Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new GP policy.. only one ailment per visit

• 06-08-2021 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

this is copied from my local GP facebook page... crazy stuff

this is Carrickmacross Group practice, essentially a monopoly in the town

You cannot get an appointment in less than a week..they wont answer the phone (you have to physically go there to even get an appointment)..

are these guys drunk on Covid heroics and money?

New Surgery Policy

One Problem Per Consultation policy

One appointment = one patient + one problem

We kindly ask that all patients try and stick to our ‘One Problem Per Consultation’ policy. The main reason for this request is for Patient Safety.

We know that getting an appointment with the doctor is sometimes difficult and that some patients ‘save’ their problems and present them to the doctor at the same time, with or without a list. We also know that the doctor may run late. All of this increases the tendency for patients to present multiple problems to their doctor at one consultation.

We do consider that GP appointments are a limited resource and we would kindly ask that such a service be used with care and consideration.

Therefore, please do not be offended if the doctor asks you to rebook for your other problems. We are working in your best interests in order to keep you safe.

So, we would ask, that you consider what issue you wish to discuss with your doctor, before your appointment. Feel free to state ( that you have other problems but that you will book further appointment to discuss and they are... but today my main issue is....)

Thank you

God Help Us.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

They did that at our GP a few years ago.

We just went to a new one in the next town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭Allinall

Get a new GP.

Mine has no problem with multiple issues. Value for money is important.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I rarely go to my gp. When I have an issue I also get three ongoing minor things checked out.

I won't pay for a check up of a minor skin condition or something like that. When I visit I check them out.

Similarily my Dad's GP insists on seeing him every 9-12 months to renew rolling prescriptions. If he is going up they will talk about the blood tests and the conditions that he is on prescriptions for.

I do note that there's a definite problem of not enough GPs so I can understand them trying to limit the time they spend per patient but patients can go to other practices.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,058 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Presumably they'll charge you fully for each consultation. Sounds like a racket to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Is this new? I thought it came in when we started to let kids show up for free.

• Advertisement

Free GP care takes the sting out of having to make multiple appointments for multiple ailments. But for the average Joe who has to shell out €50 or €60 a go to attend the GP this is ridiculous. This policy could even make people even less likely to attend their GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

what's the problem here, isn't a GP free to run her practice as she sees fits?

Clearly the problem is that you have to pay each time to discuss an ailment. This policy means that that small thing that was niggling at someone might not be brought to the attention of the GP and could turn out to be something nasty and not get caught early. I don't know about you but if I had 2 or 3 things to discuss with a GP I wouldn't have €150+ to throw at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

This sounds very concerning given that most individuals are in no position to know whether their various "complaints" are actually separate, or are in fact a collection of symptoms indicative of one particular condition. Is the doctor hoping to engage in some sort of diagnositic game using clues revealed gradually over a series of visits, akin to something off a gameshow where an image is gradually revealed?

There are fretting parents who would have the child in twice a week if they could!

I was also told, via a friend's anecdote from their GP, that some people were showing up with multiple complaints and gumming up the system. The argument seemed to be that only one ailment at a time kept the queue moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Citrus_8

GP should be free or at least twice cheaper as in other civilised European countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

My GP is the opposite. I go in for one thing and he insists on a full checkup and does bloods etc

How does a GP know that a number of separate symptoms aren't adding up to a more serious issue. Dealing with one ailment at a time and not looking at a patient holistically strikes me as a very odd approach by a doctor.

Also that anecdote doesn't make sense. A person shows up with 4 complaints and gets dealt with in one appointment or they are sent away to come back for multiple appointments, but you think the single appointment approach is gumming up the system as opposed to having them coming back repeatedly?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭sekond

One of the other problems is that the "main" reason for the appointment isn't often the real reason/issue. People will often say "oh I just want to talk to the doctor about renewing a prescription/my blood pressure" but actually once they are sitting there, and have gone through the motions of the prescription renewal and have relaxed a bit, they'll bring up the real issue (often something a bit harder to talk about). My GP has a note along the lines of asking people to keep to one thing for the most part and that time is limited, but understanding that there may be other issues, and to indicate to the receptionist if they think they may need a longer appointment. It seems to work, I've always been seen within 10 minutes of my appointment time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Have to say that's extraordinary. I get Gp"s have been under serious pressure and lots of reports on how difficult it is to get through to surgeries and get an appointment but this is just extraordinary. At the same time people being told to avoid A&E and 1000"s of dentist no longer seeing medical card patients

I see others have suggested getting a new GP, that to near impossible and particularly if your a medical card holder.

It's really quite alarming what is going on under the radar.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

As I understood it , it was also to do with the time taken per appointment and opportunistic and sometimes non-existent symptoms. Holistic is fine but if they keep coming back with multiple symptoms the GP is not doing their job and would be better passing them on to someone who can.

Yes but that's not what's under discussion here. If a doctor has someone constantly coming back to them with the same thing and there's is nothing they can do, then the doctor needs to have a word with them and deal with that situation. I'd imagine the majority of people go to their GP to discuss genuine health concerns and not just go along for the craic.

This practice from the OP will only deal with one ailment at a time and send you away for further appointments for anything else. They were on Newstalk earlier and doubled down on that position. Strikes me as an almost negligent approach to their patients.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭archfi

It is negligent.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Why is this in the Covid forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭jucko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,912 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I agree, pity I didn't know about the newstalk interview. Its abundantly clear if the notice put up states the surgerys position, they were intent on dealing with a single ailment and expecting patients to book seperate appointments and presumably for additional fees.

I'm just astonished they were foolish enough to put up such as notice and not expect a backlash.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

This is far from uncommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Outrageous. And phrasing it as an equation — ‘One appointment = one patient + one problem’ — is the rudeness of someone too crass to know they’re being rude.

Apart from what others have said about concerns too minor to warrant the time and expense of an appointment, but which might become significant if left untreated, no justification is given for the ‘patient safety’ explanation.

Advertisement