t say anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Because they are **#*#* , people still waiting for payment for Spring provision from last April !!! Loads of people asking about it before applying on an SEN Facebook forum, I felt like telling them to consider it as charity work and expect to not get paid on time ('payment on time' is usually 4 months after), and if they do they'll invariably **** up what's owed to them.

Honestly, if you have a small run-around car you would be better off delivering pizzas for a few evenings.

Dealing with the department of education will take years off your life. If the 'department of education' were a student in my class they'd have been expelled after one week.

They gave 18 working days as the aim on the correcting. This is clearly lies so why even say it. I might just email them in advance and ask for a realistic timeframe.

31 working days now, 43 actual days.

They wonder why they can't get people to work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

Are you allowing for the bank holiday? (Joking… not joking)

Do they pay people on any day other than Friday?

Yes, I allowed for the Bank Holiday.

I normally correct and it was always Fridays it reached my account, though I would sometimes get the letter before.

Presumably next week at the earliest now, which will be a lot more than 30 days, working or otherwise. They should have just shut up with any of their promises.

It's ridiculous. The lack of an advance will put a lot of people off as there are outlays even if you are not paying an attendent. Is there a reason the union never really mentions this? Seems like an issue really.

Yeah. I'd agree on saying nothing. I laughed at the 18 working days on the correcting info, clearly not true

From Revenue, it looks like something may be going in sometime soon.

As usual, despite having arranged the tax stuff in advance (perhaps I am doing it wrong) they have whopped 40% tax off me.

As if I ever get anywhere near the limits for 40% tax. You have to laugh (and yes, I know I will get it back eventually).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Still waiting for payment here too. Any of my friends who I have complained about it to have just said 'at least you know it's coming' as if that is somehow acceptable.

Had a tradesperson in the house yesterday. Imagine me saying to him at the end of the job, "yeah I'll have the money for you mid-October"

Outrageous

Money went into my account overnight.

34 working days, 7 full weeks after they received the form.

I also got paid today for the superintending, finally! I do think it was well paid this year though compared to doing orals or correcting written papers. Listening to 80 oral exams at the weekend and marking them was way more work for less money. I didn't have to bring any work home with me and apart from some admin, I felt it was easy money. Just be prepared to wait 2 months to be paid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

For some reason Superintending is always paid much 'faster' than marking. Some earlier subject marking was finished within a week or so of the last supervision exam but is paid months afterwards.

Was there any committement to when correcting would be paid? I can't remember with all the spin.

Im on working day 33 now. Still waiting. Have contacted them by email today. Trying to see the bigger picture and not get too irate.

@williaint am hoping the net figure will make up for the annoyance of having to wait for so long!!

I am now waiting 37 working days. Jesus wasn't as long in the desert

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The appointment letters for marking also said 18 working days from receipt of claim form. For me I would expect to be paid on the 8th September. I don't believe that will actually happen.

Are you counting the Sprioc La as the day you finished? I sent my paperwork off a day or two before then!

But yeah, 18 days sounds like lies for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

No, I sent mine in about 2 weeks after I finished.

We sent ours to the advising examiner who sends them all in one go. I think the earliest I've ever been paid is about 8 weeks after I finished so 18 working days seems like a massive change.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Forgot to update this thread but I'm both shocked and delighted to report that I was paid on Thursday. Forms submitted to SEC with Advisor circa 6th July I'd say. This was about 30 days after receipt if you give 2 days for posting etc.

Never been paid this early and am thrilled. I think we all knew 18 days was totally unrealistic, especially when you see the pressure they are under in Athlone, and working late etc. Hope everyone else gets theirs soon.

Ah that gives me some hope. It has been a little better this year, I remember when I started and the cut from the recession were still in place......correcting got you the Christmas presents ☺️

• Advertisement

Was anyone else left short of a 'distribution day'?

Because they got me to switch centre at the last minute (and I had already collected my initial box the day before), I had to get up mad early and drive across the country the morning of the first exam to meet with an SEC person and check my 'new' box, before taking it to my centre. I was assured I could claim it as a distribution day, but only verbally of course, so they jibbed me out of that fee and just paid mileage.

I am raging.

Advertisement