Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 168 ✭✭Jeffm587

Was it a test lab or medical screening centre that you booked ? There are plenty of village screening centres around, some that don't need require appointment ( link to one near us https://www.bilancoronavirus.fr/depistage/vasles-79340/laboratoire-cabinet-infirmier ) but I'm not sure if they are doing pcr testing for travel reasons. The 72 hour timing is a bit of a challenge for us as return sailing is mon 23rd and we will be driving most of that day. I think we need to have it done for our 16yo on Sat afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kjm3

Yeah we are in a similar situation with the timings of the test to give ourselves enough time to get results before sailing. We will be fine for boarding but it will have been 75ish hours before we are in Dublin, hoping we won't have any issues. We booked with novabio .fr but I notice now they are only in Drodogne area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭The Ging and I

Just search under "PCR test Cherbourg" or where ever you are near. I used doctolib.fr and you get the results online early the next morning. Looking at their site in Cherbourg theres plenty of available slots. You can take a chance an drive in also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭josip

Here's the route from the ferry to the roundabout, Google Maps will have coverage from there on.

https://youtu.be/WlOpLUumpIc

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deeman83

Cruising on board WB Yeats now. Fairly full (60%) with plenty of trucks and vans. Some tourists although nowhere near normal levels. At check-in IF guy asked if we had Covid certs / tests etc and we said we had. He told us that the French are checking 1 in 4 cars so we should get lucky and not have any hassle.

We got our NI covid vaccine certs this morning which wasn’t ideal but better late than never.

I will update on french customs once we get settled after a day of driving down to the Vendee.

thanks for that , we are travelling up to and boarding in Cherbourg on the same day so I assumed there would be an issue at boarding if we just had the test taken but not the actual result . Would you know if that's not the case ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

We have stayed in Sylvamar in Labenne previously but I have been eyeing up Camping Capfun Le Bougidau as a potential for next year. Don't suppose that featured in your travels this year and, if it did, any opinions on it either way? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Does anyone know what time the ferry arrives in Rosslare? Leaves Cherbourg 1500. I think perhaps it is around 8am, does that sound right? Im just trying to plan where to get the pcr for my kids coming home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭54and56

No need to be worried about campsite or attractions etc. I've been in Bordeaux since July 11th (WBY was at about 10% capacity on the sailing over) and everything is open and more or less same rules as at home i.e. socially distance in queues and wear a mask indoors. No restrictions on indoor dining or drinking, no requirement to show proof of vaccination or negative PCR test (other than boarding the WBY and at Cherbourg) and no reduction in capacity / access to swimming pool or entertainment area's etc. It's basically the same as ever but with the universal Covid precautions of mask wearing indoors and social distancing in queue's we are all living with at home.

BTW, when looking for a PCR test for older kids or those without DCC's when returning home if you do a Google search you'll be bombarded with ton's of sites which purport to offer either testing or info on testing but all they are doing is harvesting your contact details for spamming at a later stage.

The official site to book PCR testing is https://www.doctolib.fr. You just need to enter your location (or allow the site to identify your location) and the nearest testing sites will be listed with their availability in diary format for the coming week etc. You click on a time and location you want (make sure it's within 72 hours OF ARRIVAL in Ireland), follow the appointment setup process (auto Google Translate using Chrome browser will be your friend) and bob's your uncle your PCR test is booked. One of my older kids had to fly back so I've been through the process and it was smooth. He turned up at the test centre with his passport, they tested him entered his email and mobile phone number and 24 hours later he got an SMS with a link to a downloadable cert confirming he was negative. They didn't charge him at all either which I think they're supposed to if you're not a French citizen but they just couldn't be bothered.

We've been onsite quite a long way down the south west coast near Mimizan for almost 3 weeks and haven't seen another Irish person or an Irish car either onsite or on any of our jaunting around and only one UK reg car. The Irish and English (normally about 20% of the site capacity according to one of the staff here) have all been replaced by "staycationing" French and Dutch and Germans who normally fly to Spain etc but are now driving overland for holidays due to Covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭ellee

Thanks a million, that's v useful info 54. Can't wait now, we're heading off on Thursday night 😄

I can only guess you will need the certs to board so it might be safer to go to Cherbourg a day early and get tested.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Am I missing something here... why are people not just getting the test done the day before their sailing before they leave their campsite? That's well within 72 hours of arrival in Ireland.

We are sailing on a Monday so as far as I can see there's nowhere available for testing on the Sunday , also wont be leaving from a campsite

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,546 ✭✭✭Peckham

FWIW I've downloaded the French equivalent of the HSE Covid app to my phone. It allows you to scan the QR code from your vaccine certificate so will present the details in a format that French places may be more familiar with. Saves you having to bring your vaccine cert with you when out and about in France.

App is called AntiCovid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

What is the price of diesel there? Fill up before leaving Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Cheaper than Ireland 1.38 in Blois

One minor correction, today whilst walking on a busy pedestrianised street I was asked by a policeman to wear my mask. He explained that there are signs on certain streets (busy pedestrianised streets from what I can see) requiring the wearing of masks as they are too busy for social distancing to be pragmatic but that's the only Covid measure here that I'm not used to seeing at home and TBH given the state of Grafton Street and surrounds on busy days and with big outdoor drinking crowds it's probably not a bad idea but not looking to spark a Covid discussion, just sharing info.

Yeah, 1.45 in a self service supermarket here which ae usually the cheapest but 1.75 in a motorway Aire which I always end up using and getting annoyed at the premium but in the scheme of things 50 Litres at €0.30 extra a litre = €4.50 to make sure I'm topped up for the rest of the journey without the hassle and extra time of having to leave and re-join the motorway network is worth it, especially when you realise it's the price of a small glass of Leffe these days 🤑

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭eltonyio

Would that not be €15 extra a fill at 50 litres?!

• Advertisement

Full marks!! Too laid back to correctly do the maths tonight. Might take the off ramp next time 😚

You might find more cash in the wallet for an extra leffe!

That's the last thing I need. Hitting the road for home in a couple of days so need to start the Leffe cold turkey :(

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭SJFly

Thanks for the info. Does the Irish covid app not work over there or is it just to have the cert in a familiar format?

I was camping in Mimizan last week :-)

The French equivalent of AA road watch is www.bison-fute.gouv.fr and its advising that this fri/sat is going to be the busiest days on the motorways especially on the A7 and A8. Its a useful site for traffic and Crit,air warnings. It has an English button on the top right.

Thanks for that, just checked the site and you're spot on, forecasting very heavy traffic this weekend.

Thankfully we like to leave early (will be departing the Mimizan area at 6am tomorrow morning) and mostly going against the holiday traffic so hope to be in Cherbourg by mid afternoon for a 21:00 sailing so should have 4 or 5 hours wiggle room for delays along the way.

Just confirm with the office on the campsite that you can leave at 0600 unless you have a swipe card.

Thanks, this is our 5th (and likely final) time here in Siblu La Reserve so I know the barrier closes at midnight and opens at 6am.

Despite our best efforts it's always closer to 6:30 by the time we've showered, packed the last few bits, got the teenagers out of bed and into the second half of their nights sleep in the car etc etc

Don't know how well the Irish app works. I just downloaded it so I could offer a familiar app if requested.

Correction, diesel in a motorway Aire is €1.55 not €1.75 so I wasn't being too flahoola topping up in the Aire rather than going off motorway!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deeman83

We are currently camping in the Vendee in La Garangeoire. Very few Irish about and very little English. Lots of french, Dutch and German.

The French border security scanned our Covid Vaccine App and it worked well. When we checked into our campsite the app was scanned and it didn’t work however they accepted it once they read the app details. Campsite is less than half full although they told me they are expecting more Irish and English in August.

Everything else is similar to Ireland. Mask wearing is almost 100% compliance. Supermarkets are not asking for apps as yet but apparently France are tightening the rules again on 1st August.

My advice to this summers travellers would be to not be anxious or nervous about tests or apps etc. If you have the cert/results etc the different french authorities will accept it.

FYI a fair few cars turned away at Stena check-in in Cherbourg just now for incorrect or non existent Covid paperwork ie valid DCC or negative PCR cert and Passenger Locator Forms pre completed online in advance of travel for each passenger etc

In the 30 minutes we were queueing and 20 or so cars that were processed before us 3 or 4 were denied boarding and turned back.

The DCC and PCR Cert QR codes are being scanned into their system which I'm guessing checks they are valid and in the correct timeframe etc.

Wonder how many were people forgetting about the passenger locator forms. Easily done in a few minutes and presumably just rejoin the queue.

PCR/DCC non-compliance not as easily fixed, and a nasty end to the holiday!

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Do you need to fill out a locator form even if fully vaccinated

Had a mate turned away because they couldn't read the PCR result off his phone and when they printed it it was wavey and the machine rejected it. They said it was false

Yes, one for each passenger.

Only takes a couple of minutes and you can download the receipt immediately to your phone to show at check-in.

"COVID-19 Passenger Locator Form" https://travel.eplf.gov.ie/en

Heard of that happening a fair bit. I'm bringing the vaccination card just in case.

Thanks for that had no idea and would have arrived up to Cherbourg next month without one.

• Advertisement

In case it is of use to anyone I queried with Brittany Ferries if they would accept 1 x HSE card + 1 other EU card covering a vaccine dose received abroad, for returning home (so no DCC) and they said yes, no problem as long it shows name, batch, dates, vaccine type. I imagine there will be a significant number of people across the EU who won't have DCCs yet because of taking doses in different countries.

I'm sure whoever you communicated with in BF did say that but bear in mind the person you rock up to in the check-in booth in Cherbourg or Rosscoff may have been given very narrow instructions and little discretion ie DCC or negative PCR test within 72 hours of scheduled arrival for each passenger plus a PLF or you're not boarding.

The poor guy in a D reg Ford Galaxy two cars ahead of me with at least 3-4 kids in the back looked like he spent literally 10 minutes trying to convince the lady at check-in that his paperwork was in order only to have security called who waved him through the booth, turned him around and sent back out of the port.

Maybe it was just a missing PLF or something simple (I hope) but it certainly caused him serious grief and unless he was able to fix the issue in 60-90 minutes he's still in Cherbourg unfortunately.

If I were you I'd make sure to get a confirmationary email from BF that the paperwork you have is officially acceptable otherwise you'll be trying to convince a complete stranger who's in a hurry to process customers that you had a phone call with their colleague who said .......

I have it in writing yes as I thought the same thing. I was prompted to ask the question because of the Malta issue. That said, it's pretty clear on their website that 'proof of vaccination' is acceptable and on all the Irish government websites it is stressed that it's not a precondition to travel.

Arriving into Roscoff next Sunday morning (Brittany Ferries) and heading down towards La Rochelle. Any recommended stopping points along the way?

Hoping to stop for quick coffee and croissant before Rennes, then a decent 45 minute stop before Nantes. Will need to cater for 3 young kids.

Supermarket at one of the stops would be good, but easier said than done on a Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

Any advice on how to use the search function on this thread on the new site ? It does not seem to be straight-forward !!

I am looking for advice on a good campsite to stay in the Loire Valley for 5 or so nights in July 2022. We are planning to head down to the south of France, and like the idea of breaking up the trip with a stay to see the castles and just have some general fun. Kids would be 10 and 8, so would like a place that would keep them entertained with a decent pool, water slides and some other activities such as kayaking or similar. Want to be based around the castles and vineyards (here's hoping), and not more than 5 hours from Cherbourg

Any recommendations most grateful !

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Newonhere

Have a look at Les Nobis d’Anjou in Montreuil Bellay it’s just south of Saumur.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Music Box

A good campsite is Flower Camping on Ile D'Offard right in Saumur. Really good campsite short walk to the centre of Saumur. Surrounded by vineyards also Chateau Saumur. Great town and approx 5 hours drive from Cherbourg.

It's not going to tick the croissant box but we've used this McDonalds a few times for a quick pit stop just north of Rennes - https://goo.gl/maps/tA6CQZCWAc8UH5Um6 otherwise just pop off an exit ramp and you'll quickly find a Boulangerie but it may not have toilet facilities etc.

For Nantes, coming from the Roscoff direction, we've taken a lunch stop at the Centre Commercial Atlantis (https://goo.gl/maps/ZBNNmNoqHL4b11Mz7) which is a large shopping mall with plenty of food offerings and a Leclerc supermarket but bear in mind it'll all likely close by 12:30 on a Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭McSween

Doing the wine trip in 5 weeks. I need the passenger locator form when boarding to come back is it?

i have a link saved to my phone but when i fill in the form what happens the information after i submit? Does it go to my email and then i show the French the information?

You need to show it at passport control in France. We printed ours off and they looked at them

• Advertisement
Advertisement