Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

@[Deleted User] - would you be able to post that JS hack in the DIY thread please? Appending the thread title to the breadcrumbs. Would be very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You might want to choose your words a bit better there, F. Not exactly sure what you’re trying to say and, because of that, your sign off isn’t a good “look”, at all.

Anyway, from reading the various threads on the “upgrade”, it really does seem that once those, previously mentioned, changes are “implemented” the only ones left complaining will be the malcontents.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mossie

I think there's more to the complaints people have than those issues. There's a huge issue with navigation generally, especially with "My Forums", drop down menus for locating categories and forums and several more no doubt. Looking from outside it really seems Boards research into Vanilla was somewhat lacking or they totally missed what boards users want or both. Whatever the issues the outcome is a big drop in posting on most forums and no guarantee that will return.

Well Emmet, when the 'malcontents' leave, all your brown-nosing might end up with you getting to moderate an echo chamber all for yourself. It's clear enough that's what you're vying for after all. Your continuous attempts to over-simplify things here, to dismiss others legitimate grounds for complaint and so on are tiresome.

Folks are very understandably angry about how this was handled, but for my part it's about the migration of my personal data. Even now with two links to notices on the footer not hitting a dead end, it states clearly that data will not be stored outside of the EEA. Which it is. Even with the DPC involved in discussions with Odhran they still can't get this stuff right.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I never got the hate for the search function here, maybe in the early days ok, but the last 10 years id say its been pretty good, i mean i never could find that thread where the OP was out chatting up a couple of girls, and somehow used the word 'retarded' in relation to slowing down his car... but that's probably more to do with my use of search terms rather than a failure on boards' part

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,402 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Is there ANYTHING to be said for the responsive site navigation menu....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

you would have though that boards would have setup a test vanilla install and worked out the basic features before the migration?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'll bet good money they did and Vanilla signed off on it and said "No bother eh" to get the business. Then when it came to the crunch it was a bother. Now I'm sure at the Boards.ie end there would have been some unforeseen glitches, they always happen, but again I'll bet that much of it was happening five hours behind on the Canuckistan side. And then they closed for the weekend... And they still are closed on weekends from what I can see. So even if Mark the dev, who must have worn away his fingerprints and nerves by now, had everything sorted and ready to go last night nothing would happen until lunchtime on Monday and then add a few hours for them to implement it. If they could. Rinse and repeat.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,512 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I find its quicker to just type in the Google browser bar: Masterchef - Boards.ie and that's better I think than using the actual boards search function. Now I was using that before the changeover so maybe harder now as old pages from my cache brings me to an error now.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

@Boards.ie: Odhran this is an excellent suggestion. Put all the updates in a sticky. It's impossible to follow what is happening otherwise. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I don't think the site owes me anything really and some of the personalised criticism of the employees is out of order, but wouldn't you agree that it's a bit busted up from a users perspective? Broken navigation, forums missing, basic functionality - being able to quote people properly, searching through posts etc, etc - MIA. These aren't just aesthetic features

And traffic is way down, clearly. That can't be all put at the door of the permanently disaffected. It'd be one thing if this thread was hopping and the rest of the site was continuing on regardless in rude health, but that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

https://community.mural.co/categories/feature-ideas

This company also use vanilla and have a forum where users can suggest features and vote on features that they want to see most - any chance something like this can be considered? It would give users an outlet to influence the site and let the site admins prioritise stuff that is important to the actual users.

There is a perception that the site admins dont use boards and don't care what the users think - a system like this would go a long way to bridge that gap.

@Boards.ie: Odhran

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

The massive reduction in traffic over the last 2 weeks is all the proof needed what a dreadful mistake migrating to vanilla has been. It’s just so unbelievably difficult to navigate what was always a really user friendly site.

For the sake of the sites future something needs to change

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

I think this is the change. No going back, it just depends on whether there is a user base left by the time they've finally made it any way user friendly.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭poker--addict

• Registered Users Posts: 14,397 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

That's basically it.

It was spelt out fairly clearly that boards wasn't making enough money to continue as it was, so this is where we are. Rolling back etc is never going to happen

Boards - such as it is now - is going to take a huge hit. A proportion of people are gone and will stay gone, less people means less posts, less posts means even less people and it becomes a negative spiral. But if it's all about maintaining a site with less time, effort and money - which the business is entitled to do, as much as some refuse to accept that - then maybe none of that really matters in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Neowise

post numbers

anility to post tables that are not pictures

user post counts per thread and being able to see all on one users posts on a single thread easily.

search per user that goes beyond 10 results (currently, when you click next, it goes haywire)

search this thread would be better, but nit essential, as we can put title of thread in search box, but its is borker at present beyond frst page of results. see 11th result to see what i mean.

thats a start, sort that please so we can have forum games here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Neowise

you can search within threads by copying the title and putting "" inverted commas around the title, but its very poor, and after page 1 the results are wild.

well, im my experience, i have been also using the author field, and thats whats being going wild, like i say title = "Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)" author = "Neowise" i find all my posts in this thread, but as soon as i go to next page, that is, my 11th comment in this thread, everything goes haywire.

I agree search this thead would be better, but we do currently have search, and title = "Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)" will search this thread, but its quite broked.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,869 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Anyone know why this bar is here which stays on the same place when I scroll ?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 120Filmshooter

Not sure if I am posting in the correct place here but....I can't seem to see my received PMs ? I can only see some sent ones ?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Have mods lost the ability to ban people? Trolls all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

What is the actual substitute for My Forums on the mobile site? And can you follow forums still?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

ALL PM's seam displayed as conversations - include both send and received. Not saying it works 100% especially with "caried over" from old good boards

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Dark mode and thanks are the least of my worries. They're easy fixes...and let's face it, non issues. The rest of the site is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

There is a post on page 73 which is a blatant attack on an individual and is totally unnecessary. It is also a breach of site rules.

Unfortunately it has received 3 likes which is more a reflection on those 3 members than it is on the individual being attacked.

The 14 members who flagged that post are more in keeping with the decent membership here on Boards.

I wouldn't dignify the post by quoting it here.

@Boards.ie: Mark @Boards.ie: Niamh @Boards.ie: Odhran

That post & the portion of the post quoting it a few posts below should be deleted immediately.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mossie

I think there was a mention that mods were having problems because of the update and that mods tools are at the head of the queue to be fixed. Until then trolls, abuse, etc might slip through.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Two things I've noticed this morning....

On touch site, on phone....

1. When I use the bookmarks menu, a lot of the time (i can't definitely say every time) when i click on the thread title I'm taken to the last post of a thread, not to the first unread post. So I'm scrolling up and down and back pages like a mad thing to make sure I haven't missed any posts.

2. When I click on a word to make it bold/italics, etc, the banner with those options appears for a nanosecond, but then changes to the copy/paste/cut menu - so I can't edit the style of any text.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭archfi

TBH, on the threads and forums I'm on, I've hardly seen any abusive/troll/spam posts compared to before! Maybe that's due to user dropoff or the mod triggers are lightening fast.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,389 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Yeah I'm aware of that and I suppose that's all the more reason why decent members here should flag attacks on individuals regardless of who they are or what their position here is.

Regardless of how upset some members are with the current state of play, attacking an individual is simply WRONG at any time and is just a cowardly action carried out from behind ones keyboard.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement