Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smart Tariff Unit Rates

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Just to throw a proverbial spanner in the discussion. I recently moved from BG to Energia via Bonkers. Around 35% discount off rates (I think), Rang Energia last week asking could I claim anything else. Level pay, smart electric meter discounts, etc etc. The guy told me I was on the best rate and not to look at any others. I was surprised to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

This "100% Green Electricity" is bull shxte and dose not exist. It is imposable to have 100% Green Electricity on less your generating it yourself.

Find the best deal your happiest with and move on and please dont pay more because they say its 100% Green Electricity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

I didn't even register the 100% green electricity BS since that's highly unlikely, SSE just have the lowest rates of them all for dual fuel at this time but I have a feeling it won't be long until they up them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭jkforde

so once the smart meter is installed, finally decided to rollover (pun?! 🤣) with Energia's Home Interactive smart tarrif (their 'choice' of smart tariffs is disingenuous at best, bordering on insulting) .. the Standing Charge is €30 more than what I now pay but the night rate is 0.11 (incl. VAT) and I reckon I'll be charging ~3 times a week (2012 Leaf 20kWh each time) to supplement the solar winter trickle, approx. €180 over 6 months of winter.. the day and peak aren't extortionate imho... this I think is cheaper than their EV tarrif with its huge Standing Charge of ~€330 and ~0.05 night rate.

.. all depending on night rate car charging usage of course!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭irishchris

energias rates slightly higher than that unless im missing something ?

this is what is on their website

Total Discounted Costs (inc. VAT)

day -17.17

night - 12.27

peak - 17.99

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭jkforde

🤣🤣 they've upped their rates since I checked!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

Yep most of them have announced now increases kicking in this month. Electric Ireland gone up a lot from tomorrow too. The plan I was looking at going for with them is now 330€ standing charge!!!

Yes EI and Energia are garbage now, only ones not increased are SSE and they said they don't have any increases coming but probably a lie also...

Well 🤬

I'd like to see them lower prices like the BS they spew:

“We will continue to monitor this carefully and, as we have done before, will look to reduce our prices as soon as it is possible to do so"

• Advertisement

Looks like after the SSE hike this is the new lowest tariff but it's a smart so unsure how that will work out if they force to stay on smart once you change from 24 hrs one

Hate to be the bearer of bad news again but these are going up in 5 days. Here's the new rates but still best of the smart deals

Yes forgot to say that.

But still cheapest even after the increase, it will go up by 11% I think.

New price is 15.46c I believe

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Honestly, they know full well these prices are for private individuals, why all the fluffing around ex VAT, trying to make head or tail of those monthly bills is a right pain, ex VAT, discounts, VAT etc, they make it hard to verify your rates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Energia's 24 hour rate on their cheapest electricity is 15.82 incl VAT. That seems to be the cheapest rate going. https://www.energia.ie/plans-and-switching-info/electricity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,434 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They don't make it easy to compare, do they?

What do I need to do to qualify for the Affinity discounts with Energia?

It looks like this deal from FLOGAS is better, though not specifically a smart tariff.

https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/flogas/YJPCLM/green-team-2020-dual-fuel/

Yes for dual-fuel the flogas offer is now the best - depending on how much you consume and if you don't have a Day/Night meter. The best provider varies based on your circs so bonkers is the real source of truth.

Thanks, is there any reason NOT to go with Flogas, any customer service nightmares or similar?

With flogas at the minute and been fine in terms of correct billing and decent customer service

Don't think flogas are the best, best I have found are separate elec and gas from bordgais:

However thsese unit prices will go up by 10% from next week, still cheapest than any other I can find and these are not on bonkers for some reason.

• Advertisement

That is a fantastic rate. I signed up for the same in March - but 32% was the bigest discount at the time. But I did not see it on bonkers when I checked so I assumed it was not available any more.

if i get a smart plan with either saturday or sunday free i will take it. I will charge my car on that day. My solar is 3.1kW so not the best for charging the car. My car is the biggest load, plus on saturday i will just plan to do all the heavy loads. no brainer really, considering the weekdays my load is tiny cos i am in work

Be aware that bord gais free Saturday or Sunday is capped at 25kw per week

Great price all right, but not available to me as an existing BG customer unfortunately. They're really working hard to persuade me to leave them.

I had to do the same with Energia. You just have to switch every year to get the best deals.

Yeah, bye bye BG.

This Flogas deal is pretty good too, lower unit prices, but no cashback.

https://www.flogas.ie/residential/price-plans/green-future-dual-fuel-35.html

Bonkers is telling me that the Green Team deal will save me about €100 more over the year, so I'm assuming I should take their advice.

Yep. If your usage numbers are reasonably accurate go for it.

So am I so if you have another person in your house get them to sign up.

That's what I'm doing, apparently new costumer then, stupidest thing I have ever heard but if it works then play the system.

Notice electric Ireland doing a 15c smart tariff 24hr rate now so at least the smart rates are starting to flatten out in line with the 24hr meter rates.

My flogas units have gone up to 22c with next rise at start of September. They were 16c in may when signed up and were one of the cheaper at the time.

Switched to bord gais free Sunday plan tonight and nice to have more realistic rates again. Be better obviously if rates start to drop but inmeantime will see out my year on this.

Surprised it took the entire 30 days before being able to switch to a smart plan whilst the meter got itself set up communicating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 632 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I got the smart meter installed however having read some of this thread, I am dreading my bill

Advertisement