Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a cashless society mean the end of illegal drugs and other crime ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭deise121

bitcoin is not untraceable and you're an absolute idiot if you think it is

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭bigmac3

If you put it in an NFT, it is. You’re a complete and utter idiot, if you don’t know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

It wouldn't wipe it out completely but it would make it a lot more difficult for them, especially if they're not tech savy. I haven't used cash in ages. I don't miss carrying all the small change around. In China you can actually pay for items with your face now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Have they fixed multi-quoting yet?

@Fly_away I was against cash long before covid. And it's true. You've no idea if the cash you handle at any stage has been in some scrotes hole or infected socks, or some mingers snatch or manky bra. That on top of the general public who still, after a global pandemic, can't manage basic hygiene handling it... no, I've had that thought for a long time, and covid has only recently become part of my distrust of handling cash. Shared seating; that's one of my points I'll be making about not returning to work, for the same reason of the general hygiene one above.

@Strumms it's not 100% reliance anymore though. Most banks offer the ability to link your card to your Google/Apple Pay, so even if your card or phone get stolen, get another cheap modern phone, log in with your Google/Apple account, pass a bit of security and boom, back in action. And it'll get easier going forward, as cash starts to phase out in most major places imo.

I just carry a bunch of saffron around and shave off a bit here and there to pay for my purchases. You need a good knife though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭RulesOfNature

There are literally a hundred ways of making bitcoin untraceable. You are the absolute idiot here.

'B-BUT ITS A PUBLIC LEDGER'

Hello, I'd like to introduce you to mixers, tumblers, blockchain hoppers, DNM wallets and monero.

They literally could not. By law Revolut, n26, etc etc have to be transparent to the government.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ah yeah, but shur not every app is legal. Where there's a will, there's a way. Maybe not Revolut and the likes (unless your dealer is your mate, then I can't really see an issue there, could be played off as lending cash on nights out). But there will be something, no doubt, should society go cashless.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

EUR goes digital, black market cash economy moves to GBP or USD and carried on as of nothing happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

It's only a matter of time before society goes cashless as most young adults don't use cash, so it'll be much easier to implement in time. The pandemic has also accelerated this as more and more transactions in general are cashless. A cashless society will not mean an end to organised crime, in fact it could lead to an increase in crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cash has always been seen as filthy.

People are just starting to listen a bit more now.

As for public toilets........................

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Genuine question - what happens when IT systems go down (like the Ulster Bank debacle of a few years ago)?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Crime will always find a way, always has. It won't disappear.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,957 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

In relation to the specific question, No. Bitcoin (which I still can't get my head around to be honest) seems to be the new choice of currency for certain large scale criminal enterprises albeit governments around the world seem intent on legislating its use albeit proving very difficult. There's also I suppose the uncertainty around its viability. Large scale Traffickers have proved quite resilient in coming up with creative ways to operate.

I do think however areas such as the Black economy will be curtailed substantially as we move more and more to a cashless world with every financial transaction verifiable as such.

Online / Digital banks have tightened up also becoming far more rigorous in monitoring large transactions.

Certainly the day to day lower ranking street dealers will thankfully find it more challenging and that's not a bad thing.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭blackbox

The logical way to get rid of crime associated with illegal drugs is to make those drugs legal.

Getting rid of cash doesn't get to the core problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭deise121

and you know what's completely untraceable? CASH changing hands. The average criminal will not know how to make a bitcoin transaction untraceable.

It would go cashless too. Cryptocurrency already used for criminal purposes.

Criminals are usual several steps ahead of commentary.

You have this mindset that cash and crypto are somehow competing when in reality they have their own separate purposes. With crypto you can transfer millions and millions of currency easily over countries and borders, something you cant do easily with cash. Cash might be good for low level criminals and dealers, but at the high level they're using cryptocurrency.

So yeah it just depends on your operation, and how savvy you are with modern ways of circumventing laws. The 'average' criminal is an idiot, but a very smart one will know how to hide their trail through cryptocurrency.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I really cannot understand people who prefer plastic over cash. Tap and go takes longer, often fails the first time, and don't even start me on tapping with a phone. Hasn't happened often but I refuse to use any business that doesn't accept cash (I also refuse to use any of the increasing amount of McDonald's branches that only allow you to order on the kiosk rather than at the till).

Another one that baffles me about tap and go, so many vendors keep the machine out of view, you haven't a breeze how much you are tapping for.

People who use card basically have no respect for anybody else, phuck you, I'll take five attempts to tap using Apple Pay if I feel like it, you can wait behind me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

I should probably add- I have absolutely no idea what the point in Revolout is, despite everyone and their dog trying to convince me to get it.

You owe me 20 quid? Hand me 20 quid, not have me checking my balance for a transfer. Ain't nobody got time for that etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Doesn't matter if stolen or for a tax free cash in hand job, you can take that money and pick up the weekly shop but you're not doing that with any crypto.

If you're paid in crypto if you want to use it for most things you've to sell it, and then it'll go into your not very traceable cash free future account. There'll be money laundering of course but I doubt the CAB will have any problem when someone sells you a 100k car for a €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

This is priceless. You don't like handling cash for fear of getting a disease yet you have no problem punching in your PIN code into a keypad that hundreds of people have also touched that day. If viruses can adhere to cash so easily they can adhere to any damn surface you touch in the course of your daily activities. Door handles, counter tops, a book/magazine in a bookshop, items of clothing in a shop that have been picked up and put down again, every fcuking item in the supermarket that has been, you know, put on the shelves BY HAND. A super spreader of viruses 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

in china most items are bought using wepay or other apps , it is the leading country regarding digital surveillance ,it has advanced face recognition camera,s and standard camera,s in every city .people still illegal buy drugs, theres still smuggling and criminal gangs .say i wanted to buy drugs without using cash,drug dealers would accept a pack of cigarettes or other high value items instead of cash.if cash disappeared crime would still happen, drug dealers would still get paid .

even in sweden or other countrys 10 per cent of items are bought with cash.i cant see a european country making cash illegal in the next 20 years .not everyone uses apps or uses a smartphone .some people use basic phones with txt or to make calls.

Cards & PIN pads are rapidly becoming quaint tech at this stage.

Most of my electronic payments are made by mobile or watch, which aren’t subject to a €50 limit as they’re authenticated by the mobile using a pin, biometrics or pattern.

Why was this comment flagged?! Makes absolutely no sense. New boards sucks.

I got some weird notification about it.

Sorry I bothered commenting.

Mostly every post on this page of the thread is flagged, any random can do it.

I've accidentally done it when the site started back up, I though it'd be like the mod cards and it'd link to a whiny mod post but nope I just accidentally added a second spam flag to someone who's post didn't seem like there was anything wrong with it.

Can't even tell who's a mod anymore.

• Advertisement

I got a notification in my control panel about it. Assumed I'd been infracted.

Advertisement