Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm sure whoever you communicated with in BF did say that but bear in mind the person you rock up to in the check-in booth in Cherbourg or Rosscoff may have been given very narrow instructions and little discretion ie DCC or negative PCR test within 72 hours of scheduled arrival for each passenger plus a PLF or you're not boarding.

The poor guy in a D reg Ford Galaxy two cars ahead of me with at least 3-4 kids in the back looked like he spent literally 10 minutes trying to convince the lady at check-in that his paperwork was in order only to have security called who waved him through the booth, turned him around and sent back out of the port.

Maybe it was just a missing PLF or something simple (I hope) but it certainly caused him serious grief and unless he was able to fix the issue in 60-90 minutes he's still in Cherbourg unfortunately.

If I were you I'd make sure to get a confirmationary email from BF that the paperwork you have is officially acceptable otherwise you'll be trying to convince a complete stranger who's in a hurry to process customers that you had a phone call with their colleague who said .......

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭eltonyio

I have it in writing yes as I thought the same thing. I was prompted to ask the question because of the Malta issue. That said, it's pretty clear on their website that 'proof of vaccination' is acceptable and on all the Irish government websites it is stressed that it's not a precondition to travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Peckham

Arriving into Roscoff next Sunday morning (Brittany Ferries) and heading down towards La Rochelle. Any recommended stopping points along the way?

Hoping to stop for quick coffee and croissant before Rennes, then a decent 45 minute stop before Nantes. Will need to cater for 3 young kids.

Supermarket at one of the stops would be good, but easier said than done on a Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Any advice on how to use the search function on this thread on the new site ? It does not seem to be straight-forward !!

I am looking for advice on a good campsite to stay in the Loire Valley for 5 or so nights in July 2022. We are planning to head down to the south of France, and like the idea of breaking up the trip with a stay to see the castles and just have some general fun. Kids would be 10 and 8, so would like a place that would keep them entertained with a decent pool, water slides and some other activities such as kayaking or similar. Want to be based around the castles and vineyards (here's hoping), and not more than 5 hours from Cherbourg

Any recommendations most grateful !

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

Have a look at Les Nobis d’Anjou in Montreuil Bellay it’s just south of Saumur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Music Box

A good campsite is Flower Camping on Ile D'Offard right in Saumur. Really good campsite short walk to the centre of Saumur. Surrounded by vineyards also Chateau Saumur. Great town and approx 5 hours drive from Cherbourg.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

It's not going to tick the croissant box but we've used this McDonalds a few times for a quick pit stop just north of Rennes - https://goo.gl/maps/tA6CQZCWAc8UH5Um6 otherwise just pop off an exit ramp and you'll quickly find a Boulangerie but it may not have toilet facilities etc.

For Nantes, coming from the Roscoff direction, we've taken a lunch stop at the Centre Commercial Atlantis (https://goo.gl/maps/ZBNNmNoqHL4b11Mz7) which is a large shopping mall with plenty of food offerings and a Leclerc supermarket but bear in mind it'll all likely close by 12:30 on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

Doing the wine trip in 5 weeks. I need the passenger locator form when boarding to come back is it?

i have a link saved to my phone but when i fill in the form what happens the information after i submit? Does it go to my email and then i show the French the information?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

You need to show it at passport control in France. We printed ours off and they looked at them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Did the rules for children going to France change recently. I booked tests a while back for my 11 and 13 year olds, but now it seems under 12s don't need to be tested entering France. I'm almost sure it had been under 11s. I can cancel one of the tests but I'm paranoid it will change again

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭eltonyio

We went to France on 5th July, there was no test needed for under 12s at that point anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

We went to France on the 3rd of July and Stena Roslare check in asked (worriedly) for PCR test results for our 11 year old.

We had gotten them, so presumably they were required at the time, but I remember there was a lot of uncertainty about 11 year olds around then with some countries being 12+, some 11+ and some changing.

Post edited by josip on

Thanks. I was beginning to think I had just gotten it wrong. I've checked thoroughly and I can only find references to under 12 now so I think I will go ahead and cancel the 11 year olds test

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Heading next week- pin parasol. We've been before and love it- we stay in the newer section. There's a very luxurious pool (adult only 'spa' type pools etc) and in the mornings only people staying in the new section can stay there which is lovely as it doesn't get overly crowded. Then afternoons we go to the older section with all the slides etc. We usually go last week June though so Im sure August will be much busier.

Looking for recommendations for next year as we'd love to stay somewhere new. We are a little spoiled and do like our comforts so pins parasol ticks all those boxes. Has anyone been to La Brasilia in South? Or any other recommendations? I do love the look of Dordogne but campsites seem more rustic 😅. There's loads of lovely looking ones around Brittany but would prefer to be further south as we go around 22/24 June most years. We were supposed to be staying in Ile De Re too this year but when we moved from June to August we couldn't line up both campsites

If you don’t mind traveling down as far as the Gard area then take a look at Domaine de Massereau in Sommieres…. I think that it would meet your needs in terms of comforts.

if you like the look of the Dordogne then there is an excellent site in St. Leon sur Vezere, it’s called Le Paradis.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭MizMix

Thanks! Both options look amazing- I seem to keep looking at yelloh village so nice to get some options beyond that.

Any recommendations of somewhere to stop for a meal before getting on ferry from Ringaskiddy? Ideally as close to the ferry as possible with limited detour

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

We normally stop at McDonalds in Douglas. Very close to the main road from there, 15mins to the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭pmpa

The Bosun in Monkstown. We always eat there if we sail from Cork. Only a few minutes out of your way and less than 10 minutes away from the ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

We usually eat in Perry Street in Ringaskiddy, literally 90 secs from the terminal.

Thanks. We looked at there, but it seems from their Facebook page that they suffered flood damage last week and are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

I am going to Cherbourg on 3rd September. Returning to Dublin Port next day. It is a wine trip.

my father and I are both vaccinated. In relation to passenger locator forms what do we need to show leaving Dublin and leaving Cherbourg? Do i have to go onto a French site to get one for arrival there? (Are they separate forms for each country?’)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Its just a self declaration for the French side. Print it off from the French embassy site and just hand it in. I'm sorry I can't think off hand what it's actually called but you'll find it handy enough on the embassy site.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Deeman83

Sworn Declaration. It’s available on Irish Ferries site where they provide a link. French customs never asked for the form. They did scan the vaccine app though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Anyone got a recommendation for breakdown cover for France? Or do people bother with it?

only quote I can get is AA and it’s 129

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,623 ✭✭✭✭josip

Some manufacturers will include European breakdown cover if you get your car serviced on schedule with the main dealer.

Advertisement