Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Pique

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

What about the White area on the NBI map? Thats where i am.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,504 ✭✭✭Speak Now

What did it say when you entered your eircode?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The white areas I assume are the boundaries between the deployment areas that haven't been defined yet, until the areas have been surveyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭baz9375

I went with Digiweb based on their customer service, I enquired with them a long time before we went live for order - They always kept in touch with updates and the information they gave was always spot on.

They answered all the billing and technical questions I had with ease and when I did need to contact them after connection they were easy to get through to and had my query resolved in minutes.

Anyone I've spoken to seem to have a genuine interest in the customer and great technical knowledge.

I went with the NBI 500 package and it's been rock solid for download and upload speeds since day one.

The Fritzbox was a big plus too as I use Smart DNS services and most of the ISP supplied routers are heavily locked down and don't allow you to edit the DNS.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭MoodeRator

Which Fritzbox do you get with Digiweb please?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

Im in the white area checked eircode and it says Premises Pending Survey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

What is the minimum specs for staying in the white commercial area, I have recently purchased a house in a rural village serviced by eVDSL, VDSL from the exchange which delivers 100mbps closer to the exchange but this drops off fast within around a 1km radius. I don't know what speed the house will get but I have recently applied to Vodafone to reactivate the previous copper pair landline on site. I want to know the specs and hope to include the house in the NBP and encourage the whole estate to do the same thing if I fall below the minimum speeds provided by a commercial operator.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

If you can't get speeds = to or greater than 30Mb down through a wired connection (ignore WISP's like Imagine, Lightnet etc) then you should be in the intervention area.

If you are on about the white areas on the map, I'm not sure what it means. Its odd they havent flagged this on their index but its NBI and info is sparse.

Put your eircode into the NBI checker. If its red it means youre not in the IA. Use https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail/main/ to see what speeds are available at your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭overthebridge

Hello *******,

The focus of the National Broadband Plan State led Intervention, the contract of which was signed in November 2019 with National Broadband Ireland (NBI), are those premises in the country that are unable to achieve these minimum speeds, and where commercial providers have confirmed to the Department that they have no plans to upgrade services to enable premises to achieve or exceed these speeds. The Department defines high speed broadband as a connection with minimum speeds of 30Mbps download and 6Mbps upload.

Our technical team have come back and informed us that ARDNACRUSHA, CO. CLARE, V94 **** currently gets HSBB, high speed broadband, at 70Mbps from the eir network and as a result is not part of NBI’s rollout. However this premises is part of Eir’s IFN and should have Fibre broadband in the area scheduled between now and January 2023 through a commercial provider.

We regret that we cannot be of more assistance  but hope the above information is of use.

Kind Regards

Catherine Mifsud

NBP

Got this back from NBI recently. Not sure about 70Mbps from EIR being available for me. EIR could only offer me 4G when I contacted them recently. I have my mobile with them and I'm definitey not getting 70Mbps 🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Think it’s more to do with the fact Eir intend to connect you to fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Keepitclean

I am in the Ballinasloe area. Out the Kiltormer side. My address was initially down as May to July 2021. It went pre order at the end of April.

Tried to get an update from NBI and its just the usual send us your eircode and they just say the exact same thing that is on their website. And won't go off script to provide any proper details.

So called Digiweb and they now say its going to be October. Almost there but very disappointing as I know the date will be pushed out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭clohamon

Well done on finding this. Is it possible to navigate to it from the NBI.ie home page?

SBP reporting that a formal change request has been submitted to NBI to reduce the roll-out to 5 years.

https://www.businesspost.ie/telecoms/rural-broadband-rollout-to-take-two-years-less-than-planned-cba9aa95?utm_source=twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭EarWig

All very mysterious at this point. I'm hoping once the Covid fog clears, a new schedule will be firmed up and published.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,476 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

It's linked from the rollout plan page, it replaced the page that had the map with the exchanges and fibre loops

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Agent Avenger

It’s also out of date! I’ve been moved from the Carrigaline deployment area in the spring to the Cork-Mahon deployment area yet there’s hardly any information about the Cork-Mahon boundaries and the dates have been changed six times so far. Should have been connected between Nov 20-Jan 21 now it’s Dec 21-Jan 22, I won’t believe it until we’re actually connected.

• Advertisement

DECC have released some bulk townland intervention data.

The five city centres are treated as settlements and include multiple townlands. (see DECC map for the areas included)

Overall the intervention seems to have increased to 549,771 as of May 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

It'll come. I counted 9 splicing crews around Ballinasloe almost every day in the last couple of weeks and crews that appear to be testing.

I was out Kiltormer/Kilimor direction during the week. Lots done out there than there was a couple of weeks ago. Things will fall into place once the Ballinasloe area is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Was there any more details in that? I mean it sounds like they just went "ah yeah lets do it in 5 instead". NBI look at it and go "Oh 5 years? Sound, why didnt we think of that".

Any info on how? Considering they are already way behind, how are they able to accelerate. And does the 5 years include the one already gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

The rollout of the state’s multibillion-euro rural internet scheme is to be slashed from seven years to five after the government formally requested that National Broadband Ireland (NBI) accelerate the process.

The Business Post has learned that the Department of Communications (DECC) issued an official change request in late June, setting in motion the process by which the rollout of the national broadband plan to 540,000 homes and businesses can be accelerated.

The department’s decision to pursue a faster rollout schedule comes amid significant early delays to the project. Those delays will result in tens of thousands fewer people gaining access to the network this year than had been anticipated.

The plan is lagging well behind its initial target of making the network available to 115,000 premises by the end of the year. Instead, it will now aim to reach just 60,000 by the close of 2021.

As of mid-June, just 632 of the 540,000 homes and businesses were connected to the network.

A spokesman for NBI confirmed that a request had been received from DECC to “formalise the acceleration of the rollout of the network”.

“NBI is in ongoing dialogue with the department on this matter and is not in a position to comment on the process, timing or content of contractual matters still to be finalised,” he said.

A DECC spokesman said any changes required detailed technical, commercial and financial analysis. He said it was expected a faster rollout could be delivered within the maximum €2.7 billion state subsidy the government had committed to.

“A dedicated team in NBI is working on the acceleration plan for the rollout to potentially shorten the current contracted schedule of seven years,” he said.

“As part of this work, NBI is engaging with current build partners (Eir and Enet) and all contractors to reschedule build activities and to review potential additional build partners/contractors to speed up the build process.”

A redacted copy of the letter sent by Fergal Mulligan, the NBP programme director, to NBI shows he said the purpose of sending the request was to “seek to put proposals from NBI to accelerate the contracted deployment on a contractual footing as soon as possible and to inform stakeholders of the revised timelines”.

In the correspondence, released under Freedom of Information legislation, Mulligan referenced a review of progress under the contract’s milestones and said the minister would determine whether it was appropriate to pursue the accelerated schedule based on these discussions.

NBI would also be required to demonstrate “clear actions” that would facilitate the acceleration of the project, he added, while a new governance structure would also be established.

Separately, new figures seen by the Business Post show that NBI will need to significantly ramp up the rollout for the remainder of 2021 to reach even the reduced targets of passing 60,000 premises it has set itself.

Projections shared with broadband providers at the end of June showed the number of premises passed rose from 1,200 in the first quarter of the year, to 5,900 over the past three months.

Between July and the end of September, NBI is hoping to pass 14,300 homes and businesses before accelerating significantly in the final three months to pass 42,400 premises in the last quarter, 35 times the number achieved between January and March.

Based on NBI’s projections, which it noted were subject to change, the company expects to make the network available to 63,800 premises by the turn of the year with a further 12,000 available for pre-order.

An NBI spokesman said: “It’s important to note that the figures cited are incremental and not cumulative. We have previously indicated that 50,000 to 60,000 premises will be passed by the end of our contract year and that remains the projection.”

NBI’s contractors were permitted to continue working during the pandemic but the company has pointed to difficulties and delays it caused as a reason for its slow progress to date.

NBI reference their "contract" year above. If that's the 9th January it pretty much tallies with how Minister of State Ossian Smyth responded to Ruairi Ó Murchú TD on the 27th of July.

"NBI now expects to pass just under 60,000 premises by the end of 2021. NBI has committed to putting in place mitigation measures to address the impact of the pandemic on the programme to date."

"...Minister Ryan has recently written to NBI seeking to put the acceleration of the programme on a contractual footing. This will require detailed technical, commercial and financial analysis and these considerations are underway."

"I expect to be in a position to bring an update to Government on progress on delivery of the NBP and the potential for acceleration in the Autumn."

nb. Minister only talks about 'an update..on...the potential for acceleration', and 'the Autumn' ends at the end of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Strettie11

This is sounding like putting forward a plan to accelerate forwards a car without an engine that is rolling backwards down a hill

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Got my install date of the 18/08! Less than 2 weeks and i'll finally be able to download work datasets during working hours rather than having to leave my machine on all night and hope that it's done by the following day, nd no more disconnecting from the internet when my partner is having a video call!

Great news. Delighted for you - that first speedtest is a special moment :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭fish fingers

I am the 19th of August. Looking forward to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,632 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

Next door neighbours got an install date of the 17th. We pre-ordered before them and heard nothing yet!

Advertisement