Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

About 10/11 weeks since it went to pre order, (it went to pre order two weeks before that but change to a newer date and they went back to pre order but so don't count it,) hopefully not too far away now

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Haven't received a text from Digiweb but was notified by email that I am part of the rollout that goes live on the 16/08. Hoping that the time between the network going live and actual install date isn't too long

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Lots of surveying around Thomastown in Kilkenny the last couple of weeks.

Good to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

The text message said "We can now confirm that you'll receive an SMS with a confirmed install date week beginning 16/08/21."

I can't tell if that means we'll receive the date on the week of the 16th of August or will the install be on the week of the 16th of August?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Hard see how little progress/info is being made still for those of us stuck in "premises pending survey".

A local County Councillor slated the NBI on Facebook recently. Said they are giving no information, refusing to give any timelines etc. Its lead to a majority of Councillors all promoting Imagine.

Sure enough, there are Imagine vans EVERYWHERE in North Galway at the moment. My home house in Mayo also has Imagine vans everywhere. The sales guy told a relative there is zero chance of Fibre ever coming to the area. It almost feels like that these days.

They seem to be really going after the areas NBI have left until 2027.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Installs will begin from 16/08/21. We hope to be able to confirm exact install dates a couple of weeks prior to that. We are hoping to get as many installed as possible that week but some may be the following week. Pre orders will be front of the queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I'm in Cork west of the Carrigaline area and my timelines were similar to you, started off saying to be connected Dec 20 -Feb 21 but still not connected.....Its been available to pre-order since early may but still no go live.......they have been up and down my road for nearly a year at this stage

Anyway that's my parents house, I am building a house next to them and I registered the Eircode only early this year so missed the first round of surveys and my Eircode is pending survey on the NBI site. Rang NBI and they told me they wont survey my house until its gone live and they have crews back in the area doing connections. Its getting tight now for my move into my new house to have the fancy BB 😪

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 24 imme62

I just used the eircode checker to see that im in the "planned intervention area" with no date given for survey. What does that actually mean? Is it years away?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Im the same so no idea of dates, the only thing is I have seen vans in the locality so getting closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MunsterM

Same here ( Tallow deployment area), no sign of anything happening.

Years away unfortunately. Survey completion to actual connection is about 1.5 years. So yeah, your looking at anything from 3-6 years from now. They are also way behind their targets so could be even longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

Keep seeing vans around my way, It seems like just passing through as still pending survey 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Came out of the house yesterday morning to find NBI branded vans digging up the footpath outside beside an eir manhole.

Delighted! Asked the lads when will I be connected and he said" months.. you'll be waiting on eir to connect you"

Wtf has eir got to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Stick a Tx/Rx on both your roofs. Something like a Ubiquiti nanostation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

I presume he means that NBI will be providing the fiber network but they won't be providing you with internet. You'll need to sign up with Eir or one of the other providers for your internet service but it will be run over the NDI fiber.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ShaunC

Not necessarily, the website is notoriously slow to update.

That said don't get too excited, I was due fiber in Aug, then it moved to Oct, now its due in Jan, I'm not holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,480 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

I would do that and it would fit in nicely with my Unifi set up (Dream Machine Pro etc) I have already lined up for the new house.. but when I mean my parents are next door I mean that in a in the farming country side sense😋 in that they are a couple of fields away and over a hill and are not line of sight

Other news they were able to pre order 1st week in May and still no sign of connection, so I got a hold of NBI and now they are telling me it should be September before go live.....that's nine months from their original timeframe. I would love to know what the problems are....since I have a DP box outside my house for the past 6 months

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

This thread seems to have dried up a lot since that week of downtime. This place used to be a great place for updates on the progress of the rollout. Such a pity the Boards issues seem to have killed the discussion.

Anyway, I received an NBI leaflet through my door today telling me “High speed broadband is on the way”.

Is this something that has been sent out to everyone, or is it a good sign that we may have Fibre soon?

I’m in the Portlaoise DA and connection estimate is Feb-Apr 2022, but I haven’t heard or any work starting in this DA yet, and we’re still in “Survey Underway”, so I’m fairly skeptical of that timeframe to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Our area has been network build in progress for nearly 9 months and down for Feb 22 - May 22. They probably wont even hit that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭scunermac

😂 fantastic. In that case I guess I should expect a delay sooner rather than later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

It looks like they have finished installing the fibre and DP's in my area. I presume there will be a testing phase next?

Not sure if its boards and the issues plus poor functionality or there simply looks to be little to no new info about NBI at all these days.

Even their "we are now surveying in X townlands" has gone very quiet. I've been keeping an eye on their rollout page and no new areas have been added to their "survey planned" section in months, bar one which was delayed and moved into it.

The Twitter account is just "Terry and Susan are here to answer questions".

We are still premises pending survey, [north Galway] with zero new info or survey timeframe. Id kill for even an estimated year time frame.

This accelerating the rollout thing also gone completely dead too. Im expecting to hear that the program will take longer than the initial 7 year time frame to be honest.

If I had a year ETA, then I'd be able to consider Starlink more seriously at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Mor-Riomhaire

Seeing lots more fibre loops hanging from poles around the area of Roscommon town and beyond. Not seeing any progress on N63 side yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Orebro

The closest NBI connection dates are 2023 so you'd be safe enough getting Starlink and be out of a contract by the time fibre is available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭TheSegal

Has anyone got an installation date from their ISPs for after 16/08 yet? Hoping Digiweb sends one on soon

As far as I know, Starlink is contract free but not 100%. Its mainly the fact I dont want to pay 500 euro equipment charge + find/pay someone to install the dish on the roof and unnecessary drilling on the house. Also there are still a couple of months wait time for it to be delivered for some.

Speeds have been very impressive with Starlink in Ireland so far, way better than I imagined, but I do have concerns over reported long outages. Plus there is that 100 euro a month charge. I should know more by September if working from home for work is going to be expected going forward too.

Looks like they have added a little map to the Rollout page. https://nbi.ie/deployment-area-rollout-map/ and interestingly calls out how many premises are included in each deployment area.

Looks to have replaced the table they were using initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭johnnyboy08

There seems to be a big draw for digiweb with the posts here. I'm signed up for pre-order with them too but wondering what's the driver considering their price per month over 2 or 3 years is pricier compared to other operators. Is it their customer service, the fritzbox or other operators are considered a poorer option?

Post edited by johnnyboy08 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Forgive my ignorance but is NBI providing FTTH or FTTC? I'm in the intervention area and the website currently says January to April 2022

Advertisement